4.3L M113 V8 swap into W202 4cyl

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A4 1.8TQ Wagon
4.3L M113 V8 swap into W202 4cyl

Hi All,

I working on a V8 gravel rally car concept and I'd like some help to find out if some of the fundamentals are possible. Before a bunch of people suggest I just use a 190e Cosworth 16V, I should outline why a V8 powered W202 C Class:
  • I love V8 rally cars because they're fun and they sound great!
  • What's the smallest, lightest (?), RWD sedan that came factory fitted with an all alloy V8 engine that was available new in Australia and is now pretty affordable?

I'm interested in finding out if it's mechanically possible to swap a 4.3L M113 into a 4cyl W202 (probably a '98 or '99 model)?

I'm specifically interested in physical room: was the C43 engine bay different/bigger than the C180/C200?
Cross member & engine mounts: with the C43/V8 engine mounts, will a W113 V8 bolt onto the stock 4cyl W202 cross member or do I need a C43 specific cross member?
If the std 4cyl cross member is Ok, will the std C43 or E430 sump fit?

The plan would be to buy a manual C180 or C200 as the donor car and make a flywheel and bellhousing to bolt a Tremec 6 spd manual trans to the M113.

The electronics aren't an issue, because basically everything electrical would get turfed and I'd start from scratch with a programmable ECU (Motec or Haltech) and only the very basics (ignition system, fuel pumps, radiator fans, lights, wipers, heater fan) for the rest of the car; no ABS, auto trans computers, body computers, fandangled sensors - nothing.

I don't want to use a "real" C43 because there's not that many of them in Aus and they're not cheap, cheap - i.e. <$5K..............They're still in the $20-$30K range. Also, if you're going to throw just about everything away to get back to a rolling shell, you may as well start with the 4cyl base model!

Why not do an LS1 swap I hear some of you ask; the rally rules in Australia vary, but all of them want an engine of the original configuration (i.e. 4cyl, straight 6, V8 etc) from the original manufacturer as a minimum. So to fit an LS1, I'd need a Holden (GM's Australian subsidiary) that originally had a V8 - and they're all bigger and heavier than a C Class (or in the case of the late 70's Torana, have questionable handling at best......dangerous at worst!)

So C43 (or V8 W202) is the smallest RWD V8 I can think of that would be suitable for gravel rallying (there's probably some V8 sports cars, but they probably don't have the ground clearance or strength that's required).

Any advice from people who have experience with W202's would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Paul.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Your first post it seems so welcome!
I think all w202 shells are the same. Only differences are in brakes, springs and shocks. Perhaps other things too but nothing major. Headers will have to come from the V8 engine as space very limited due to the old style steering box. No space for fancy snake nests in there unfortunately.
Keep us posted on you choice and project details.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by MillsMotorsport
Hi All,

I working on a V8 gravel rally car concept and I'd like some help to find out if some of the fundamentals are possible. Before a bunch of people suggest I just use a 190e Cosworth 16V, I should outline why a V8 powered W202 C Class:
  • I love V8 rally cars because they're fun and they sound great!
  • What's the smallest, lightest (?), RWD sedan that came factory fitted with an all alloy V8 engine that was available new in Australia and is now pretty affordable?

I'm interested in finding out if it's mechanically possible to swap a 4.3L M113 into a 4cyl W202 (probably a '98 or '99 model)?

I'm specifically interested in physical room: was the C43 engine bay different/bigger than the C180/C200?
Cross member & engine mounts: with the C43/V8 engine mounts, will a W113 V8 bolt onto the stock 4cyl W202 cross member or do I need a C43 specific cross member?
If the std 4cyl cross member is Ok, will the std C43 or E430 sump fit?

The plan would be to buy a manual C180 or C200 as the donor car and make a flywheel and bellhousing to bolt a Tremec 6 spd manual trans to the M113.

The electronics aren't an issue, because basically everything electrical would get turfed and I'd start from scratch with a programmable ECU (Motec or Haltech) and only the very basics (ignition system, fuel pumps, radiator fans, lights, wipers, heater fan) for the rest of the car; no ABS, auto trans computers, body computers, fandangled sensors - nothing.

I don't want to use a "real" C43 because there's not that many of them in Aus and they're not cheap, cheap - i.e. <$5K..............They're still in the $20-$30K range. Also, if you're going to throw just about everything away to get back to a rolling shell, you may as well start with the 4cyl base model!

Why not do an LS1 swap I hear some of you ask; the rally rules in Australia vary, but all of them want an engine of the original configuration (i.e. 4cyl, straight 6, V8 etc) from the original manufacturer as a minimum. So to fit an LS1, I'd need a Holden (GM's Australian subsidiary) that originally had a V8 - and they're all bigger and heavier than a C Class (or in the case of the late 70's Torana, have questionable handling at best......dangerous at worst!)

So C43 (or V8 W202) is the smallest RWD V8 I can think of that would be suitable for gravel rallying (there's probably some V8 sports cars, but they probably don't have the ground clearance or strength that's required).

Any advice from people who have experience with W202's would be appreciated!Thanks,
Paul.
I wish you well in your quest.I hope you have a wheel barrow full of money and alot of time and patience.