C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Need suggestions for suspension upgrade please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 E350 4MATIC, 00 E55, & 01 M3
Need suggestions for suspension upgrade please

We are looking to upgrade the C43 hill climb/ time trail/ auto-x car. Any advice on what suspension kits would work well (with camber plates). Car is NOT a daily driver. Looking for the best performance for the buck (5k motons not in the budget)

First hill climb in 3 weeks which we are going to run stock

Thanks for the assistance,
Old 06-05-2013, 08:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
99 C43 AMG, 2001 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by mdw benz
We are looking to upgrade the C43 hill climb/ time trail/ auto-x car. Any advice on what suspension kits would work well (with camber plates). Car is NOT a daily driver. Looking for the best performance for the buck (5k motons not in the budget)

First hill climb in 3 weeks which we are going to run stock

Thanks for the assistance,
I know nothing about hill climb but i upgraded to Bilstein sports and they were a great upgrade for autocross. i also just did a track day and they were pretty good for that but would go Koni adjustables if your really gonna do lots of time trials.

what i learned from the track day is that OEM brake pads dont cut it under those braking durations/speeds, probably wanna upgrade yours soon.

have fun!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dziner82
I know nothing about hill climb but i upgraded to Bilstein sports and they were a great upgrade for autocross. i also just did a track day and they were pretty good for that but would go Koni adjustables if your really gonna do lots of time trials.

what i learned from the track day is that OEM brake pads dont cut it under those braking durations/speeds, probably wanna upgrade yours soon.

have fun!
Thanks. After reading some threads on here, it sounds like vogland ( sp?) springs are a good way to go.

Btw, hill climbs are basically a timed run up a paved mountain road, usually 1-3 miles in length with tight switch backs and literally NO run off room (either hit a rock or go through a guardrail and down the mountain :-) )
Old 06-05-2013, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
98 C43, 15 Alfa 4C LE, 18 Tesla Model 3 DM Perf, 08 Duc S1000, 02 Duc 998, 98 Duc 748, 01 Miata
What is the budget? KW V2 coilovers are the ticket for the best bolt-on suspension performance. They can be had in the $1800 to $2k range new, perhaps a little less if you could find a used set. Below that would be Koni Sports with your choice of aftermarket spring. Vogtlands are popular on this board. H&R is usually a good spring but I've heard people complain about sagging over time on this forum. There is also a matched shock and spring kit from H&R for the W202 though they don't list it for the C43. I'm not sure why other than maybe it is a decent upgrade over the normal W202 suspension but not much of an upgrade to the AMG. Only a guess, not really sure.

You will probably also need to invest in camber kits front and rear. There are a few options for the rear, but I believe K-Mac is about the only game in town for the front. They are made in Australia, so you'd have to find a dealer in the US that had them in stock or plan on a few week lead time. Maybe some of the others who have bought them can chime in with their experience. Good luck!
Old 06-05-2013, 11:05 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
99 C43 AMG, 2001 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by mdw benz
Thanks. After reading some threads on here, it sounds like vogland ( sp?) springs are a good way to go.

Btw, hill climbs are basically a timed run up a paved mountain road, usually 1-3 miles in length with tight switch backs and literally NO run off room (either hit a rock or go through a guardrail and down the mountain :-) )

also i am running the Euro spec springs, which are about a 1.75-2" drop from the stock USA springs. vogtland i think goes down almost another inch from USA stock. depends on how low you want to go.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 C36 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
Also look into Speedybenz's suspension setup. He seemed to do the most serious track work with his car out of anyone on here. For a competition hill climb I'd suggest speedybenz, KW or something more custom. Konis and sport springs (Whatever brand) aren't going to bump up the handling on these cars enough to be competitive imo.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by nd4spd13
Also look into Speedybenz's suspension setup. He seemed to do the most serious track work with his car out of anyone on here. For a competition hill climb I'd suggest speedybenz, KW or something more custom. Konis and sport springs (Whatever brand) aren't going to bump up the handling on these cars enough to be competitive imo.
Thanks, will do.