C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Noob with a C43

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 01:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1998 Black Opal C43
Noob with a C43

Hi guys. Just bought a '98 C43. Noticed the driver side mirror had a strange tint and the mirror had a plastic frame compared to the passenger side. The driver side also gave double vision, so I thought the previous owner(s) put some kind of tint or extra mirror over the original.

So, me being stupid, I took a scraper and etched the plastic frame off, only to discover that there was a metal frame under it, and the metal had some kind of wiring. I guess the mirror has auto dimming....

So, my question is, are there complete replacement units available (I see some on ebay) that are worthy? Any specific brands or sellers I can trust to buy another mirror assembly?

Thanks in advance.

Koich
Old 05-31-2010, 04:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Hi and congratulations on having made the right and only choice possible when purchasing a C43. Hope you will enjoy as much as I enjoy mine. Post up some pictures some time.

Considering the driver side mirror, they are indeed tinted but not auto dimming as far as I know. Around 1/3 of the mirror towards the outside has a greater angle so as to improve the "blind corner" vision. The wires behind are for heating the mirror in winter so as to avoid frost and ice coverage. Works well too. In my case never had any problems with the mirrors on both my MBs.

Last edited by DRBC43AMG; 06-01-2010 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-31-2010, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by koich
Hi guys. Just bought a '98 C43. Noticed the driver side mirror had a strange tint and the mirror had a plastic frame compared to the passenger side. The driver side also gave double vision, so I thought the previous owner(s) put some kind of tint or extra mirror over the original.

So, me being stupid, I took a scraper and etched the plastic frame off, only to discover that there was a metal frame under it, and the metal had some kind of wiring. I guess the mirror has auto dimming....

So, my question is, are there complete replacement units available (I see some on ebay) that are worthy? Any specific brands or sellers I can trust to buy another mirror assembly?

Thanks in advance.

Koich
CONGRATS ON JOINING THE C43 CLUB!!!! Big mistake scrapping the mirror , the mirror does have some sort of dimming tint on it but is not auto dimming like your rear view mirror (rear view mirror has a little photo cell embedded in it and will dim your mirror when it senses light, WORKS GREAT) it is however heated like previously stated in the thread. If you would like to replace that mirror with an OEM type mirror it will be around $400-$500 trust me I need to replace mine. They make some sort of cheap stick on mirror that you stick over the top of the old one that works but I'm waiting to buy to OEM version. I suggest you consult the GENIUSES in this forum before you do any other mods that might require some expensive repairs. Our cars are NOT CHEAP to work on that's for sure and their is A LOT of knowledge to be had in this forum, just ask usually you will get an answer no matter how stupid the question. I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK
Old 05-31-2010, 09:04 PM

1998 Black Opal C43
Thanks so much guys for making me feel at home! I've owned a W202 C200 in Japan a while back, and always wanted something more powerful with the W202 chassis. My dream is fulfilled.

I might buy a stick on mirror for now. The original one has a weird gold tint to it, and the vision is blurry. I'll contemplate what to do from there.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by koich
Thanks so much guys for making me feel at home! I've owned a W202 C200 in Japan a while back, and always wanted something more powerful with the W202 chassis. My dream is fulfilled.

I might buy a stick on mirror for now. The original one has a weird gold tint to it, and the vision is blurry. I'll contemplate what to do from there.
That is the oil leaking.The oil is used in the "heating" of the mirror.Good luck with the replacement , whichever route you choose.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:58 PM

1998 Black Opal C43
Originally Posted by C43AMG
That is the oil leaking.The oil is used in the "heating" of the mirror.Good luck with the replacement , whichever route you choose.
That's great information! Thank you so much.

I ordered a mirror on ebay. Not the stick on type, but a replacement (not entire assembly)

Koich