C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

First gear lock up in 722.3 C36 AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 C 36 AMG; 1992 W124 300E (M103 Ex Mosselman TT KIT) was 320hp @10psi now stock :(
First gear lock up in 722.3 C36 AMG?

guys,
i need help figuring out how to make my C36 lock up its first gear like in the W140 500SE, I.E in my 140 (1995) if i put the leaver in the B position it will not sift into second even at WOT and even if it hits the limiter. the B position is nothing but an electrical switch that engages the kickdown function (plz correct me if i am wrong here). So what is it that keeps the gearbox from shifting into second if the leaver is in B?

I need this as it will be a serious advantage in auto X events and even in drag races as i can then hold the first all the way to almost 7K and that means higher RPM when it shifts into second.

thnx.

then i did this:

ok today i connected a wire to the kickdown wire in the switch under the pedal and ran it to a hand held on / off switch that has constant 12V on it. i kept the relay in place. so now i have normal kickdown and kickdown when the switch is on. the car only down shift when the accel is depressed far enough but no need to floor it. saddly thou it doesn't seem to hold the first any more than if i had used the normal kickdown method.!!!

but when i remove the relay and jump pinns 15 and 87. if i floor it all the way until the pedal clicks the normal kickdown switch, it holds first on the limiter. but if i try to use my hand held switch it still doesn't work.!!! so my idea is only half successful.

will keep u posted.

edit:
Well i spent the best part of 2 hours testing several setups ( stopped when my trans temps hit 110'C) , with and without the relay in place.

so far i think the valve body of the W140 is what allows the car to shift into first gear without having the throttle depressed. any way i will study the wiring diagram of the w140 vs that of the 36 and see if the differances are just electrical / kickdown solenoid, or if it is further inside the valve body.

for now my car with the relay inplace has normal function, ie first shifts at max RPM of abt 6500. with my hand held switch in the on position first shifts out of first at almost the limitter of 6800. not bad for a drag race, as it shifts into second at a higher RPm. i still cant force it into first when i am at below 40kph and off the throttle.
half way thru so far
Old 09-11-2010, 08:05 AM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
W210 DRFT BNZ
Interesting!