C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

DIY CC\ASR\ISC Harness Rebuild

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 03:28 PM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
W210 DRFT BNZ
DIY CC\ASR\ISC Harness Rebuild

I got my E36 Bimmer back today. Sent the ECU to Powerchip. As soon as the ECU is back and the chip verified, I will begin the process.

Closer to the front of the car from the ECU is a second computer on cars equipped with ASR and Cruise Control on W202s. This is known as the Cruise Control\ASR\Idle Speed Control module and it directly interacts with the electro-magnetic clutch-actuated throttle body (which I have already ripped out, taken apart and put back together).

After finding out that my (supposedly) replaced engine bay\ECU squid was shorting out knock sensor leads, I decided to do a quick multimeter test on the second (more complex) squid. A bunch of stuff wrong with it, all over the place. The car has 141K on the clock.

SYMPTOMS:

• Idle is rough (with brand new plugs + wires, filters, MAF and everything else, see signature).
  • On highway, cruise control is super jerky. The car will be moving and its like somebody is constantly fxxking with the throttle, pressing\letting go, pressing\ letting go. That is incredible annoying.
  • Sometimes the car will be cruising along just fine, but suddenly the cruise control will shut off and the throttle pedal loses all sensitivity and has to be depressed REAL deep for it to open the butterfly valve. This really sucks because due to the deep pedal travel, the TPS tells the transmission to downshift. Restarting ignition cures this.

EDIT: Crap, I just remembered that MBWorld place an expiry on how long after the initial post you can edit it. Oh well, I guess I will have to post all progress here and then summarize in a new thread.

That on the other hand has NO electrical BS with it whatsoever. 184K and going strong on original motor, transmission and differential.

Last edited by jumph4x; 06-19-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Is that an M3?? What is wrong with your drivers side headlight???
Old 06-19-2010, 04:34 PM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
W210 DRFT BNZ
Nope, that's the vanilla 325i 4 door.

The right headlight has been sitting outside with hood open through nasty thunderstorm so a lot of moisture must have gotten into the headlight. The car didn't move for 6 or so weeks.

Was getting complete transmission overhaul. I missed manual gearboxes so much.

The Powerchip shipment should be back this way early next week. Probably Tuesday. Which means Wednesday at the latest I will already be working on this.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by jumph4x
Nope, that's the vanilla 325i 4 door.

The right headlight has been sitting outside with hood open through nasty thunderstorm so a lot of moisture must have gotten into the headlight. The car didn't move for 6 or so weeks.

Was getting complete transmission overhaul. I missed manual gearboxes so much.

The Powerchip shipment should be back this way early next week. Probably Tuesday. Which means Wednesday at the latest I will already be working on this.
Keep us posted!