C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Buy a rebuilt motor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
97 C28
Question Buy a rebuilt motor

i want to know a reliable source to purchace a 3.6 fully rebulit...
also what else would i need besides ecu for my c280
not worried about brakes n rear end I may replace the tranny
its not cheaper just to buy a c36 and I have found another shell as clean as mine..

please mind the sarcasim please serious here
Old 07-22-2010, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
97 C28
bump
Old 07-22-2010, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW and Mercedes
Originally Posted by $tallion
its not cheaper just to buy a c36 and I have found another shell as clean as mine..
I guess that would depend on how great of a deal you could find. Rebuilt? Probably not, that will easily put you in the $4-5k range if not more, and there have been some pretty nice C36's for just a little more than that. If you found a motor from a salvage yard or other source, I could see you getting one for more like 1-2K with ECU, loom, etc. Now that all being said, even if you did that, at the end of the day it would still just be a C280 with a different motor in it. You would be losing out on a lot of the nicer features of the C36 for a pretty similar price. Trust me, I know it is nice to believe that you know better, and can do things on the cheap. While my own swap was several orders of magnitude more difficult than this one, I'd still say that the most pessimistic forum guestimates into its final cost were even a little bit cheaper than what it has ended up costing me. You will pay more money into it than you think, and the cost of a motor/trans is just a downpayment on the overall cost of a motor swap. When there is the exact car you are trying to build already available from the factory at a bargain price, then I just don't understand why you would want to do this.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by FLYNAVY
I guess that would depend on how great of a deal you could find. Rebuilt? Probably not, that will easily put you in the $4-5k range if not more, and there have been some pretty nice C36's for just a little more than that. If you found a motor from a salvage yard or other source, I could see you getting one for more like 1-2K with ECU, loom, etc. Now that all being said, even if you did that, at the end of the day it would still just be a C280 with a different motor in it. You would be losing out on a lot of the nicer features of the C36 for a pretty similar price. Trust me, I know it is nice to believe that you know better, and can do things on the cheap. While my own swap was several orders of magnitude more difficult than this one, I'd still say that the most pessimistic forum guestimates into its final cost were even a little bit cheaper than what it has ended up costing me. You will pay more money into it than you think, and the cost of a motor/trans is just a downpayment on the overall cost of a motor swap. When there is the exact car you are trying to build already available from the factory at a bargain price, then I just don't understand why you would want to do this.
Flynavy speaks the truth.... Even if you could do the full swap for $4,000 you could get a C36 or C43 for a couple grand extra. I bought my C43 with 107k on it for $6500 4 months ago. So for an extra $2500 more than what your swap would cost I got the tranny, interior, suspension, body kit, sound system, and the honor of owning a REAL AMG. If I was you I would sell the 280 and get a C36 or C43 if thats what you are looking for. Not only would it probably be cheaper but you would save yourself a HUGE headache as swaps rarely go as planned or stay within budget plus like I said before you would be a proud owner of a REAL AMG.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 C230 Kompressor Sport
I totally agree with 503C43 ////AMG and FLYNAVY! In the end, you won't be too happy because it's still not the real/authentic AMG.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 262 Likes on 222 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
+1 and nothing can compare to owning the REAL thing.