C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Gas ran out now check engine light is on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 Silver C43
Gas ran out now check engine light is on

I was really low on fuel and was drivign to the pumps when i felt the engine hesitating, wanting to shut off. Well as I pulled into the pumps the check engine light came on and the car pretty much said no more, so I truned it off. Filled up and started it up. On start up again it was about to die but as the fuel started to fill the engine it ran better. BUT! The engine sounds different and the CE light is still on. Its running in limp mode! took it home and stated it this morning. The CE light still on but its out of limp mode.

So besides running out of fuel what happened? Have I caused any damage? And the CE light why wont it turn off, do I have to have the dealer reset it?
Old 05-30-2003, 09:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
hiya,
basicly this is probably what happened
check engine light comes on whenever the car is running and you take off the gas cap (because of losing fuel pressure), even when you put the gas cap back on you have to restart the car or let it rebuilt the fuel pressure.

so when you ran out of gas so did fuel pressure and light went on. i suggest you drive your car should be just fine and check engine light should reset itself when you restart the car.

another possibility is there might have been some corrosion or various impurities at the bottom of your tank that got into your injectors but that's worst possibility.

i'm guessing it's the first option
so just drive the car make sure cap is on tank tight and let it run through some good gas.
Old 05-31-2003, 02:24 PM

1998 Silver C43
That is exactly what went down yesterday. I thought about the gas cap deal so i checked it out and then drove the car around figuring maybe when filling I over filled the tank also (poured in 16.2 g) made a few stops and then when turning on the car the CE light did NOT come back on. All is good now.

Old 06-03-2003, 01:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
good to hear