C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Land Rover LR3 road trip - not much AMG content!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
Land Rover LR3 road trip - not much AMG content!

Thought I'd share some photos of my family's recent roadtrip. Let me preface by saying I'm not really into photography as a hobby, my major hobby pre-occupation is cars. But I do love looking at nice photos, especially of cars!

I've tried to shoot my photos to capture the various places we went, which was quite varied. All were shot with my Canon Powershot somethingortheother - basically a 12 megapixel point and shoot with various settings and quite a long zoom function. I think I will now step up to an SLR and try to learn how to best use that as well.

The vehicle is our 2006 Land Rover LR3 V8 HSE. Very, very comfy ride, excellent for hauling all of our stuff - which, with me, my wife, our 4 month old baby daughter, and our 7 lbs Yorkie added up quickly! By the time we added up all our luggage and shopping, not only was the back filled up, but the Yakima box was near bursting too!

We've actually done most of this particular road trip before, but I never really shot photos of the journey. Part way through, I realized how much varied terrain we would encounter, so I decided to document it. And I would typically have 5-10 minutes at each stop on the highway, because my wife would need to nurse our baby girl, so I just clicked and clicked away!

We live in Edmonton, Alberta, and drove down to Vancouver, BC to visit relatives. Whilst there, we headed over the border to Seattle to shop. I have a US shipping depot in Blaine, WA (literally 2 blocks from the border) and have a lot of cheap car parts sent there. The savings for me are huge, typically 50% or so, plus they ship for free in the US. I just have to haul it back over the border and pay my taxes.

So from Edmonton, we headed down through Banff National Park and overnighted in Revelstoke, BC. Then another day's worth of driving to Vancouver. About a week later, we spent four days in Washington, taking in Seattle, Tacoma and all places in between. Then we drove back home the way we went down, overnighting in Canmore, AB. Total distance one way from Edmonton to Vancouver is about 1200-1300km, and through in another 1000-1500km between Vancouver and Seattle and in and our Vancouver and there you have it.

Things have really come full circle, because I used to do this roadtrip once or twice a year with my parents when I was a kid. I spent many happy summers in the interior of BC and in Vancouver with relatives - and now I'm beginning to have the same fun with my own family!

This particular trip was lovely because it was the first time I've done it in the fall, so the leaves were very pretty. Actually, it was summer when we left, and very obviously fall once we returned. Boo!

Enough text, onto the photos!

First stop was at a rest stop near Lac Des Arcs just into the Canadian Rockies.

Then we stopped again shortly just outside Golden, BC, near the amazingly tall bridge over the Kicking Horse river - you can see it in the background.

Upon arrival in Vancouver, had to stop to use an ATM, and parked next to a C43:

Amazingly, two weeks later I saw the same car on the road...pretty freaky considering how rare Canadian market C43s are.

The tony Yaletown district of Vancouver, for dinner with an old law school buddy:

Stopped by the hip Kitsilano area of Vancouver too:

Went to the new EMP (Experience Music Project) museum near the Space Needle in Seattle. The EMP is a Frank Gehry designed building I believe.

Parked in downtown Seattle so we could visit the flagship Nordstrom store:

Had the shock of my life when on a later day, we parked a couple blocks away on a surface lot, and I paid $26 for three hours of parking...sheesh!

Ate a creatively named pho joint in Bellevue for dinner:

...which happened to be in the same complex as the Fisker dealership:

Went to Tacoma and took in the new LeMay America's Car Museum, just opened in June 2012:

Went to Paine Field in Everett to see the warbirds from the Flying Heritage Collection on a 'Flying Day' - lovely to see the old planes fly:

only the second time the IL-2 Shturmovik had flown in public:

Whilst waiting for the warbirds, we were fortunate enough to see the Boeing DreamLifter land:

Of course we stopped at the Premium Outlet Mall in Marysville (twice, actually!), and shopped till we dropped:

Got back to Vancouver and went downtown:

...to see the Olympic torch from the 2010 Winter Games:

Stopped by in the Granville area for more shopping:

Went to Stanley Park, of course:

Also visited Lonsdale Quay in North Vancouver:

And then all too soon it was time to head home. Stopped by at a rest stop near Mount Revelstoke, with my favourite shot of the whole trip:

Another rest stop near Cochrane, AB:

And that was it! Sad that the holiday is over and back to work. Can't wait to do it again, probably next May, but this time I think I will drive my C55 AMG.

Last edited by Saaboteur; 10-10-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carlsson CM60 EX:C36AMG'96
nice pics, must have been a nice experience, I have always wanted to do a road trip myself. after finishing my mods, before I respray the car i'll probably will do this in the c36
Old 10-10-2012, 05:44 PM
RPB

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Canada is a great place, fell in love with British Columbia on a recent trip I took!!! Nice place for retirement.

Nice pics!
Old 10-10-2012, 08:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
moon buggy
Nice trip and pictures.
Did the same trip many many years back on my W202 (C230) when my son was only 9 months old except we started out in SF Bay area. Drove I-5 north to Vancouver, stayed at my house in White Rock (now a rental). Spent 3 days in BC then drove east to Edmonton via Coquihalla. Spent a week in Alberta then headed back to BC for more sightseeing in Vancouver island.

Using a sedan like your C55 to do family trip is too much of a a hassle since you may have to lug around baby stuff + all the stuff you bought.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Nice! How fortunate for you to park next to a C43

Looked like a fun trip, I wish we could have connected when I was in Nisku but it was all business and no fun

I did happen across a C63 and C63 BS parked next to each other in a strip mall in Edmonton. I posted the pic in the W204 section in the "snapped a pic of 2 hot white chicks" thread (both C63's were white )

You guys sure do have a TON of steak houses up there the strip mall had at least 7 of them (I ate at 3 of them )
Old 10-12-2012, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
Jay, we'll have to meet up next time. I'm hoping I can do a side trip down to Portland sooner or later...perhaps next year. I am toying with the idea of driving my C55 down so I can enjoy the roads more. I will still have my Yakima box on top though, that thing is great. Without it, the stroller would take up half the luggage space in the LR3! My wife and I packed much more lightly this time, allowing for more of our little girl's stuff. Such a small person requiring so much extra gear!

Not every restaurant up here is a steak house! Just happens that everyone serves it... from your photo in the other thread, it looks like you went to South Edmonton Common, full of the big box stores and restaurants. Unfortunately, that is the reality of most of Edmonton. You really have to dig deeper to find the 'mom and pop' type joints.

Ironically, I haven't seen any 63 Black Series on the road up here yet. The first one I saw on the road was actually near Revelstoke, in the interior of BC when we were driving down. Flat black wrap looked like, looked awesome. Pictures don't do the wide arches justice. I want.