C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

No throttle response after WOT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 C36 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
No throttle response after WOT

So the other day when I was changing shocks around in the 43, I unmounted and unplugged the little module in the drivers side corner of the engine bay (where the fuses and shock mounting nut is) that has the throttle cable attached to an electric connector. In the back of my mind, I knew I would discover some sort of dumb issue if I unplugged it, but I did in anyway because it was in the way
After getting everything back together, went for a drive and everything was normal. Decided to have some fun and floor it from a stop, it seemed a little sluggish, then after the run the throttle response was GONE. At first I thought there was nothing, then I realized it would accelerate, just very gradually about 3-4 seconds after I changed the throttle position. Cruise control worked fine, but again extremely sluggish. Turned off the car, let it rest and restarted and all was good. Later I jacked the throttle again in park to rev the engine, and when I set off to drive again, same thing. Restarted again and it's been fine, though I haven't gone to WOT since.
Any one else experience anything like this? I'm hoping I just need to clear some fault or have the system relearn the throttle cable position or something.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 383 Likes on 348 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
Yes, it's happened to me twice,, i think when you unplugged the acc. sensor, some faulty signals goes to the throttle, that tells the ECU to go to the

safety mode & stored to the memory, also the ECU send signal to the MAF & continuously fuel, to shut-off,, but return back again within "2-3" seconds,

but im not sure if this reason can be happening in the same of your situation,,

its important if you can clear any stored codes by "MB star"........

ZAYED,,
Old 06-03-2012, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 C36 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
Yep, just got out the ol OBD2 reader and sure enough, P1542 which is the "Accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor - signal" so we'll see if the code returns and if it's just a little electrical bug or if I screwed something up and need a new sensor.

How did you solve the problem zayed?
Old 06-03-2012, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 383 Likes on 348 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
I cleaned the connector & the pins of the acc. sensor with a contact cleaner with soft brush, after that i toke a small round, waaw everything goes well,,

take a look to the 6-pins in the acc. sensor & make sure nothing avoid in the 6-holes of the connector itself,, if the code not cleared, try to disconnect

the battery about hour, that’s soo useFUL to clear all kind of codes that stored in the hole system........

ZAYED,,

Last edited by cm60k; 06-03-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 218 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
When changing the shocks up front, the accelerator modulke was in the way, so I removed the two screws and moved out the module. I did not isconnect the plug at any time. My battery has been out of the car since last November apart from time to time when I need to open the rear boot (hood) as the lock is corroded and the key doesn't work. Hopefully, when everything is back together, I should not have any problems or electronic jinks.