Help finding coolant leak?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 Mercedes C36 AMG
Question Help finding coolant leak?

Let me share my current '95 C36 issue and see if anyone can help:

In the past month, I've been loosing a lot of antifreeze. Temps, oil and all indications are fine. Cooling system cycles on/off with heater on as expected. I replaced head casket, fan clutch, bearing, pulley; pulley tensioner and all coolant hoses a couple of years back. I know my AC unit is bad and will replace later this year.

From underneath, the coolant is dripping off center of oil pan from down middle of engine block beneath manifold. No fluids present up front on radiator or hoses direct to the radiator. Not particularly damp around fan/fan clutch. And no signs of fluids near back of engine or firewall.

I'm not familiar with where all the coolant goes through hoses under manifold and searching for diagrams/ideas?

EDIT: I ran the car with the heat on high. This dramatically increased the flow rate dripping off the bottom of the oil plan in center, driver's side. Cannot see excessive leak for any source, joint, unit? I am thinking Water Pump. I reviewed records and it was replaced in '06. I will probably go ahead and order water pump and a/c compressor unless a better idea for diagnosis pops up here. Any thoughts on where to buy?

Thanks!

Last edited by CigarXO; 05-21-2017 at 11:07 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 05-23-2017, 12:55 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 5.4, ML320CDI, Fords
Water pump is common on these engines.
Old 09-05-2022, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C36
Originally Posted by CigarXO
Let me share my current '95 C36 issue and see if anyone can help:

In the past month, I've been loosing a lot of antifreeze. Temps, oil and all indications are fine. Cooling system cycles on/off with heater on as expected. I replaced head casket, fan clutch, bearing, pulley; pulley tensioner and all coolant hoses a couple of years back. I know my AC unit is bad and will replace later this year.

From underneath, the coolant is dripping off center of oil pan from down middle of engine block beneath manifold. No fluids present up front on radiator or hoses direct to the radiator. Not particularly damp around fan/fan clutch. And no signs of fluids near back of engine or firewall.

I'm not familiar with where all the coolant goes through hoses under manifold and searching for diagrams/ideas?

EDIT: I ran the car with the heat on high. This dramatically increased the flow rate dripping off the bottom of the oil plan in center, driver's side. Cannot see excessive leak for any source, joint, unit? I am thinking Water Pump. I reviewed records and it was replaced in '06. I will probably go ahead and order water pump and a/c compressor unless a better idea for diagnosis pops up here. Any thoughts on where to buy?

Thanks!
Did you ever figure this out? I’m having the same problem on my 96 C36.
Old 09-05-2022, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 139 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
Had this on my 94 C280, which is also an M104.

It was a hose going to the firewall for the heater core. It's between the engine and firewall, but my memory is hazy.