Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E36 AMG
E36 AMG oil leak

Hi guys,

Long time reader first time poster!

I own a 1996 E36 W210 (yes an E class, we seems to not be represented in the forum). They were built in small numbers and in right hand drive, some of you must have heard about them

Anyway!!! I currently have the car off the road due to a busted radiator (coolant leaked into the transmission, not a pretty job) But thought while it was off the road I would take car of a few things that were pestering me.

Had the exhaust removed and repaired (loose cats), replaced radiator and flushed the transmission.

I also want to take care of an oil leak that I cant seem to trace. I believe the previous owner had the head gasket replaced (which would rule out the head gasket leaking, plus I cannot see any leaking from the head). The valve cover is weeping, but doesn't seem to be causing the issue. I believe the front crank seal needs replacing as there is a lot of caked on oil around the front of the engine, could this cause large oil spots to pool underneath the car?

I think the valve timing chain cover gasket would have been changed at the time of the head gasket replacement plus no oil is leaking from there.

Is it possible its coming from the "oil cooler", the piece that is attached to the oil filter housing? It is quite difficult to see without removing the intake manifold.

One last thing, anyone know where this oil is coming from?

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/owdogrqlmksk9km/4A1b6UW0OL

The power steering does not leak a drop and it seems like a lot of oil to be in a place not even close to the engine? It has me confused. If you cannot tell by the photos, that underneath the intake manifold.

Sorry for the long post guys and thanks in advanced!