C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Frantic low idle and zero brake assist? OVP, Vacuum line?...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Frantic low idle and zero brake assist? OVP, Vacuum line?...

Hey fellaz,
It's been a while since I've stepped foot in here. Been busy, just actually drove a 1986 Porsche 911 Targa home this weekend....soo pretty!

However, my Mercedes gremlins decided to attack last night once again. No warning, started and drove fine two hours before I got in it to drive home but now it decides to shut the brake assist off and idle to the point where it will eventually stall if you don't nurse the throttle. When driving, it is perfectly fine with the exception of having to murder the brake pedal whenever I need to stop. I know the OVP relay is a known culprit, as is the electronic throttle actuator and all of its mysterious vacuum lines. I have looked at the vacuum lines in front under the intake manifold and the two there seem to be okay. Are there any other known culprits I should track down? I'm also going to get under her tonight and see if the connector that plugs into the side of the transmission has worked its way loose, I know some of these wires go to the actuator (or I think).... it has come loose before but that just caused the neutral safety switch to hassle me.

I'm open to any suggestions, would like to get this buttoned up before the cold rolls in ...thanks guys, hope all has been well!
Old 10-08-2012, 02:34 PM

Carlsson CM60 EX:C36AMG'96
good to see you still got the 36. hm sounds like a problem with the wiring of the electronic throttle body.sounds like something complicated, lol from what i can tell it has something to do with the wiring. you need an expert on this ;p
Old 10-08-2012, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Hey thanks w202mylove for the reply!

I'm actually fairly well versed when it comes to the electrical of this car, I had rebuilt this exact harness two summers ago along with the other major harnesses. I currently have the neutral safety switch shorted...pretty nifty work-around if you don't have the time to deal with unbolting the transmission mount, crowbarring it sideways, and cutting your knuckles up just to take the darn thing out.

I'll poke around underneath tommorow, look for any signs of electrical issues. I'll run the OBD-II see what DC's come up. After that I guess I'll be forced to crack out the wiring diagram, go pin by pin on the connectors.

I need to turn some new shifter bushings anyhow. The shifter is sloppy as all heck and I've got some bronze barstock that is begging to be turned into shifter bushings on the turret lathe.

Wish me luck, I'll keep everyone posted as usual, never know when it may help a fellow W202 enthusiast!