C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Recommend buying? C36..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 C36
Recommend buying? C36..

I'm new to this board but am a c36/c43 enthusiast and have wanted one for a very long time. Have searched the various threads to understand the common problems with these cars and should ultimately know what all to look for. But would like some assurances on a prospective c36 I am looking at to know if I should buy..

The car is a 96 c36 with 149k miles on it. Interior is well maintained and in great condition (besides loose headlining near the moon room, which can easily be fixed). All the windows and electrical components also seem to work fine and there is an aftermarket CD deck in the car (I have seen that this could be a bad thing on draining the battery but don't know if there is any truth behind it).

The engine on the outside looks fine and clean but you certainly can't rely too much on that in diagnosing the engine quality. The last owner has had the car since 120k and has done all the scheduled maintenance and had to fix the head gasket, valve cover, intake and exhaust gasket, thermostat and a new belt (did all this 700 miles ago). The tranny appears to shift fine and is in good condition.

Now, even though it has a lot of miles, for $4,500 (most likely will talk him down to $4) will this car will be a decent buy just to have as short commuter DD? With all of the recent fixes he has done to the car it seems as if the regular problems with the c36's have been solved, and I particularly like the bulletproof 4-speed granny's they have.

Thoughts on the car for that price? Or should I not bother with most likely expensive work being needed I the future due to miles?

Help a young MB enthusiast out!
Old 06-22-2012, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
If the wiring harness and head gaskets have been replaced it would seem most of the items prone to issues have been covered. I wouldn't worry about the 149,000 miles, the motor and tranny are pretty solid.

I would swoop it up if you can get it for $4k
Old 06-23-2012, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C36 AMG
I have had my '96 C36 for 3 and a half years now and it's been a DREAM, greatest car I have ever owned and will never sell, it's mint and it's my "pleasure car", it's pretty sad that your using a pretty rare vehicle just as a DD short commuter vehicle, it's too special for that,
You should purchase a Honda for that. I say if the head gasket has been done and everything else is great on it then I would grab it! You will not regret it.
Take care of her and she will take care of
you. Good luck.
P.S. that mileage is child's play for these hand built bulletproof 3.6L AMG engines.