1999 - C230 K - Trunk it is keep opening

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 08:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML320 (W164) - 201K Miles
1999 - C230 K - Trunk it is keep opening

Hi,
I have weird problem in my W202 1999 C230 K, trunk will automatically open even car is off and keep is very far from the car. It happens 3-4 times a day. Can someone tell me what could be wrong ?.

Thanks In Advance.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
w202
Try to adjust the position of the latch... maybe the lock does not hold tight and trunk just pops open under the load of inner side trunk springs.
If the car is locked, whenever the trunk pops open, doesn't the alarm go off?
Old 09-25-2013, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C230 Kompressor
Wow, I am having the same problem. it got so bad, it was popping open while driving. Had to tie the trunk down to make it home. Things I have done tying to solve the issue:
  • Took out the trunk lock asm, check out the function of the 2 switchs on it. Seemed to be ok. ( 2 wire switch controls unlock when pushing the trunk lock on trunk, not sure what the 3 wire switch does)
  • Examined PSE in the trunk, did not see anything obvious
  • Removed the remote trunk release (RTR) wire
  • Cleaned the RTR switch / board with circuit cleaner
  • Opened the wiring channel under the right front door, looking for wire splices ( could not find any and everything looked pristine)
  • Got the trunk key working ( metal blade in FOB will now turn the lock
With all that churn, it only opens once a day ( seems to be in the middle of the night) and so far, not while driving. It does NOT open when the car is locked.

So, how is your quest to resolve you issue. Lets join forces and compare notes if you are still failing.

Anyone out there can help. Adjusting the latch does not help.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
w202
back at this... I received a car with similar problem. My client was complaining about the exact same thing: trunk opens randomly.

I found the issue (at least in my case but makes total sense): i took off the trunk inner lining and traced the wires that come from the trunk release switch. If i recall correctly, there are two wires, one brown and one yellow. At one point inside the trunk these wires are zip-tied together against a trunk beam that has a sharp edge. Cut the zip-tie and there was the obvious: the sharp edge cut thru the wires insulation making them to short and poping the trunk open randomly.
Taped everything up and this issue never happened since.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C230 Kompressor
Thanks for your update I looked at my wire but did not notice any problems. I'll recheck thewhole wire ( best I can ). If Iddon't find anything, I'll disconnect it at the PSE.