C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

What are the C43 tranny failure symptoms?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the C43 tranny failure symptoms?

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and was combing through some of the old threads and was alarmed by the tranny failure stories. I have a 1999 C43 with 41K miles on it that I just purchased used and was wondering if you guys could just outline some of the symptoms of when a transmission is going bad so that I can know what to look out for.

To start, I have a slight droning/rumbling/groaning at low speeds (under 25), is that anything? I thought it might be the tires. Otherwise, it's very quiet at speeds above 25.

I should also mention that the car will be driven very lightly, I can't speak for the previous owner though.

Thanks a bunch!

Alex

Last edited by alex909; 12-10-2004 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:40 PM

The biggest tranny failure symptoms I experienced were usually on on-ramps to highways. Sometimes it would be as if the car slipped into neutral for a bit. The car wouldn't accelerate at all, just coast to a stop. Pushing the accelerator at all would rev to redline just like neutral, but there would be no accompanying increase in speed. I could fix it sometimes by going between neutral and drive a few cycles, but it was definitely dangerous and this was an emergency maneuver to keep from getting creamed for going twenty on the highway.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:08 PM

Mercedes C43 AMG
Originally Posted by rguy
The biggest tranny failure symptoms I experienced were usually on on-ramps to highways. Sometimes it would be as if the car slipped into neutral for a bit. The car wouldn't accelerate at all, just coast to a stop. Pushing the accelerator at all would rev to redline just like neutral, but there would be no accompanying increase in speed. I could fix it sometimes by going between neutral and drive a few cycles, but it was definitely dangerous and this was an emergency maneuver to keep from getting creamed for going twenty on the highway.
I had the exact same symptom with my car. What they found was that the solenoid for the tranny was defective. It was replaced (about $500 under extended warranty) and the tranny was fine since.

Baron
Old 01-26-2005, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by alex909
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and was combing through some of the old threads and was alarmed by the tranny failure stories. I have a 1999 C43 with 41K miles on it that I just purchased used and was wondering if you guys could just outline some of the symptoms of when a transmission is going bad so that I can know what to look out for.

To start, I have a slight droning/rumbling/groaning at low speeds (under 25), is that anything? I thought it might be the tires. Otherwise, it's very quiet at speeds above 25.

I should also mention that the car will be driven very lightly, I can't speak for the previous owner though.

Thanks a bunch!

Alex
Could be your tires.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:26 PM

if its your tranny and you have no more warrenty, try a bottle of lucas automatic transmission fix.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450, Sienna SE
My tranny would slip a liitle under hard acceleration. Then again when it failed it just wouldnt go into D anymore and was stuck in P. Service advisor said my torque converter granaded. Good thing I have extended warranty and still have extended warranty on it. I hoping to get a rebuild on my motor and tranny before I sell it so the future owner doesnt have to worry about these things.