C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Coolant Leak - Water Pump or Something Else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG 1998
Question Coolant Leak - Water Pump or Something Else?

I have a 1998 C43 that has developed a coolant leak that appears to be predominantly at the front driver's side part of the engine. I figured I would go ahead and replace the water pump, thermostat, and main coolant hoses. However, the majority of the residue appears to be lateral to the water pump (towards the driver's side). The coolant was leaking at the front left side - dripping mostly from the compressor area. Could this be the water pump still or should I look elsewhere while the components are off? Of note it recently received a valve cover gasket change so some of this dark residue in the images may be caked-on from prior. Also, when I received the car a few months ago the heat and AC did not work. I appreciate any tips and guidance.

Old 03-17-2023, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 95 Posts
c43
If the leak is from the water pump move the water pump pulley froward and backward with your hand or with something. If it moves easily time to change the pump. Or at least soon for sure. Also if it's the pump you should see a leakage right under the pulley. If pulley don't move and it's dry at the bottom than it's probably somewhere else. Maybe a pin hole in one of the hoses somewhere. Let us know what it was.
The following users liked this post:
944turbeaux (03-20-2023)