C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

My A/C is back :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 08:44 AM
RPB

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My A/C is back :)

So this is interesting, I got my '95 C36 about 2 yrs ago and it would always blow hot air. I typically don't use it too much but my passengers and colleagues at work hate going out with me on hot days. I had two different shops recharge my A/C system over the past year or so, it would typically blow hot again within two days. I finally put it in a shop close to my job, he said they were going to evacuate the system then refill it with dye to trace the leak. He called and stated they could not find a leak and to drive it for a while until it potentially leaks out again. Well to my surprise it has not and still blows cold after 4 days! Knock on wood.

My question is whether or not this evacuation procedure could have done something that a simple refill would not accomplish?

Thx!
Old 05-19-2012, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Evacuation removes air in the system and is usually only done when the system has been worked on and air has been introduced into the system while it was being worked on.

It is not only necessary, but critical that you evacuate your AC system IF it has been opened to the atmosphere. However, if you are just adding additional R134A Freon to your system, evacuation is not required.

If you do not evacuate your system prior to charge, it may work for awhile, but the moisture will eventually cause corrosion and other unwanted chemical reactions in your A/C system. This will shorten the operating life of your A/C system.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:35 PM
RPB

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
Evacuation removes air in the system and is usually only done when the system has been worked on and air has been introduced into the system while it was being worked on.

It is not only necessary, but critical that you evacuate your AC system IF it has been opened to the atmosphere. However, if you are just adding additional R134A Freon to your system, evacuation is not required.

If you do not evacuate your system prior to charge, it may work for awhile, but the moisture will eventually cause corrosion and other unwanted chemical reactions in your A/C system. This will shorten the operating life of your A/C system.
Thanks, that would make sense. Glad to have A/C!