Restoring A C43 To Keep Or Sell

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 93 Posts
c43
Restoring A C43 To Keep Or Sell

I bought a silver 1999 C43 2-3 months ago. Winter hit so it’s been on hold till it gets warmer. I have some questions you guys might be willing to chime in.

This car did not come with xenon lights. I personally don’t mind but if I end putting it for sale the buyer might care.

Is it hard and even possible to take the xenon lights out of another C43 and install them on this non xenon C43?

I also have a 98 C43 that came with xenon lights that I could swap with. The 98 C43 has to much work to do right now to restore so it can wait. And I like the black 98 and may never sell it. Did some mods on the throttle body and intake manifold as well as the air box. So I like the way it runs. But looks are bad as it has rusted doors and fenders etc….

Back to the silver C43. My other question is. How much do you guys think I may be able to sell this car for once it’s fully restored? By restore I mean that I will remove every drop of rust on the body and underneath.

There’s a few rust spots on two doors and trunk. The fenders had a little and I already took care of that. I also have all the panels from a mint C36 Amg that I could swap with but totally not necessary. I plan to use those panels on the rusted black C43.

Im also going to paint the whole car brilliant silver, same as oem. So it will look bran new all around.

I already purchased tons of stuff to install to make it run even better. Engine mounts, ignition coils, maf, spark plug wires, spark plugs, cam sensor, crank sensor, fan clutch, new serpentine belt with pulleys, lower control arms, ball joints, upper and lower radiator hoses, drag link and pitman arm that right now is loose a little.

And I’m sure there’s more like rear brake rotors and pads all around. I’m keeping it stock so I won’t be lowering it even if I keep it.

Car has 126k miles and runs like new. But I want to replace everything because I haven’t been feeling to well and I want to take care of it now that I can

The interior has the two tone and is in pristine condition accept for the driver seat. It needs some repair which I was quoted 400 bucks to make like new, I don’t know about that. The wood and carpet are great condition.

The Ac works but has a leak so will have to fix that.

Im hoping I will find a buyer that will pay 14-15 thousand for it. Like I said it will look and drive like new. And it won’t need anything, just turn the key and go

If I can’t get that I will just keep it and hope prices keep going up.

What do you guys think, is it reasonable to ask for that price? Those are the only numbers that make sense for me to sell. So much work will be done to it.

Anyone reading this and you’re interested in buying it after the work is done reach out and let me know.

Thanks for reading. Any suggestions or comments are welcomed.
Old 01-04-2023, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 376 Likes on 281 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
Originally Posted by speed43
I bought a silver 1999 C43 2-3 months ago. Winter hit so it’s been on hold till it gets warmer. I have some questions you guys might be willing to chime in.

This car did not come with xenon lights. I personally don’t mind but if I end putting it for sale the buyer might care.

Is it hard and even possible to take the xenon lights out of another C43 and install them on this non xenon C43?

I also have a 98 C43 that came with xenon lights that I could swap with. The 98 C43 has to much work to do right now to restore so it can wait. And I like the black 98 and may never sell it. Did some mods on the throttle body and intake manifold as well as the air box. So I like the way it runs. But looks are bad as it has rusted doors and fenders etc….

Back to the silver C43. My other question is. How much do you guys think I may be able to sell this car for once it’s fully restored? By restore I mean that I will remove every drop of rust on the body and underneath.

There’s a few rust spots on two doors and trunk. The fenders had a little and I already took care of that. I also have all the panels from a mint C36 Amg that I could swap with but totally not necessary. I plan to use those panels on the rusted black C43.

Im also going to paint the whole car brilliant silver, same as oem. So it will look bran new all around.

I already purchased tons of stuff to install to make it run even better. Engine mounts, ignition coils, maf, spark plug wires, spark plugs, cam sensor, crank sensor, fan clutch, new serpentine belt with pulleys, lower control arms, ball joints, upper and lower radiator hoses, drag link and pitman arm that right now is loose a little.

And I’m sure there’s more like rear brake rotors and pads all around. I’m keeping it stock so I won’t be lowering it even if I keep it.

Car has 126k miles and runs like new. But I want to replace everything because I haven’t been feeling to well and I want to take care of it now that I can

The interior has the two tone and is in pristine condition accept for the driver seat. It needs some repair which I was quoted 400 bucks to make like new, I don’t know about that. The wood and carpet are great condition.

The Ac works but has a leak so will have to fix that.

Im hoping I will find a buyer that will pay 14-15 thousand for it. Like I said it will look and drive like new. And it won’t need anything, just turn the key and go

If I can’t get that I will just keep it and hope prices keep going up.

What do you guys think, is it reasonable to ask for that price? Those are the only numbers that make sense for me to sell. So much work will be done to it.

Anyone reading this and you’re interested in buying it after the work is done reach out and let me know.

Thanks for reading. Any suggestions or comments are welcomed.
As far as the fitment of the headlights there isn't any difference. You'll need to transfer over the ballasts as well because xenon lights have those.

If properly restored I'm sure it'll fetch 13-15k easy depending on mileage and condition of the interior. People prefer OEM on online auctions I noticed that.

I would focus on the interior. The two tone is really a selling point on this car especially if in good oem shape. Having it properly restored works too imo.

People want the things that are hard to find like those seats, the mats, factory monoblocks and suspension setup and body kit. When my black car got totaled, I made sure to grab my floormats to use in my red c43.
Old 01-04-2023, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 141 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
Learned in the club202 days xenon swap isn't feasible. The silver car won't have the body level sensors installed. Swapping the lights and ballasts aren't enough.

I don't think buyers would care that much if you fix it up the way you plan on. Ignore the headlights, fix it, and I imagine 15k is a fair expectation.

I need to do all the same work to mine including a full blown bumper to bumper respray. Except mine has 320k miles and no rust!!
Old 01-05-2023, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 376 Likes on 281 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
Lights will still work tho. Leveling sensors arent required for the lights to work are they?
Old 01-05-2023, 07:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1998 C43, 2017 Honda Accord Sport
Leveling sensor install isn't too difficult from what I read. Finding the sensors to buy is the challenge.
Old 01-06-2023, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 93 Posts
c43
Thanks guys for the info.

My black c43 has xenon lights and both front and back leveling sensor are broken and do t work. But the lights still turn on and work properly. I don’t drive any night so I do t really care for xenon.

Maybe convert the silver non xenon to LED lights?
The following users liked this post:
Sulaco (01-06-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 05:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
The levelling system is useful to avoid glare to oncoming drivers. In my part of the woods, not having working a levelling system with xenon lights is a fail on the official roadworthy inspection tests.