98 C43 VS 01'S4-Pro's & Con's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by mufflerman
I am going to be careful with my response here, I don't want to challenge yours or anyone elses opinion here with any disrespect, but you are very mistaken about real track drivers.
I instruct for trackmasters racing and at least half of our staff uses forced induction cars, a properly tuned turbo car is linear and predictable in throttle response and they can be signifigantly lighter than N/A cars that make the same power. Furthermore companys like Porsche, Nissan, Saleen, Ferrari, Audi, etc have all been extremely successful in road racing using F/I powerplants. I think that most people relate the power output of Turbo cars to those built for drag racing, and yes that sort of setup is quite explosive when boost come on, but road race cars are usually setup to be very linear. The 2.7TT Audi engine even with the larger Ko4's is also very linear, and other than reliability issues, makes a great track engine.
Again please don't take offense, just giving you some insight from inside the road race circle.
No offense at all, just re-proves my point for a "real racers" need for linear power response.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
I love turbocharged cars. Give me a Porsche 997 GT2 anyday!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
98 C43, 15 Alfa 4C LE, 18 Tesla Model 3 DM Perf, 08 Duc S1000, 02 Duc 998, 98 Duc 748, 01 Miata
Forced induction is one of a number of ways to make power and it is certainly no stranger to road racing. A positive displacement supercharger will have a very linear power curve. Porsche has been using turbochargers to win races for decades. Audi uses turbochargers on their diesel racecars, which dominated prototype racing recently.

I urge people here to not get stuck on thinking the W202 AMG is some how the most wonderful car to ever grace the planet. It certainly has it's merits and that is why we all bought one, but it is not the end-all, be-all in any category. Don't be blind to the fact that the S4 is a good car and in some ways it is better than the C43/36 and in other ways it is worse. I'd be careful about throwing out 'facts' about that are actually your opinion without any basis in reality. Informed opinions are helpful here, uninformed ones are not.