C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Fuel Delivery Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG
Exclamation Fuel Delivery Issues

So Ive been having problems with my car not starting. It will turn over but not start. I immediately felt that there was something wrong with my fuel system so I rented a fuel pressure gauge and tried to diagnose it. Upon connecting the gauge, I got no pressure reading with just the ignition on (not started). Once I got it started (repeated cranking) the pressure went up to the appropriate range. I then turned it back off and the pressure dropped to zero immediately. After asking around and looking around on the forums I concluded it was my fuel pump. After replacing the pump, and fuel pump relay..its still not fixed. However I did find the problem. I connected a 12V source directly to the new pump and bingo...the pressure gauge rose to the appropriate reading with just the ignition on and the car started on the first crank. So that tells me that is has to be something with the wiring harness the runs to the pump right? If someone could provide me with some insight on what else it could possibly be I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, could it be a bad fuse or something? Is there even a fuse for it and if so where the hell is it...lol?
Old 06-12-2011, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Found this in another thread (the search function is a wonderful thing)

"yeah its in the trunk. thats where my mechanic uplugged the fuse for mine when he ran the bg fuel cleaning system, unplugged a fuse on the right side of the trunk under the spare cover"

Here is the thread I copied from:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c...-location.html

If replacing the fuse doesn't work get a DMM (Digital multi meter) and check the voltage/ohms coming through the power/ground wires to the fuel pump, this should tell you if it is your power or ground that is bad.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG
So I found my fuel pump fuse. Its the very top left fuse in fuse box in the trunk. Anyways I pulled the fuse, which was fine by the way, and put a multi meter on housing and I it had no voltage what so ever. Just to check myself, I did the same on the fuse below it and I got a 12V reading.

So, based on this is most likely the problem and there is an electrical issue going on? Also, is there a fuel pump safety switch on this car that may be triggered which is causing my problem?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by nick3453
So I found my fuel pump fuse. Its the very top left fuse in fuse box in the trunk. Anyways I pulled the fuse, which was fine by the way, and put a multi meter on housing and I it had no voltage what so ever. Just to check myself, I did the same on the fuse below it and I got a 12V reading.

So, based on this is most likely the problem and there is an electrical issue going on? Also, is there a fuel pump safety switch on this car that may be triggered which is causing my problem?
The EPC shows no fuel pump safety switch so I would check your wiring...