C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Looking to purchase a c43 AMG!

Old 09-05-2015, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300se
Looking to purchase a c43 AMG!

I found a 98 c43 on craiglist listed for $6000. It has 145,000 miles, and it's lowered on H&R springs w/ bilstein shocks . The owner claims the Fuel transfer pump needs replaced of which still runs but only to half tank, and the windshield is cracked.
I have not been able to get out and see it yet in person. Is there enough red flags to avoid this car or should I still persue it?
Old 09-06-2015, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 138 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
That thing with the fuel tank happened to me once, I dont' recall what it cost to fix.

Broken windshield sucks. If everything else on the car is top notch, I'd buy. For 6k I'd expect a 100% completely sorted engine, transmission, no rust, etc.

The modified suspension says he's either a smart enthusiast or a hooner who has put a bit of abuse into it.

They can take abuse better than most, but you still want to double check everything.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
1998 C43 AMG
What's your comfort level? A cracked windshield means a new one! Costly, but think of it this way, you'll never regret looking through a brand new, un-pitted windshield when driving! Definitely worth the price.

Not sure about the fuel transfer pump, never heard of that issue. These cars are rare, so you gotta get what you can.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 C43 AMG
So I think this is my car... Not a "Hooner" lol it was my daily driver since 2008. "fuel transfer pump" may be the wrong term, it could be called the Lft Fuel sending unit. The reason I have it listed for 6k is because I know some things are wrong with it. If I fix the issues ill be re-listing it for $8-9k...
Old 11-24-2015, 04:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Siskac43
I found a 98 c43 on craiglist listed for $6000. It has 145,000 miles, and it's lowered on H&R springs w/ bilstein shocks . The owner claims the Fuel transfer pump needs replaced of which still runs but only to half tank, and the windshield is cracked.
I have not been able to get out and see it yet in person. Is there enough red flags to avoid this car or should I still persue it?
It's hard to say. I'd check around the wheel arch areas, missing liners, under the car. Check exhaust, look for minor things that are out of place in the engine area. The windshield is $300 OEM. Don't do aftermarket. The OE Supplier for the windshield is PPG.so if it doesn't say Ppg then you got an outsourced one. Unless you have no issue with after market windshields. I do it's a structural Parr of the car. Check for wear signs, oil seepage, coolant tank and leaks. Hoses. Vacuum lines (brittle or broken). I mean 6k is hard to say. When I bought my C43 I literally had the engine overhaul and seals. The trans was rebuilt so no need to work on that. I replaced all sensors and gaskets and seals to make it solid for another 100k. Need bulbs, oil, pulleys, bolts. So depends on what you are planning, keeping it a long time or for a few years.