C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

she ain't as quick as she used to be ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
she ain't as quick as she used to be ...

hey guys,

i did a search on the forums, but only found stuff related to CEL's. i am not showing a CEL, but lately ive noticed that my car just doesnt have the pep that it used to. of course, this could just be that im used to driving my other cars which are newer, but i dunno. i got 92k on it, and am planning to change the spark plugs and air filters (havent done those ever yet). anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could be? basically feels like im starting in winter mode, although im in summer mode.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
hey guys,

i did a search on the forums, but only found stuff related to CEL's. i am not showing a CEL, but lately ive noticed that my car just doesnt have the pep that it used to. of course, this could just be that im used to driving my other cars which are newer, but i dunno. i got 92k on it, and am planning to change the spark plugs and air filters (havent done those ever yet). anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could be? basically feels like im starting in winter mode, although im in summer mode.
somethings getting clogged on your car!
all the wear n tear parts should be replaced!
sparkpluggs
maybe a bad ignition coil
wires maybe?
fuelfilter
brakefluid
glycol
airfilters
olio de oliva in da engina
check your MAF and o2 sensors but then you should have got an CEL!
Good luck
Old 02-15-2010, 11:21 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Do ECU pedal reset and drive the car aggressively for a day or two... the ECU will relearn a more aggressive driving pattern and car should feel peppier again.

Ultimately at the end of the day though you are probably just getting used to the power. Luckily you can always just add more with a few simple bolt-ons of your choosing.

hope that helps
Old 02-15-2010, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
98 C43, 15 Alfa 4C LE, 18 Tesla Model 3 DM Perf, 08 Duc S1000, 02 Duc 998, 98 Duc 748, 01 Miata
Without knowing to what degree it feels that way, it is hard to say. If things feel normal at partial throttle but lackluster at full throttle, that could be the early signs of a bad MAS. Eventually you'll throw two codes, running lean on each cylinder bank. If you get replacement sensors that use the existing housing, its about a $130 or so fix. Not very difficult to do.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Also forgot to mention, the throttle cable loosens up over time. Dial in the throttle cable by tightening the throttle adjuster in the engine bay. You can pull out as much as a half inch of slack. Often times that alone can help eliminate some of the slack and allow the car to go full throttle again. Hope that helps.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:58 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
99 c43,90 mustang gt supercharged convertible,07 acura tl type s, Hummer H3t pickup
Can someone elaborate on how to do the pedal ECU reset,THANKS!
Old 02-15-2010, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
thanks for the advice, guys. i appreciate it.

mostly, the car feels less-peppy-than-it-used-to-be when starting off from low speeds, as if i am driving in winter mode. also, when i'm at speed and wanting to hard accelerate to pass, if feels like the transmission isn't kicking down all the way, like the car isn't going shifting down to the lowest possible gear. again, no CEL, though.

one possible cause that i failed to mention is that at my last fill up, the gas pump messed up and selected regular when i pushed the premium button. only about half a gallon went in to the tank before i corrected the problem, though. dunno. maybe after this tank burns off and i refill it with the proper grade things will be different, although from what i've learned, higher octane ratings don't make more power, they just prevent predetonation ...

maybe ill just have to throw a SC in that **** and call it a day. lol.

Last edited by m a x i m u s; 02-15-2010 at 03:12 PM. Reason: poor grammar!