C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Bilstein shock numbers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 02:29 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2006 E55 AMG/1996 C36 AMG/1999 C43/55 AMG
Originally Posted by nd4spd13
Also to make it clear for anyone shopping in the future, in Koni's official catalogue from their website, they apparently do make shocks that fit the C36, but do not list the C43.
In regards to the Koni's that are for the C36 are these shocks interchangeable with the C43? I'm assuming that the GVW of the two vehicles is very similar. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 C36 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by nkctb7
In regards to the Koni's that are for the C36 are these shocks interchangeable with the C43? I'm assuming that the GVW of the two vehicles is very similar. Thanks for the info.

Physically: yes, completely interchangeable. But if for some reason you had them on your C43, and they failed, Koni would be able to claim the shocks are not meant for the C43.

The C43 is lighter than the C36 by a little under 100lbs....
Old 06-21-2012, 04:36 PM

Physically: yes, completely interchangeable. But if for some reason you had them on your C43, and they failed, Koni would be able to claim the shocks are not meant for the C43.

The C43 is lighter than the C36 by a little under 100lbs....
I understand completely. I wonder how they could prove what vehicle they were actually installed on? What if I were to give them the VIN# of my friends C36 if they were to ever fail? It would be impossible for them to determine otherwise unless they were to physically view the vehicle and installation.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
I understand completely. I wonder how they could prove what vehicle they were actually installed on? What if I were to give them the VIN# of my friends C36 if they were to ever fail? It would be impossible for them to determine otherwise unless they were to physically view the vehicle and installation.
but have you ever ran your C43 vs your friends C36?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
The topic came up on more than one occasion but we both respect each others rides and the notion was always shot down. Besides, it would have to take place on the track in Mission, B.C. as I learned at the very young age of 22, that racing belongs on the track and not on the street. My former '87 Grand National can attest to that as it was wiped out by a drunk seconds after the race with a 5.0 had ended. Let's just say that I am very lucky to be alive today. If he hadn't cut me off, the driver of the Mustang would have been killed instantly as he would have hit him head on. Instead, I had swerved to hit the rear passenger side and spun him around. It delayed his progress in the right lane just enough that the Mustang avoided any impact. The vehicle was a 70's Chrysler Fifth Ave. boat/tank. As of Aug. '91 my street racing days were over.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 260 Likes on 220 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
Hold tight guys, I'm soon home
I'll get the shock # posted on here on Friday. I'll also check the Euro OE springs (measurements, codings, colors painted on the spirals, etc.). I will also check on the MB EPC programme the part # for Euro shocks and N.American shocks.
Check the details in my new thread
https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c...fications.html
Old 06-25-2012, 04:15 PM

Very true. When talking to Bilstein, I selectively neglected to say that I was reinstalling the shocks on a C43. It has nothing to do with what happened to the shocks. They were always on the C36, and that's where they broke, but I figured I'd leave any confusion out of it.

Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
I ran my two together once, in the short time they were both up and running. Was planning on doing more and videoing the whole thing, but then the 36 bit the dust.
It turned out like most people say it does. They're about dead even until around 80, then the 43 starts pulling. The 36 almost pulled away a little faster than the 43 at the start, but that could be attributed to my snow tires, or the gearing of the 4spd vs 5spd or something.

The topic came up on more than one occasion but we both respect each others rides and the notion was always shot down. Besides, it would have to take place on the track in Mission, B.C. as I learned at the very young age of 22, that racing belongs on the track and not on the street. My former '87 Grand National can attest to that as it was wiped out by a drunk seconds after the race with a 5.0 had ended. Let's just say that I am very lucky to be alive today. If he hadn't cut me off, the driver of the Mustang would have been killed instantly as he would have hit him head on. Instead, I had swerved to hit the rear passenger side and spun him around. It delayed his progress in the right lane just enough that the Mustang avoided any impact. The vehicle was a 70's Chrysler Fifth Ave. boat/tank. As of Aug. '91 my street racing days were over.
WOW! That's quite a story. Definitely make us all think twice next time we want to have a little fun on the street.

Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
Thank you DRB! So the Euro spec suspension comes with it's own set of Euro spec shocks. So if someone didn't mind the cost, the complete spring and shock euro set up would provide a bit of a handling performance gain over the US spec, and would be completely AMG correct.

Sent my shocks off to Tirerack last week, so we'll see where this goes.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:41 PM

Cha CHING

So heard from Tirerack today, got a full refund!! Including shipping. Tirerack has taken the Bilstein Sports off the list of applicable shocks for the C36.

Now, the real question is: What to put on the car.
I'd like to find a reputable company that actually makes shocks that they say work with the C43, but I feel I will probably end up with the same shocks I had before, and just hope I never have to take them off. Though I may try the CLK part for the front shocks. We shall see
Old 06-27-2012, 01:55 AM

So heard from Tirerack today, got a full refund!! Including shipping. Tirerack has taken the Bilstein Sports off the list of applicable shocks for the C36.

Now, the real question is: What to put on the car.
I'd like to find a reputable company that actually makes shocks that they say work with the C43, but I feel I will probably end up with the same shocks I had before, and just hope I never have to take them off. Though I may try the CLK part for the front shocks. We shall see
Great news in regards to your reimbursement for the Billy's. It proves that there are still companies out there that provide great customer service and admit that they made a blunder.

The race/crash was quite a story. The driver of the 5.0 came back to see if I was okay and thanked me as he knew what the outcome would have been had I not swerved to hit the vehicle. I went through three years of living hell as the RCMP charged me for dangerous driving. Even though the race was over and a drunk had wiped me out, they needed someone to pay for the cleanup. They were too busy arresting me at the scene before they realized that the big chrome metal bumper on the ground with the license plate still attached to it, did not belong to me. They quickly removed the cuffs but by that time, the drunk was home and claimed that his vehicle was stolen. I was eventually acquitted of all charges but what a very valuable lesson and experience.

Karma is a b$#@h and the drunks body was found in a ditch a year later in the B.C. interior. He was obviously involved in something bad.

If I can save others from doing what I did by sharing my experiences, it always plots a smile on my face. I feel invincible and confident while racing, just as most do. What I didn't realize is just how fast things can happen as you can never predict another driver's actions. A split second can be the difference of everything coming to an abrupt end, or being able to wake up, and view the sky for another day.

From that moment back in '91, I realized that driving, truly is a privilege. Not a right. I will never take that for granted again.

Are you planning to go the Euro setup? I am considering that myself, as I really don't want the camber issues, but would like to eliminate some of the wheel gap.

Cheers
Old 06-28-2012, 10:15 PM

Great news in regards to your reimbursement for the Billy's. It proves that there are still companies out there that provide great customer service and admit that they made a blunder.

The race/crash was quite a story. The driver of the 5.0 came back to see if I was okay and thanked me as he knew what the outcome would have been had I not swerved to hit the vehicle. I went through three years of living hell as the RCMP charged me for dangerous driving. Even though the race was over and a drunk had wiped me out, they needed someone to pay for the cleanup. They were too busy arresting me at the scene before they realized that the big chrome metal bumper on the ground with the license plate still attached to it, did not belong to me. They quickly removed the cuffs but by that time, the drunk was home and claimed that his vehicle was stolen. I was eventually acquitted of all charges but what a very valuable lesson and experience.

Karma is a b$#@h and the drunks body was found in a ditch a year later in the B.C. interior. He was obviously involved in something bad.

If I can save others from doing what I did by sharing my experiences, it always plots a smile on my face. I feel invincible and confident while racing, just as most do. What I didn't realize is just how fast things can happen as you can never predict another driver's actions. A split second can be the difference of everything coming to an abrupt end, or being able to wake up, and view the sky for another day.

From that moment back in '91, I realized that driving, truly is a privilege. Not a right. I will never take that for granted again.

Are you planning to go the Euro setup? I am considering that myself, as I really don't want the camber issues, but would like to eliminate some of the wheel gap.

Cheers
Definitely not planning on going Euro. Love my Vogtlands!!

Talked with both Bilstein and Koni today. Bilstein gave me nothing. Even their motorsports division doesn't make shocks with the correct mounts for our cars, so there is nothing with a warranty we can buy from Bilstein. I still may just get the one 1855 I need for the back and get the CLK numbers for the front, or I might get Konis. They do in fact list their shocks for the C36, so that is where 36 owners can go for good shocks + a warranty. The guy I talked to said that these shocks should be fine for the 43. Considering that it is lighter than the 36, and I'm on stiffer, lower springs anyway, I shouldn't have a problem using them, BUT this he was under the impression I was going to be autocrossing/tracking the car, therefore voiding any warranty anyway, and he did also mention there was probably some reason they didn't list it for the 43. So right now, seems like KW is the only company that actually makes shocks made for the C43. I suppose if someone really wanted/needed to, they could put konis on there car, not track it, and if anything went wrong say they were on a 36

Last edited by nd4spd13; 06-28-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:18 PM

Going Koni, externally adjustable!! Should be sweet. Now I have to find out who stocks them. Tirerack has 3/4 I need, but AJUSA has FANTASTIC PRICES! With buying 4 shocks + shipping, I could save almost $200 by going with AJ instead of Tirerack, but they don't have the rears in stock, and said it could takes months for Koni to make some... blegh. So I went with a different distributor.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:18 PM

99 C43 AMG
C43 Shocks

Originally Posted by mkoons
Trying to update Bilstein catalog numbers for C43's Having researched numerous threads the numbers showing up were for B8 Sports F4-b361854-HO and F4-B361855-HO These numbers according to the Bilstein/us catalog have been superceeded. The C43 is no longer listed in Bilstein's catalog. From what I can determine the 2000 CLK 430 and the 2002 CLK 55 AMG are interchangable with the C43. These numbers are for Sports (B8)
24-025997 and 24-018555. Would appreciate any valid comments.
What did you go with on your car? I have a NA '99 C43 with 165,000 miles and the rear shocks are leaking and they ride rough. The fronts are probably ready for replacement also. I don't intend to lower the car, so I was thinking the Bilstein B6 line might ride a little smoother than the sports given my ride height. Thoughts?
Old 11-26-2017, 11:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1996 Mercedes-Benz C36 AMG
I had B8s on my C36, and soon my 43. I loved them on my 36.
Been looking at the B8's nd4spd for my '96 C36 recently. What springs did you have on it? I'm looking for lower than stock, but not crazy aggressive and been thinking Eibachs as I've read some not so great long term wear on Vogtlands.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:20 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by mppp
Been looking at the B8's nd4spd for my '96 C36 recently. What springs did you have on it? I'm looking for lower than stock, but not crazy aggressive and been thinking Eibachs as I've read some not so great long term wear on Vogtlands.
what kind of negative feedback did you read about Vogtlands?
do they sag?
do they snap off coils from materijal fatigue?
Old 11-27-2017, 04:30 AM

Ml350 2006
Ml 320 2006 fuel tank issue

Gents, I have a 2006 ml 320 the fuel on the side of the filter is going empty but on the side of the pump is remaining on the edge of the opening between the 2 sides of the tank. The fuel is not remaking at the same level of both sides. Can anyone help pls. Thx
Old 11-28-2017, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by kowalski
what kind of negative feedback did you read about Vogtlands?
do they sag?
do they snap off coils from materijal fatigue?
I spent a couple hours on shocks/lowering threads and read the Vogtlands sag after some time although I can't say I recall reading it more than once. I've never read one comment about Eibach/Billstein 8's combination, but from what I've read about the billsteins they are more of a smooth ride than Konis, but I need to have lowering springs to combo them with as stock springs do not work with Billstein 8's.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jean1978
Gents, I have a 2006 ml 320 the fuel on the side of the filter is going empty but on the side of the pump is remaining on the edge of the opening between the 2 sides of the tank. The fuel is not remaking at the same level of both sides. Can anyone help pls. Thx
Jean, I would peruse the M Class Forum.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:19 PM
Banned

I spent a couple hours on shocks/lowering threads and read the Vogtlands sag after some time although I can't say I recall reading it more than once. I've never read one comment about Eibach/Billstein 8's combination, but from what I've read about the billsteins they are more of a smooth ride than Konis, but I need to have lowering springs to combo them with as stock springs do not work with Billstein 8's.
peapol also complaint about H und R springs which also sags over time.
all lowering springs must sag with time?

I had mine for 6 years now, still no sag, k-nock k-nock on wood
Old 11-28-2017, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by kowalski
peapol also complaint about H und R springs which also sags over time.
all lowering springs must sag with time?

I had mine for 6 years now, still no sag, k-nock k-nock on wood
What shocks do you have paired with the H & R springs?
Old 11-28-2017, 04:05 PM
Banned

What shocks do you have paired with the H & R springs?
don't have H und R springs.

I have VOGTLAND and KONI adjustable shox
ride is very good, stance i nice, can't complaint at all!
Old 12-06-2017, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
I think my shocks are OE originals and I'm sitting on over 310k miles. And this thread has me absolutely terrified on the idea of buying new ones.