C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Trunk spring explosion! hahaha! DIY Repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trunk spring explosion! hahaha! DIY Repair

Okay, so yesterday i was backing out of my driveway, and i stop so i could look at the buttons to close the garage. Out of nowhere, i just hear this HUGE clang from somewhere around the car! I thought it was the tranny that decided to fall apart on me, so i threw it in park, hit the parking brake, and got out. Did a quick check around the car to make sure it wasn't anything else, then looked under the car to see if there were any fluids leaking.

After two minutes of visual diagnostics, it seemed like nothing was wrong. But i was confused crapless as to what sound that was. I get back in the car, hit reverse and the car rolls backward like normal. Okay, scratch the tranny problem.

I get to my destination, and park. I pull the trunk lever in the center console as usual, and i hear it open in the back. I go out to lift open the trunk (it's set to not swing open originally), but then notice it's extremely hard to lift it! And that's when it hit me that the spring that helps lift the trunk snapped! It takes a good amount of force to lift the trunk, and if it's not up all the way it'll just slam down with alot of force. ohnooo!

I haven't had time to see if the spring actually snapped, or if it simply fell out. In the near future i'm going to check it out and DIY guide a repair on this thread. But just out of curiosity, has this happened to anyone before?
Old 02-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by thepinoc
Okay, so yesterday i was backing out of my driveway, and i stop so i could look at the buttons to close the garage. Out of nowhere, i just hear this HUGE clang from somewhere around the car! I thought it was the tranny that decided to fall apart on me, so i threw it in park, hit the parking brake, and got out. Did a quick check around the car to make sure it wasn't anything else, then looked under the car to see if there were any fluids leaking.

After two minutes of visual diagnostics, it seemed like nothing was wrong. But i was confused crapless as to what sound that was. I get back in the car, hit reverse and the car rolls backward like normal. Okay, scratch the tranny problem.

I get to my destination, and park. I pull the trunk lever in the center console as usual, and i hear it open in the back. I go out to lift open the trunk (it's set to not swing open originally), but then notice it's extremely hard to lift it! And that's when it hit me that the spring that helps lift the trunk snapped! It takes a good amount of force to lift the trunk, and if it's not up all the way it'll just slam down with alot of force. ohnooo!

I haven't had time to see if the spring actually snapped, or if it simply fell out. In the near future i'm going to check it out and DIY guide a repair on this thread. But just out of curiosity, has this happened to anyone before?
those springs do snap off occasionaly!
there has been others who reported this ****!
I bet it's to much stress on the spring and it breaks!

lucky for you it didn't blow up in your face!
Old 02-27-2010, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 C280, 06 530i, 99 Carrera Cab, 00 Suburban
This happened to my C280. The spring doesnt break but the attachment point breaks off. I just re-attached the front part of the spring to another hole in the trunk hinge arm. It stretches the spring a bit tighter and the trunk pops open a bit quicker but it works. In the summer I'll weld the broken part back on and reinforce it a bit. Should be fine.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scottiemac
This happened to my C280. The spring doesnt break but the attachment point breaks off. I just re-attached the front part of the spring to another hole in the trunk hinge arm. It stretches the spring a bit tighter and the trunk pops open a bit quicker but it works. In the summer I'll weld the broken part back on and reinforce it a bit. Should be fine.
Ah, nice bit of info right there. Thanks! I was actually about to crack open the car today and take a look at it, but it seems i might just have to do what you did. I assume we have to rip off a side of the trunk liner to get to the spring?
Old 02-28-2010, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 C280, 06 530i, 99 Carrera Cab, 00 Suburban
Yeah. you have to pull off the trunk liner. I'm getting good at it as I just had to take off the bumper due to some minor collision damage.
Good luck.