C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Rear Spring Removal + Replace

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 11:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
1998 C43 AMG
Rear Spring Removal + Replace

Morning, Gents, doing a search as I type this but also thought I should make a post for easy reference.

For those of you who have replaced springs on your C43, do I need to remove the lower control arm in order to remove the rear springs safely? (note the word, "safely"). I've watched numerous YoutTube videos on rear spring removal and this is one of the best I've seen. Although the video is for the W211 chassis, the suspension components are practically identical to ours.

However, the tech in the video does remove the rear mounting bolts for the swaybar link and shocks in order to drop the control arm far enough to remove the spring without the compressor. I have the Mercedes spring removal tool and the rear shocks are being replaced as well, so I thought I should tackle installing the Vogtland springs I bought about 6 years ago!

Advice and comments on the best way to tackle their removal is appreciated.

PS. SInce Photobucket blows, which image hosting sites work best for posting pics here?
Old 08-14-2018, 03:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
1998 C43 AMG
Thanks, Kowalski. My research shows that using the spring compressor on the rear springs is not actually necessary, although I used it since it was already in place. Simply removing the inner-most bolt to the lower control arm (using a floor jack underneath to keep the pivot point in place), allows the lower arm to fall away sufficiently to remove the spring without compressing it. (I think. I'll report back once I do the driver side!)
Old 08-15-2018, 04:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 261 Likes on 221 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
As Kowalski says a spring compressor is the safe way, however the lower control arm method is also possible if you take appropriate care doing so. I assume the vehicle will be sitting on stands to be 100% secure, if not do it.

Edited to add that if you have the OE N. America springs which make the 43 look like an "off road" vehicle, I would be extra careful as they are longer on overall length than the Euro ones, so could bite you if you're not careful

Last edited by DRBC43AMG; 08-15-2018 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Completed post