C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Updating the interior....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 09:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
1998 C43 AMG
Updating the interior....

...Gotta start with the floor mats. I lucked out and was able to score a new, OEM set of C43 mats! My headliner is also taking a big dump on me and will probably be replaced with a suede headliner sometime next week.

Here's the old, generic floor mats:

vs. new:

The heel pad is very, very thick. I can't believe it even comes with matching piping.

Passenger side:

As they came out of the box...I was told they are NLA. My dealer went the extra mile and called the supplier in Chicago when she went thru the catalog and it said, "NLA".

Up next, headliner! Oh, and more carbon fiber....Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. I gotta stay away from the 'macro' setting!
Old 08-25-2013, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 C43 AMG
I want one too! I was looking for this plus the genuine rubber mats. How much was it?
Old 08-25-2013, 03:14 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
those mats are nice.
looks much nicer than european AMG floormats
me want them, me want them too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How much did they cost?

if they are NLA, dealership found the last set for you?

contrast piping is it white thread or silver?
Old 08-25-2013, 11:49 AM

1998 C43 AMG
When I went shopping for floor mats last year, I was told all that was available was a generic, "AMG" floor mat for the W202 chassis. This time around, the parts gal told me even that set was no longer available!

She said she would do some checking with the supplier and she called the closest distributor, which is Chicago (I'm in Missouri). Price had gone up to about $175 and I bought them sight-unseen.

She told the distributor what my car was and what color I wanted (black). This is what came back. I was not only surprised by the "C43" embroidery, but also the contrasting piping, which, by the way, is a silvery-grey.

Do you guys want me to see if she can get more? I tried all sorts of places - several dealers, eBay, etc. Not a OEM-set to be found, until this!
Old 08-25-2013, 01:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JohnnyRock
When I went shopping for floor mats last year, I was told all that was available was a generic, "AMG" floor mat for the W202 chassis. This time around, the parts gal told me even that set was no longer available!

She said she would do some checking with the supplier and she called the closest distributor, which is Chicago (I'm in Missouri). Price had gone up to about $175 and I bought them sight-unseen.

She told the distributor what my car was and what color I wanted (black). This is what came back. I was not only surprised by the "C43" embroidery, but also the contrasting piping, which, by the way, is a silvery-grey.

Do you guys want me to see if she can get more? I tried all sorts of places - several dealers, eBay, etc. Not a OEM-set to be found, until this!
i apprechiate if you can check 'em out for me.
c43 embroidery is cool looking compared to euro mats which comes with a tiny AMG logo
Old 08-25-2013, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 141 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
Hmm, I thought all C43's came with those mats.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 C36 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Sulaco
Hmm, I thought all C43's came with those mats.
The piping was for the designo cars as far as I've seen. Silver piping for the silver designo, blue piping for blue etc...

I'd love to get a new pair with the silver piping if available! I have the seats and wheel but "normal" "C43AMG" mats
Old 08-26-2013, 03:27 PM

1998 C43 AMG
Hey guys, just spoke with the dealer I bought mine from and she can order more. Who wants a set? They are $150/set (ff & rr) + shipping. Give her a call, she's super nice and has the part #.

Mandy at Elite Mercedes-Benz. (800) 725-5800. Part # is: BQ 6 68 0394.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:32 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 5.4, ML320CDI, Fords
My mats are pretty good and a brand new set was included with the car when I bought them.. maybe I'll put them in if I put it in a car show some day.

What's the deal.with the suede headliner?
Old 09-06-2013, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 376 Likes on 281 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
Mine were the same except they didn't have the white outline. I don't approve anything that's white and has to go under your feet so im gonna order a set of the other ones soon coz my stock ones are long gone...
Old 09-06-2013, 04:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Lucky people They are impossible to source here...
Old 09-06-2013, 09:14 AM

1998 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by benzslo
What's the deal.with the suede headliner?
I was supposed to be enjoying my new headliner today, but the supplier had trouble delivering the material to the upholstery shop. So now it's slated for next week.

I'll post up a pic or two of what I've had to deal with since then...
Old 09-07-2013, 04:32 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 5.4, ML320CDI, Fords
Ok so its a custom thing that's what I was figuring, I was just curious.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Banned

does headliner get lose from heat?
does it only happen in hot climate countries?
Old 09-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
G320 CDI, C32 AMG Sportcoupe, GLK300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
Lucky people They are impossible to source here...
Worldwide Shipping is not available?
Old 09-07-2013, 11:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
w202
Originally Posted by kowalski
does headliner get lose from heat?
does it only happen in hot climate countries?
yep, heat just kills the foam that's between the headliner board and the outside vinyl style fabric. Fabric comes loose from the board and over time you can just tap on it and feel that is not attached anymore... only the side trim and interior light assembly holds it in place.

... and then driving at speed with windows down accelerates the destruction of the headliner. In this case the headliner is forced to come loose from the back.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:49 AM

1998 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by fredtga
yep, heat just kills the foam that's between the headliner board and the outside vinyl style fabric. Fabric comes loose from the board and over time you can just tap on it and feel that is not attached anymore... only the side trim and interior light assembly holds it in place.

... and then driving at speed with windows down accelerates the destruction of the headliner. In this case the headliner is forced to come loose from the back.
fredtga is right on. It's been hot and humid here in the midwest (late summer) and my headliner seemed to fail all at once. It literally was drooping by the second. I actually had to cut out half of it because it prevented me from seeing thru the rear window.

Car was dropped off at the upholsterer this morning so I should get it back later today. I'm also getting both 'sail' panels ("C" pillars) re-done since they've faded to purple and are also starting to "bubble" away from the surface.

Pics will follow....
Old 09-21-2013, 04:08 AM

99 C43 AMG
fredtga is right on. It's been hot and humid here in the midwest (late summer) and my headliner seemed to fail all at once. It literally was drooping by the second. I actually had to cut out half of it because it prevented me from seeing thru the rear window.

Car was dropped off at the upholsterer this morning so I should get it back later today. I'm also getting both 'sail' panels ("C" pillars) re-done since they've faded to purple and are also starting to "bubble" away from the surface.

Pics will follow....
i have the same issue with mine. I just puchased my C43 a few weeks ago and that was really the only issue, drooping headliner i have yet to get fixed. Did you get the material yourself and take it to a upholstery shop or did they supply everything for you and what is your cost? I called a guy my friend recommended and he said it was 1k for alcantara or $700 for faux suede. That sound right to you? I laughed because id rather do it myself at that price but im curious what you paid?

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2013, 12:36 PM

1998 C43 AMG
deeptunes, I took my car to 2 local automotive upholstery shops, 1 which was recommended by the local Benz dealer. I would have felt fine taking it to either shop. Quotes at both shops were in the $350-$400 range. That was for the complete job: material and installation.

Check around at several places. I know of a couple shops in the Valley or North Hollywood that have good reputations. Batz Auto Upholstery in West LA, Nacho's in the SF Valley and Rich and Famous in North Hollywood. Oh, there's also a place in Lawndale on Rosecrans that my buddy had his Recaro SRD's re-skinned at and they did a great job. I'll try to get the name for you...
Old 09-22-2013, 08:39 PM

99 C43 AMG
deeptunes, I took my car to 2 local automotive upholstery shops, 1 which was recommended by the local Benz dealer. I would have felt fine taking it to either shop. Quotes at both shops were in the $350-$400 range. That was for the complete job: material and installation.

Check around at several places. I know of a couple shops in the Valley or North Hollywood that have good reputations. Batz Auto Upholstery in West LA, Nacho's in the SF Valley and Rich and Famous in North Hollywood. Oh, there's also a place in Lawndale on Rosecrans that my buddy had his Recaro SRD's re-skinned at and they did a great job. I'll try to get the name for you...

thanks!! i was recommended by a tech at a MB dealership to check harrys upholstery. I looked on yelp and its all 5 star reviews so im going to give them a call. $350-$400 is MUCH better then wasting a grand on alcantara. Ill look up the spots you mentioned and if you get that other name, would be great!.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:21 PM

1998 C43 AMG
Here's what the headliner looked like after I had to cut it out since it was blocking my view:

Here's what it looks like now:

Sorry for the crappy pics. I can't photo for ****. But it looks and smells great! Grey suede and I also recovered the rear pillars ('sail' pillars or 'C' pillars) since they were also "bubbling up" from age. He had to use a newer, more modern version of the interior fabric for the pillars and it really updates the look of the car in a subtle way.

Last edited by JohnnyRock; 10-01-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Banned

looking very nice with the new headliner.
did reupholsterer have different lining colors in stock?
you didn't go for black?
I once heard that I should always bet on black, it's the best color.

i would have never guessed that the factory lining hanging over your head was so bad?
did it block your rvm sight?
that glue must have dried out long time ago getting the fabrics to sag so badly?

new glue might stick about 10 years or so?
then time for the 2nd interior update?

as long as you're happy everything is good
Old 10-02-2013, 02:35 PM

99 C43 AMG
Here's what the headliner looked like after I had to cut it out since it was blocking my view:

Here's what it looks like now:

Sorry for the crappy pics. I can't photo for ****. But it looks and smells great! Grey suede and I also recovered the rear pillars ('sail' pillars or 'C' pillars) since they were also "bubbling up" from age. He had to use a newer, more modern version of the interior fabric for the pillars and it really updates the look of the car in a subtle way.
looks good! what did the liner set you back for suede? My quote for alcantara was 1k or $700 for faux suede. A little too steep in my book!
Old 10-02-2013, 10:25 PM

1998 C43 AMG
The suede headliner installed with materials was $350. Each rear sail panel was $45, materials included.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:09 AM

99 C43 AMG
The suede headliner installed with materials was $350. Each rear sail panel was $45, materials included.
nice! did you say you got this done in LA? If so whats the place.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Updating the interior....