C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Limp mode when summer temps...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limp mode when summer temps...

My car is running fine all winter, but as soon the days gets warmer itīs starting to tease me. After running and then parked for a while, when I go it starts in limp mode. Venting with the hood open for five minutes and it runs perfectly again. In traffic jams it can also go over to limp mode which is of course very annoying...
Garage computers gets no indication, even if Iīm getting there without turning the ignition off. Has anyone had this problem?
Old 05-27-2003, 08:58 PM
Almost a Member!

1995 C36 AMG
What does your engine temp gauge say? As the coolant temperature increases the ECU will retard the timing and therefore the engine will make less power. This might be what is happening as opposed to "limp mode" which is usually accompanied by a check engine light.

~dnm
Old 05-28-2003, 06:12 AM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
from what i've heard and read, limp mode is really rare and it does go in effect, engine check light would be on as well

a few good months ago i had engine check light on and felt like really losing power thought i was in limp mode when i was running on 3 cylinders ;p 3 of my coil ends busted
Old 05-28-2003, 03:26 PM

It happened again today..., no engine check light. Temp shows normal and can be even higher in winter with no problems. It is something about surrounding temperature. I opened the hood with engine idling and after four minutes it was running normally again, all the way home.

As I understand the limp mode, the engine is electronically limited to 1500 revs, more acc gives a bumping mode and less gives normal revs under 1500.
I am now removing and checking every cable at every sensor I can find to see if there is any bad contact.

Any ideas are much appreciated!