C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

C36 AMG - v2.0

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Stg3 B5S4-C55 AMG
C36 AMG - v2.0

I thought I'd officially introduce the car.

Many years ago I had a 96 C36. Really enjoyed the ownership of one but due to nagging issues with the car I ended up selling it.

Since then I've owned quite a few cars, including a 93 500e and a couple of newer MBZ's.

In the back of my mind I always thought that the C36 was a car I wouldn't mind owning again as I loved how it hit a sweet spot of rawness with refinement . Also , its the first showroom sold AMG, so historically I feel its a future icon, and even if it doesn't become anything of the sort, its an old school AMG rockstar ..IMHO.

One other hurdle was to find one that's un-molested, adult owned and one that has service pedigree with all the major issues addressed. Unicorn poop almost in this day and age.

I didn't think it was going to ever happen, but I finally found such a car a few months ago. Owned and loved for 10+ yrs by a long time MBCOA member, contributor to The Star magazine and avid racer. He's had just about everything taken care of in the last 3 yrs.

New HG,
Re-sealed timing cover
Chain tensioner, pads and guides service and checked for play.
new TB actuator
water pump
harness

and a slew of other things like a new AC system as well.

In other words, everything that goes wrong with a W202 AMG at about the 100K mark that costs a whole lotta money !

This car has 125K on it, and runs like a C36 with 5K on it.

The body is mint as is the interior. Really well preserved as it has lived in his garage during his ownership next to his C32 AMG and BMW M3.

As nice as my first C36 was, it was nothing like this. The AC on it barely worked, the steering wheel was worn , and it leaked in the typical places..so as you might imagine, seeing an M104 that's bone dry and healthy makes me very happy and proud to own this steed.

The only things I'm going to swap out are the wheels. Have some 18in Mono's waiting for Michelin's.

I might lower it a tad by swapping out the pads for #1's but I want to maintain a good ride for long trips. My M5 is on coilovers and thats the only lowered car I need.

Maybe an Avantgarde grill but that's about it. I want to stay true to the breed and even the grill might taint that a tad. But just thought I'd share.

Thanks.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Nice car! Congratulations on the find.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:47 PM
RPB

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Congrats, welcome back! I own a 95' myself that just hit 124k and have owned it since 101k. The car is so solid! New water pump, rotors, and pads. Working on the A/C, I typically never use it but feel bad for my passengers. I recently sold my 500E, it was a 1993 too and found a good new owner as I was neglecting it.