C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

c43 very bad hid head light problems.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1998 C43 Amg
c43 very bad hid head light problems.

Im having very bad problems with my original hid headlights. If I take a sharp turn or go over a bump one of them goes out. Usually its the driver side one. I checked the wiring and stuff, it seems fine. I also get a check light message on the dashboard when one of the lights go out. I have to turn them off and turn it off then the message goes away. I also noticed when I brake hard one of the lights go out.

Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android
Old 04-03-2013, 12:06 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 MB C43 2004 E55 AMG, 2004 Suzuki GSXR, gl63
try switching the bulbs from one side to the other to determine whether its the bulb itself and then go from there. Eliminate the easiest thing first.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:50 AM

1998 C43 Glacier White, Porsche 996, ML430, Cayenne, Karmann Ghia convertible
I just had a very similar situation with the driver's side brake light; exact same symptoms. I pulled the bulb and the previous owner had used a dual filament bulb which has the bayonet pins higher, but forced it in. That drove the contact surface down into the socket where it was on an angle and the bulb seated badly. I bent it up, cleaned it with electronics cleaner and put the right bulb in, and all is well. So in your case, maybe it is the way the bulb seats. Compare it to the other socket, and clean the contacts.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:44 PM

1995 C36 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by vlad957
Im having very bad problems with my original hid headlights. If I take a sharp turn or go over a bump one of them goes out. Usually its the driver side one. I checked the wiring and stuff, it seems fine. I also get a check light message on the dashboard when one of the lights go out. I have to turn them off and turn it off then the message goes away. I also noticed when I brake hard one of the lights go out.

Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android
Seems like a pretty common issue with the oem HIDs on c43s. I had a pretty similar issue with mine when I got it. Had to change the igniter and the ballasts. Definitely check the bulbs, as those are the cheapest to replace, then I'd recheck all the wires, as the movement of the turns or bumps seems like some kind of wiring issue. From there I'd check the ballasts. It seems maybe the current is getting interrupted, or there's something funky going on with the "self-leveling feature" when the car moves over a bump or around a sharp turn.