C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Fellow C43 Owner needs help in OC, CA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43
Fellow C43 Owner needs help in OC, CA

Hello all, this is my first time posting here but I have read the forum for a while now.

Like many others, my transmission totally blew up a few weeks ago (65k miles) Just started it up one morning and it sounded like gunfire in my garage.

I have the Starmark warranty so it was replaced under that. Here is the problem, when I picked the car up and drove it home, the C43 growl that we all know and love is gone. No growl and no deep tone when I start it up, no growl when I accelerate, etc. The only sound is from the engine but the car sounds like it has been detuned. Performance seems ok but in my opinion, the sound is one of the most important aspects of the car.

Well, I took it back into the dealership (Fletcher Jones in Newport) and after arguing with two service advisors who said "It sounds fine", the finally got the shop foreman to come out. He test drove the car and came back and said "There is something not right with the car, there is no grunt and growl that is accustomed with the C43" He said he would look at it and get it fixed.

Well, they call me yesterday and say that they ran every test possible and the computers show that nothing is wrong and because the computers done say anything, they cant do anything more. They acknowledge that it does not sound right but pretty much, I have to deal with it. After raising some more hell, excuse my language, but I am pissed, he said that he would have a MB certified technician come look at it.

Sorry for the long story but here is where I am at. I need someone who has a stock C43 that lives in ORange County, CA to assist me. You will be compensated for your time and effort. I need them to come with me to Fletcher and pretty much just have the car there so I can show them that it sounds different and something is messed up with my car. We would start my C43 and yours side by side to listen to the difference in engine growl. I either need to get this fixed or get out of my lease.

Hopefully I can get some help, it would be much appreciated. You can post a message here, email me at vineemehta@hotmail.com or call me at 714 478 9379. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:35 PM
Almost a Member!

99 C43
I, too live in OC but my resonator's been removed so mine really growls. Try Laguna Niguel Mercedes call Chris Erickson, 949-347-3934, he's a service writer and very helpful, hopefully he can help you out.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:36 AM

C43
THat is funny. I live in Aliso as well. Do you own your Benz or lease? Did removing the resonator have any effect on your warranty? Where did you get that done? Thanks for your time and help, much appreciated.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:55 PM

C55
My .02

I'm sorry to lob such a lame suggestion out but I had to do it... Did they change the air filters in the car? If they did maybe they used a more restrictive air filter. Check the openings on the air intakes as well...maybe a fletcheer got jamed in there and is clogging the air flow ( I lived in OC and those Fletchers are everywhere :-) )

Seriously I would start with the intake since thats the main source of growl. If no luck there I would double check under the car to see if they bolted on some new Catalytics or resonators.... Maybe they grabbed the wrong exhaust system when they bolted it all back together...doubt that since its a C43 so not much else would fit...

If the car is making the same power they fiddled with something....which could be your new trans... whic leads me to...another theory that your trans was showing signs of poor health, that you mis-took took for a growl, then at 65K it decided to really puke up. It could have been a bad gear, input, whizzy wig or whatever in your trans that was causing a low groan or whine/growl that you actually came to appreciate. Maybe?

On another note I was in my M3 last night top down and my Wife was driving the C43... (SMG cant drive the M3...still has not figured it out .. cool )
and I will say I was much more interested in hearing the C43 rumble then that biatch like whine from the M3.... OH btw she jumped me off a light and kicked my bootie.... god praise the torque of the C43...guess my little tweaks are paying off
She was busitn my ***** all night... 'your car is slowwww' I said pretty funny that does not bother me since Uhmmm both cars are mine. I said it in a nice way and said no more C43 for you!

OK good luck hope my theories help.
Check: Air filterss and intake path (did they put the 'blockers' back in the grill)
Check: Exhaust, Cats ...did they sneak some new ones on there?
Check: Your old trans for the growl which is impossible at this point.. :-(

BOttomline, if the car is making the same power and its now quiet for some reason...go hack the resonators off and I promist you will be a happy camper again. I have yet to do this but it's on the list...not sure if I want my car to be quite that loud..the sleeper appeal has been priceless at so many red lights I've lost count. And I've owned her since July.....

Last edited by MERCGUY; 08-31-2004 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:59 AM
Almost a Member!

99 C43
Originally Posted by cfp43
THat is funny. I live in Aliso as well. Do you own your Benz or lease? Did removing the resonator have any effect on your warranty? Where did you get that done? Thanks for your time and help, much appreciated.
small world, i own my C43, just got it a month ago. i bought it with the resonator removed. my friend is a mechanic at the laguna niguel dealership and he printed out the car's entire service history, most of the service was done at fletcher, they noted that the resonator and stock muffler had been removed, yet continued to make repairs under the stramark warranty. i dropped my c43 off today, 8/31, to have the valve cover gaskets, steering dampner, and flex disk replaced but when i get it back your more than welcome to check out the exhaust. they didn't do they greatest job in the world but it sounds great. i don't know who did it, pretty sure i wouldn't recommend them, the welds aren't the greatest, but i do know Mickey over at Bullet Performance in costa mesa can recommend the shop that does their exhaust work. pm me if want to see the exhaust, i'll give you my cell number. btw, you need to swing by the laguna niguel showroom and check out the McLaren SLR, its incredible in person.