C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

ecu reset and.....WOW!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:55 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
99 C43 AMG, 2001 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
I believe it takes 40 shifts for the TCU to adapt.

you say "i find it really hard to believe that driving your car slowly and gingerly for a few weeks will cause it to lose performance when you then drive it hard. conversely it makes no sense that if you want to have the car at full potential that you have to drive like mad to keep the tranny 'on its toes'." but what is an adaptive tranny then

try the reset and post your results...
what is your source for the 40 shifts reference?

I did disconnect the battery for about 45 mins the other day to put my cd player in, cant say i noticed much, but i can try the real reset procedure.

Im not so much trying to say that it isnt true, rather saying that is just a poorly executed/engineered feature. To me a good adaptive transmission would adjust every 15-20 shifts at max, really adapting every 3-4 shifts would make the most sense and be proficient.
I live in a very residential area, to drive hard for 40 shifts is just downright dangerous and would think the same is true for most people. then after you go through all that you take a trip to the mall or go out for a night driving easy and then lose your "firm shifts"??? again, not saying its untrue, just stupid

But i still am doubtful a bit. Are you guys saying the shifts are firmer and quicker or just holding RPM's longer? or both? almost any automatic tranny will go to the rev limiter at full throttle and shift sooner at partial throttle, from the first day I got my car till now if i go full throttle it will hold gear to redline, so that really cannot be counted as evidence. Now if you are saying that the shifts are quicker and firmer that you are noticing the car 'jumping' into the next gear, that would be evidence. Also, is all this discussion about full automatic mode or when 'manually' shifting 1-2-3-4-5?
Old 08-14-2012, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5
Originally Posted by Dziner82
what is your source for the 40 shifts reference?

I did disconnect the battery for about 45 mins the other day to put my cd player in, cant say i noticed much, but i can try the real reset procedure.

Im not so much trying to say that it isnt true, rather saying that is just a poorly executed/engineered feature. To me a good adaptive transmission would adjust every 15-20 shifts at max, really adapting every 3-4 shifts would make the most sense and be proficient.
I live in a very residential area, to drive hard for 40 shifts is just downright dangerous and would think the same is true for most people. then after you go through all that you take a trip to the mall or go out for a night driving easy and then lose your "firm shifts"??? again, not saying its untrue, just stupid

But i still am doubtful a bit. Are you guys saying the shifts are firmer and quicker or just holding RPM's longer? or both? almost any automatic tranny will go to the rev limiter at full throttle and shift sooner at partial throttle, from the first day I got my car till now if i go full throttle it will hold gear to redline, so that really cannot be counted as evidence. Now if you are saying that the shifts are quicker and firmer that you are noticing the car 'jumping' into the next gear, that would be evidence. Also, is all this discussion about full automatic mode or when 'manually' shifting 1-2-3-4-5?
I can't remember where I read the 40 shifts but I believe it to be true. As far as the tranny adapting every 3-4 shifts, that would be MAJOR overkill as it would need to adapt every time you came to a stop and accelerated back to 35 mph.

After the reset I feel the tranny holds the RPMs longer before shifting (at partial throttle obviously not WOT as it will always hold to red line) and shifts between gears quicker. I'm not saying it is like a whole new tranny but it is definitely noticeable.

We are talking about when you have "D" selected, when you are shifting manually it will hold RPM's until you shift.

Like I suggested before, try the reset and post your results
Old 08-14-2012, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah it does work. The guy I bought my car from drove in Winter mode mostly to save gas (not sure why he would have this car then, but whatever) so I did a reset when I found this topic to see what was up. And it's def. shifting better, as long as you drive aggresively. I took my housemate to lunch the next day and he noticed a difference without me saying anything, so that's proof enough for me.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:36 PM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
99 c43,90 mustang gt supercharged convertible,07 acura tl type s, Hummer H3t pickup
Another happy customer
Old 08-16-2012, 10:52 AM

C43 AMG
You don't have to drive the car aggressively to reset it either. Just do the reset and it should shift as it rolled out of the factory straight away.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Originally Posted by Peter3112
You don't have to drive the car aggressively to reset it either. Just do the reset and it should shift as it rolled out of the factory straight away.
+1 and don't need to get noticed by others when driving like crazy...! Do the reset more often and everyone will be happy
Old 07-29-2013, 04:12 AM

2000 W202 C230k
Nice discussion, saw a video on the ECU reset on youtube tried it on my W202 C230K and the car jst went bananas. Great new feeling altogether. So I guess it works on all 202 model?
Old 08-05-2013, 03:57 PM

ML 320 CDI 4 MATIC AMG
Exclamation BLACK SMOKE, NO POWER WITH ML320 CDI

Yesterday I made a carbon cleaning procedure thru the air inlet after the air filter removing the MAF sensor and spraying H2O2 thru this inlet with the engine working at normal temperature, perhaps my mistke was to run the engine with this MAF out of the place without air flow, so now the engine is producing very black smoke, no power at all and even reseting the ECU as mentioned in other posts, unfortunately no good results, anyone has any idea about how to do a hard reset without diagnose terminal.
I would like to fix it by myself before my wife kill me..........she is from Russia.
Thanks
Old 08-05-2013, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 138 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by biodiexel
Yesterday I made a carbon cleaning procedure thru the air inlet after the air filter removing the MAF sensor and spraying H2O2 thru this inlet with the engine working at normal temperature, perhaps my mistke was to run the engine with this MAF out of the place without air flow, so now the engine is producing very black smoke, no power at all and even reseting the ECU as mentioned in other posts, unfortunately no good results, anyone has any idea about how to do a hard reset without diagnose terminal.
I would like to fix it by myself before my wife kill me..........she is from Russia.
Thanks
Aside from asking "WHAT GAVE YOU THAT IDEA!?" I will add:

at the very least I'm betting you have ruined all your spark plugs, o2 sensors, almost certainly your catalytic converters... hopefully didn't foul any coils in the mean time?
Old 08-05-2013, 05:25 PM

ML 320 CDI 4 MATIC AMG
Sorry this is a Diesel engine without spark plugs, I made this cleaning process in other engines with good results, I use only 250ml of H2O2
Old 08-05-2013, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry this is a Diesel engine without spark plugs, I made this cleaning process in other engines with good results, I use only 250ml of H2O2
Then I can't help but wonder why you're posting it on a thread on a forum for petrol powered cars? I suggest posting it in a forum where you will find people with a similar car.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:21 AM

ML 320 CDI 4 MATIC AMG
ANYONE CAN HELP WITH HARD RESET ECU ML320CDI

I made several times the ECU reset proposed in this forum without any sucess, anyone knows another option rather than to call a tow truck to take the car to workshop?. The engine doesn´t reach above 1500 RPM and the exhaust expel very black smoke. I need to delete o make a hard reset of the ECU perhaps?.
Thanks for the help I am new in this forum world and my english it is not good enough to explain properly all my questions
Old 08-06-2013, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would suggest going here: https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-forum-76/

And starting a thread. This forum is for gas/petrol AMG w202 chassis. Very unlikely we can help with a diesel issue unless one of us is coincidentally a diesel owner.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:59 AM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
99 c43,90 mustang gt supercharged convertible,07 acura tl type s, Hummer H3t pickup
I made several times the ECU reset proposed in this forum without any sucess, anyone knows another option rather than to call a tow truck to take the car to workshop?. The engine doesn´t reach above 1500 RPM and the exhaust expel very black smoke. I need to delete o make a hard reset of the ECU perhaps?.
Thanks for the help I am new in this forum world and my english it is not good enough to explain properly all my questions
Try disconnecting the battery/batteries for approx. 20 min.Reconnect and then try to start your vehicle.