C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Ticketed for not having a front license plate :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 07:58 PM
RPB

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Ticketed for not having a front license plate :(

I had to bite my lip on this one and knew it was the law. I live in VA, I never installed the front plate and got pulled over this evening for the first time in 8-9 yrs. I was a bit shocked that he issued me a ticket considering my driving record. I'm originally from S. Florida, the law there only requires a rear plate.

The total fees amount to $80-90, but I want to know if there are points involved. Does anyone happen to know if this is considered a moving violation in VA? I checked the DMV site and could not find an answer. The cop told me I could go to court and the judge will most likely throw it out if I can show a picture w/ a front plate. I try to avoid Fairfax City, if there are no points involved I will most likely pay the fee. Any insight would be appreciated! Also, be aware some VA cops will ticket you for this.

Cheers,

-Rob
Old 09-26-2017, 08:57 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2004 E55
Bummer! I never run a front plate because it's hideous. Yes, also a state law here in IL. I've been pulled over twice, but never received any tickets. Sorry, can't comment on whether or not you get points in VA. Did you end up putting a front plate back on?
Old 09-26-2017, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
1999 AMG C43
According to the law firm of Riley and Wells, presumably lawyers in VA. no license plate is 3 points.

see attachment

also you missed this very cool video i posted a while back

Attached Files
Old 09-26-2017, 09:06 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2004 E55
Those are pretty neat Mickey! Sounds like it slaps your bumper pretty hard though. Maybe I'll get one of those to avoid any trouble.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:08 PM
RPB

Originally Posted by eFifty5AMG
Bummer! I never run a front plate because it's hideous. Yes, also a state law here in IL. I've been pulled over twice, but never received any tickets. Sorry, can't comment on whether or not you get points in VA. Did you end up putting a front plate back on?
No sir! I was about to put the plate back on, but a close friend of mine confirmed that not having a front plate in VA is considered a non-moving violation and no points will be assessed. I found it a bit odd at first when he just handed me a printed out slip that did not require a sig w/ the code 82-3-3. The fines add up to about $90.

The officer most likely thought I was up to no good and just used it as an excuse to pull me over. Younger chap and not tenured in his profession. Shame when you think about it, the guy could of definitely been using his time more wisely. There is always one of them out there. Be aware my friends..

Last edited by RPB; 09-26-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 AMG C43
What about using silicone stops in the back? I have a brand new bumper yet to be painted and mounted. No way am I drilling holes in it lol.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 139 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by mickey13
What about using silicone stops in the back? I have a brand new bumper yet to be painted and mounted. No way am I drilling holes in it lol.
where'd you get a brand new bumper!?

anyway cop was clearly a typical BMW guy
Old 09-27-2017, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 AMG C43
Originally Posted by Sulaco

parts.com

BUT.... shipping charges were like $300+ because of the size. in fact, if i remember correctly, they refused to ship it because of the cost and the fact that is is very likely the bumper will be damaged in shipping. apparently MB has some special insurance or relationship with their shippers that allows things to be shipped from germany or from dealer to dealer.

lucky for me parts.com is in NJ. i drove 2 or 3 hours to grab it

maybe i'll slap it on next summer
Old 09-27-2017, 10:26 PM
RPB

Originally Posted by Sulaco

I can promise you this officer has never owned anything with the word "German" stamped on it. Things would have gone very differently. I will leave it at that..
Old 09-28-2017, 10:15 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by RPB
I can promise you this officer has never owned anything with the word "German" stamped on it. Things would have gone very differently. I will leave it at that..
this kind of dirtbag cop is considered the jealous kind of people!
his eyes was hurting when he saw your german vehicle!

coppers thoughts going through his mind was, you as a Mercedes owner is loaded with monie when you can afford to drive an import.
five-0 decided to give you a hard time.

these are the worst kind of people when they feel good about themself giving tickets out of devilry!

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 09-28-2017 at 10:18 AM.