Red Fluid Leak under front of car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 04:43 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
99 C43 AMG, 2001 CLK55 AMG
Red Fluid Leak under front of car

Guys,
went out and stated the car and pulled it out of the garage for the weekly winter startup today. When i pulled it back into the garage i saw that there was a couple spots of red fluid in the snow under the car near the front. i tried a basic search but didnt easily find the answer.
Is this tranny fluid? there was not a lot but looked like it may have been a slow drip, the car was in that spot running for about 10-15 mins.

about a month ago when i started the car the low fuel light in the gauge was blinking which means some sort of fuel leak (according to the manual) but i didnt see any fuel anywhere under the car nor smell any. but it came on randomly and then the next 2 weeks i started the car the blinking fuel light did not come back, so maybe that was just random, i know sometimes the car sitting in below freezing temperatures can cause some glitches. But just wondering if that blinking fuel light and the red fluid were at all related.

I just have storage insurance on the car now for the michigan winter, if it were spring i would have taken it to the shop to get looked at.

thanks for any help or advice.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
Transmission fluid is red.

There's a transmission cooler under the front passenger side. Will look like a very tiny radiator type thing with 2 small radiator style hoses coming out of it, as well as metal hoses that will run back to the transmission.

Probably no connection to blinking fuel light. At least I can't imagine how...
Old 01-26-2014, 03:37 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
might be your pilot bushing going bad.
it will start dripping more under your car.

let the oil drip in a small bucket under your car
Old 01-26-2014, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43, S500, S320, 280 SEL 4.5
I would put it up on jack stands and slid under it and take a look. Probably the cold weather has caused a transmission hose to leak on the pressure side since it drips when running.