AC Issues (C36 AMG)...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 C36 AMG
AC Issues (C36 AMG)...

Hi Guys,
New to the forum and I understand the rules of forum posting so I should just say that I have spent much of the day researching and reading and testing using the advice given on many of these forums and I still cant get the damn AC on my 1997 C36 AMG to blow cold.
Firstly let me explain what I have tried...
1) Had an AC test done which found a small leak and what was deemed and 'acceptable loss'
2) Purchased an AC recharge kit and hooked it up to the low side pressure valve. PSI read 20 psi to begin with which is obviously too low. With the engine on and the fans set to low and full blast with the EC button turned off I added refrigerant until 38/40psi. The air is still not blowing cold.
3) Did some more research and found a method of diagnosing AC codes. Tested me system and read the following codes (all temperatures are in Celsius):
01 - 40 degrees
02 - 35 degrees
03 - 39 degrees
05 - 39 degrees
06 - 86 degrees
07 - 2.5
08 - 45 degrees
09 - 10 degrees
-9 - 10 degrees
10 - 190
I guess i should also mention that outside temperature is approximately 30 degrees Celsius.
I assume that the value for code 05 means I do not have a faulty evaporator temperature sensor (common on W202s as I understand). However the value for 07 (pressure) concerns me.
Could anybody shed any light on why my system may not be working? I appreciate that this topic has been covered a number of times however I feel my issue is slightly different with the correctly functioning evap temp sensor.
Please could anybody help me get to the bottom of this.
Much appreciated.
Harry
Old 09-08-2015, 10:15 AM

98 silver C43 210K
Harry.
I've also the same exact issue. I want to thank you for you thorough post. I quit after your step2. I cant help you but maybe you me...please share with your "found a method of diagnosing AC codes" I think you mean reading back the codes and you are asking for diagnosis help ;-).

Ive a OBD2 bluetooth and a paid for app on my smart phone. But i dont recall seeing 01-10 as you post. maybe its a sub-menu? Ive you're using a obd2 please do post the link or the info for to getting the codes as you wrote...i have not seen this.

-Dan
Old 09-08-2015, 10:30 AM

1997 C36 AMG
Dan,
This problem is driving me insane im hoping somebody can chime in with a solution soon!
The method of diagnosing the AC codes is not done with an ODB reader of any kind. As far as I understand (and it worked for me) you must have the air on doesn't have to be full blast then press the Red up arrow and Blue down arrow simultaneously to change the temperature to 22 degrees Celsius. Then push and hold the 'Rest' button for approximately 5 seconds until you see the number '01' come up on the screen. It will flash '01' and then a corresponding number, usually in degrees (Celsius or Fahrenheit). Once you have recorded the corresponding temperature or number press the increase fan button to change to the next number '02' and so on. Press 'Rest' to exit or just shut off the car.
Apparently 05 will be a ridiculous value like 150 degrees of your evaporator temperature sensor is out. In this case mine is normal so im totally at a loss!
Good luck with your problem Dan keep me posted
Old 06-03-2016, 05:39 PM

1997 C36 AMG
Dan,
Did you ever get a solution to this? Summer has rolled back around and I remember what it was like to not have the AC...
Old 06-04-2016, 03:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
1999 AMG C43
Just had this issue. Mine was out of refrigerant, likely a leaking a/c compressor. Although I have not correctly diagnosed the problem I did a recharge and the a/c is working again. As your pressure is so low, it is likely to be leaking as well. If you do refill it yourself, make sure you use the refrigerant with dye so you can later use a UV light and find the leak.

Reading about the a/c compressor, I found that new ones are around $800, I also found that they sell rebuilt ones on ebay with lifetime guarantee for $150., but I also learned that you can buy the seals for the a/c compressor and rebuild it yourself for about $30 if you were so inclined.