C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Loud Rattle from the center console

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obsidian Black C43, Silver C43, Silver Carlsson E-class wagon, Brabus G-class
Loud Rattle from the center console

Actually, I'm having a difficult time isolating where the rattle is coming from. When the car is at full stop (red light) and the transmission in Drive position, the rattle starts. It sound like a vibration coming from the exhaust system and then resonates toward the center console. Have any of you had this experience? My car never used to do this and it's really annoying. I've brought it in to the dealer one time and they changed the engine mounts, but it didn't go away. Of course they always claimed that the could not duplicate the noise.

I test drove another C43 today at Santa Barbara and the car did not have a single rattle, just whining noise from the AC.

I'm planning to buy another C43 with silver exterior and two tone interior, but I'm making sure that the tranny is okay. I'm going to review all the service history from the dealer. So, I don't end up with bad tranny at 80K as I did on my first C43.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:35 PM

1998 Silver C43
maybe those rubber rings that hook to the exhaust snapped off?
Old 12-08-2003, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when your stopped at a light and you hold your shift knob, does it still make the rattling noise? if not, then maybe the the lock nut hold your shift knowb shaft might be loose. if rattling still persists, then try checkiing the items below.

some of the other things that comes to my mind right now are: maybe the transmission mounts, like 99Slvr said - muffler hangers, or even the heat shileds for the exhaust. if you get a chance, look under the car and see if you see anything touching, especially what i noted above.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:44 PM

Obsidian Black C43, Silver C43, Silver Carlsson E-class wagon, Brabus G-class
re:loud rattle from center console

Thanks everyone for your reply. I stopped by today at classic german cars in Pasadena and they inspected below the car. They found that the exhaust pipe hangers (both next to the transmission and at the cat converter) were broken. It will cost me $12.00 for parts and $36 for labor.

Thank goodness it's nothing major.

For future reference for lowered C43s, beware for the man hole covers that protrude the road at least over 5 inches high when the road is being reconstructed. I think that this caused the hangers to break because the bottom of the car slammed pretty hard when I was driving through construction zone and wasn't paying attention to the manhole covers.
Old 12-09-2003, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
ouch...but good thing it wasn't major...
Old 12-09-2003, 03:34 PM

1998 Silver C43
$36 FOR LABOR, THEM BAS-TARDS
Old 12-10-2003, 12:29 AM

AMG C43, 1999
Just an FYI. I picked up a load rattle when the Climate control was on. It sounded like a coffee can full of rocks.
turned out to be the front, multi-rib belt tensioner.

Jeff