Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why C43 AMG instead of CLA45 AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Porsche Cayman
I'm debating this issue myself, at the moment.

Actually, I'm not really considering the CLA45, though. I'm more thinking GLA45 vs C43.

I've not driven the GLA45 or the C43 yet, but I have driven the CLA45 and the C450.

As some other folks have mentioned, the CLA45 has serious headroom constraints in the rear seat. I'm 5' 11", and, while in the back of the CLA45, I felt like I was one good pothole away from getting my head compressed into my spine. The GLA45 doesn't have the same problem (of course, the C450/C43 has an even roomier rear seat).

The CLA45 definitely feels nimbler than the C450 and seemed to have less body roll, and the CLA45 I drove didn't even have the new AMG Dynamic Plus package with the LSD.

As far as the engine, I thought that the CLA45 made quite a nice noise, but I really like that you can now switch the exhaust into quiet mode if you want to be more stealthy. The C450 was too muted, but it seems like the C43 will now also have the option for an active exhaust, so that could put the C43 ahead in that department.

As far as the interior, the C450 did have a nicer interior overall (I quite like the matte black wood). However, you can get the same seats and steering wheel in both cars, which are probably the parts of the interior that are most important to me. I don't think just having nicer materials on the dash, doors, etc. would really be enough to make me pick the C43 over the CLA45/GLA45 (especially now that the CLA45/GLA45 get that Dinamica interior option).

The C450 was probably quieter, but the CLA45 I drove certainly didn't strike me as a loud car (well, at least when I wasn't flooring the accelerator with the exhaust in loud mode ).

I know some folks have complained about the transmission in the CLA45, but I definitely liked it better than the one in the C450. It seemed sportier, with faster upshifts and downshifts. The C43 is going to have that new 9G, though, which could even things up.

As far as tech, the CLA45/GLA45 gets Carplay which, if I'm understanding it correctly, means I don't have to spend the extra $$$ on in-car navigation, which is certainly appealing. On the other hand, the C43 has the heads-up-display option which looks really cool.

So, I'm still kind of on the fence. I'm kind of leaning towards the GLA45, because I think that the AMG Dynamic Plus package is going to make it more of a driver's car. However, I really need to drive a C43 with the new exhaust and transmission and see how they affect the experience.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:13 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,355 Likes on 2,809 Posts
2012 CLS63
this is a great thread, I've always liked the looks of the CLA, seems like a younger CLS, but the comments about the CLA interior are spot on.....it's total garbage!
Old 10-01-2016, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
From my experience at 5' 10" the button on a hat hits the roof.
My 2015 did not have dynamic suspension adjustment and it held on to just about every condition I could throw at it on Western Speedway in Victoria (1/2 mile oval with chicane in the backstraight and hairpin at one end and at the Vancouver Island circuit in Duncan BC (islandmotorsportcircuit.com/category/the-track/) which is a twisty hilly exciting place the CLA45 fits really well. The only guy who could beat me was my pal in a 2013 C63 couple. The thing just soaks up the power and puts it down but you will never spin the tires like a C63 can even with ESP on.
The engine in noisy at highway speed as were the tires.
I could only impress the troops with exhaust noise in Sport or manual. The shift points in C are too low but then again fuel economy is what that is all about.
The ride is choppy over uneven roads. The low profile tire does not help.
The front suspension is quirky over curbs with minimal steering inputs while turning in or backing out and I am convinced that there is mechanical clashing going on and was the main reason I dumped it.
Keep in mind that the CLA 45 is built off the Euopean A platform and is the entry level car for MB around the world so they have dollied it up but in MHO stick to the basic sedans with historical roots.
I swapped my CLA45 for a 2013 C63 AMG with performance package and it is a superior car to the CLA45 except no 4Matic but where I live I do not need it.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLA
Originally Posted by Boucher
I'm debating this issue myself, at the moment.

Actually, I'm not really considering the CLA45, though. I'm more thinking GLA45 vs C43.

I've not driven the GLA45 or the C43 yet, but I have driven the CLA45 and the C450.

As some other folks have mentioned, the CLA45 has serious headroom constraints in the rear seat. I'm 5' 11", and, while in the back of the CLA45, I felt like I was one good pothole away from getting my head compressed into my spine. The GLA45 doesn't have the same problem (of course, the C450/C43 has an even roomier rear seat).

The CLA45 definitely feels nimbler than the C450 and seemed to have less body roll, and the CLA45 I drove didn't even have the new AMG Dynamic Plus package with the LSD.

As far as the engine, I thought that the CLA45 made quite a nice noise, but I really like that you can now switch the exhaust into quiet mode if you want to be more stealthy. The C450 was too muted, but it seems like the C43 will now also have the option for an active exhaust, so that could put the C43 ahead in that department.

As far as the interior, the C450 did have a nicer interior overall (I quite like the matte black wood). However, you can get the same seats and steering wheel in both cars, which are probably the parts of the interior that are most important to me. I don't think just having nicer materials on the dash, doors, etc. would really be enough to make me pick the C43 over the CLA45/GLA45 (especially now that the CLA45/GLA45 get that Dinamica interior option).

The C450 was probably quieter, but the CLA45 I drove certainly didn't strike me as a loud car (well, at least when I wasn't flooring the accelerator with the exhaust in loud mode ).

I know some folks have complained about the transmission in the CLA45, but I definitely liked it better than the one in the C450. It seemed sportier, with faster upshifts and downshifts. The C43 is going to have that new 9G, though, which could even things up.

As far as tech, the CLA45/GLA45 gets Carplay which, if I'm understanding it correctly, means I don't have to spend the extra $$$ on in-car navigation, which is certainly appealing. On the other hand, the C43 has the heads-up-display option which looks really cool.

So, I'm still kind of on the fence. I'm kind of leaning towards the GLA45, because I think that the AMG Dynamic Plus package is going to make it more of a driver's car. However, I really need to drive a C43 with the new exhaust and transmission and see how they affect the experience.
I was in your situation last year and i went with the GLA45. Just to clear some potential confusion i'll give some insight...

some potential confusion

Exhaust loud mode: At idle the loudness is determined by having the "performance exhaust option when you bought the car. Your car is always at a higher volume compared to someone with the option. The button only affect the noise when you are on throttle and at higher boost, nothing happens at idle.

Dynamic plus: unless you are tracking two different 45s back to back you will not notice the limited diff. If you want the 2 stage suspension you can get it a la cart.

A/CLA/GLA vs C w205

Chassis wise im in favor of the smaller A/CLA/GLA class, recently returning from AMG driving academy. I've notice a lot more heft and body roll in a fully optioned 2016 C63 compared to a 2014 CLA45. Keep in mind I drove both cars within span on an hr, power sliding, auto crossing back to back. Overall im just amazed that a old 14 CLA felt more nibble and less heavy to a brand new c63.

Interior wise no doubt, the A Class is going to be inferior to a C, period. Thats why i would recommend to get the performance seats in the A/GLA/CLA45 to enhance the interior appeal if you go that route.

Why 43/450 ?

Benefits of picking 43/450 is dealership perks, dealers are more willing to discount and apply incentives to this "normal" model over a 'rare' AMG.

You pay less for 'normal' car maintenance schedule vs 'amg' schedule

You get more for your money, performance options on c43/450 are pretty good and standard. Where in the A class they will nickel and dime you for everything.

Why i went 45

I always wanted a hatch over a boring sedan (i come from a M sedan), its a more rare shape.

I like the hatch trunk space, packed for 4 adults and a baby stroller for a wkend trip.

I daily my AMG and when im not on full boost i get 24 mpg, it matters to me.

I was not satisfied that the c43/450 looks identical to a c300, which are a dime a dozen where i lived.

Im just not a fan of the c43/450 engine/exhaust noise, yea it does the "tot tot tot" thing but sounds forced and unnecessary. I prefer the loud "brattt" lol

Im sure theres more but thats all i can type for now. Either way you cant go wrong both are great cars.

Last edited by M-type; 10-01-2016 at 06:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Boucher (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 08:21 AM

2014 Porsche Cayman
Originally Posted by M-type
Benefits of picking 43/450 is dealership perks, dealers are more willing to discount and apply incentives to this "normal" model over a 'rare' AMG.

You pay less for 'normal' car maintenance schedule vs 'amg' schedule
These are both good points, but I wonder if they still apply since the C43 is now a "real" AMG, too (at least according to Mercedes)?
Old 10-02-2016, 12:16 PM

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
C43 Coupe
These are both good points, but I wonder if they still apply since the C43 is now a "real" AMG, too (at least according to Mercedes)?

Well for the maintenance side, and how Mercedes is treating them, I'd still say as a "Normal" car.

If you look at the finance rates on Mercedes Canada,

C300 or C43 1.9% interest, C63S 4.9%

Also with prepaid maintenance,

C300 or C43 $999, C63S $1599 for the same 3 year terms.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:00 AM

Infiniti G37S
C43 is kind of soft looking, kind of wimpy. I wish it had a more muscular shape. CLA45 with the right color combo is one sick looking car, much more performance oriented and exciting. I almost feel asleep test driving the C450, just kind of unexciting but I'm sure at some point in my life that's exactly the car I'll want.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:14 AM

Received 98 Likes on 96 Posts
C63S 2016
guys, imo the CLA is one of the worst Mercs ever it just doesn't look good to my eyes

I cant buy myself into it .. personal preferences you can say ..
Old 10-03-2016, 08:38 AM

Infiniti G37S
Most CLA's I see I don't like either but the ones with the black, white or gray cars w/ black rims, night styling package, performance seats & wheel and pano roof are sick. The interior isn't as nice but it is still better than a lot of other cars on the market. I personally don't start rubbing all the surfaces of my cars interior everything I get in it but that's just me. The C class has the sweetest interior under $100k.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:48 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
CLA45's ride quality is harsh. Enough reason to move up to C43.

I went to NYC with my friend in his CLA45, both of us felt sick after repeat driving in the city's harsh road.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:12 PM

2014 Porsche Cayman
Originally Posted by Master-Spud
Well for the maintenance side, and how Mercedes is treating them, I'd still say as a "Normal" car.

If you look at the finance rates on Mercedes Canada,

C300 or C43 1.9% interest, C63S 4.9%

Also with prepaid maintenance,

C300 or C43 $999, C63S $1599 for the same 3 year terms.
Now that the C43 is up the Mercedes USA website, I thought I'd check the lease rates.

You definitely seem to get a better deal on the C43 vs the GLA45.

I put together a 3 yr, 15K mile lease with $0 down for both vehicles.

On a $61,595 GLA45, the estimated payment is $1,059 a month.

On a $62,895 C43, the estimated payment is $902 a month.

I'll have to check with the local dealers to see what they offer in reality, but $150 a month difference in payment would definitely be enough to sway me to the C43.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:39 AM

2014 Porsche Cayman
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
The engine in noisy at highway speed as were the tires.

Interestingly, I was looking at the noise statistics from the Car & Driver tests of the C450 and GLA45 and both had the exact same noise level at 70 mph (73 db).
Old 10-23-2016, 12:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4MATIC
I just returned my CLA45 AMG and got my new C43 (probably one of the lucky ones as the production of this vehicle was pushed back to December - May delivery in Canada as I was told).

My new C43 AMG, Brilliant Blue.

I had great times with the CLA but to be honest, it was a bit uncomfortable and not designed with the best MB can offer... super fast and excellent handling, no doubt on that! About being a true AMG, well this is not precisely true. I went to AMG headquarters in Afalterbach, Germany to find out more about my car's production history and what a surprise to find that my engine was not assembled there but at Mercedes-Benz engine production plant in Kölleda, Germany. AMG technology and software, for sure but not precisely coming out of Affalterbach as claimed.

I will receive my new C43 on Tuesday, will post more pictures and even a video to share my experience... so far I love what I saw, much different than the CLA.
Declan C (10-25-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 07:21 AM

2017 CLA 45 AMG

Not sure why many if not most people hate the looks of CLA... me and my gf find the exteriors of a CLA quite beautiful. 2017 got the new facelift and wing as well. Correct me if I'm wrong but 2017 CLA prob got more of the new looks than the c43/c450. I've had this dilemma after I bought my CLA 45.. I love C interiors and the coupe version tail lights are great looking. But after learning that c43 isn't a real AMG, now I'm more happier with my CLA. I definitely prefer c63 S over CLA, but maybe in the future.. AMG GTR or S65 or something. Ima keep dreaming. I'm 27

Old 11-03-2016, 07:43 AM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
911 991 TTS, Audi RS6 C7 Performance Edition, AMG GTS
Looks awesome, congratulations on your new car!
I like the AMG version of the CLA when they are specced like yours. Personally I think the CLA looks slightly better from the rear. They are about on a par from the side, the single door look always makes the C43 look "cleaner" but the C43 needs that larger rear wheel from the C63s option to balance it out. The C43 wins the front. Overall the CLA does look the more agressive car, the C43 is perhaps a bit prettier. Just my opinion of course
Virakyuth Tha (11-04-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 11:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
BMW X5, BMW 435 Convertible
That's a beautiful car!!
Old 11-04-2016, 06:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4MATIC
Nice car, enjoy!
Old 11-04-2016, 10:26 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Porsche 981S Ferrari 328GTS MB AMG C43 Lunar Blue Sedan
Originally Posted by urenajorge
I just returned my CLA45 AMG and got my new C43 (probably one of the lucky ones as the production of this vehicle was pushed back to December - May delivery in Canada as I was told).

I will receive my new C43 on Tuesday, will post more pictures and even a video to share my experience... so far I love what I saw, much different than the CLA.
Looks great! Can't wait to see more photos.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:51 AM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
435i xDrive, C43 4Matic Coupe
Originally Posted by urenajorge

I had great times with the CLA but to be honest, it was a bit uncomfortable and not designed with the best MB can offer... super fast and excellent handling, no doubt on that! About being a true AMG, well this is not precisely true. I went to AMG headquarters in Afalterbach, Germany to find out more about my car's production history and what a surprise to find that my engine was not assembled there but at Mercedes-Benz engine production plant in Kölleda, Germany. AMG technology and software, for sure but not precisely coming out of Affalterbach as claimed.

Is this the roof of MB Thornhill?
Old 11-26-2020, 05:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by irablumberg
The answer is obvious if you drive both cars. If you value straight line performance over comfort and handling the CLA is your car. However, the CLA has significant turbo lag and understeers like a front wheel drive car. The C450/43 corners much more predictably with no significant understeer and if you didn't know it was turbo, you could not tell from driving it as there is no perceptible lag. In fact, I suspect that if you put serious tires on the C43, it would pull some much more serious Gs on the skidpad and would corner even better in the real world. The C does remarkably well with mediocre run-flats.
have you drive them hard to find out? i have glc63, it is still understeer in hard corner cuz it is heavy frontend, if i give too much power it will start oversteer... hard to put power down... it will drive more of AWD feel than RWD car. but when i look at the video of new cla45 drive hard in corner, the backend really trying to help push the car going forward! so i believe the AWD system is much better than c43
Old 11-27-2020, 10:10 PM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2020 C43, 2008 E350
Originally Posted by funkyr
I had the same dillema. I actually ordered a CLA45 but changed the order to a C43 coupe for the following reasons:

1) C43 looks better in my opinion
2) Yes the CLA45 is faster on paper 0-100kmh/0-62mph but that's mainly because of launch control. If you look at all the drag races of the CLA45 it pulls away quick but then starts to lose ground once things are going. The C43 with a bigger engine will probably be better in real world driving with more torque lower down.
3) The C class a little more refined and slightly better equipment overall vs the CLA. eg HUD display in the C43, 360 degree camera
4) V6 exhaust sound > 4 cylinder exhaust sound
5) The CLA45 is a little more 'boy racer' than the C43

Things I had to get over:
1) Slower 0-100/0-62
2) No apple car play in the C43
3) 9G tronic in the C43 vs 7DCT in the CLA45
4) No red leather line at the 12 o'clock portion of the steering wheel in the C43

Lastly the absence of the 'one man, one engine thing' for the C43 doesnt bother me at all - let's face it, it probably makes absolutely no noticeable difference to your driving experience apart from having a bling tag on your engine cover with some dude's name.
Well the 2020 C43 like mine has apple car play I think. I also have the red line in the steering wheel.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 CLS 450 | 2018 CLA 45 AMG
I think it may depend on what you are looking for. My better half loves her CLA 45. It is small, quick and easy to park. I like it because of the kick when the 4 pot comes on to boost. It is a thrill just to get that push into the seat back. It is true that the interior is somewhat lacking. However, the seats work. The steering works. I can pair my phone wirelessly and use all of my Apple music from the phone. It may not be the best sound system, but it really does OK. We drove these on the autocross track at the AMG Driving Academy. They were a hoot. They were well balanced and well suited for this experience. Unfortunately, I've not been able to track ours.

I think they are best described as a pocket rocket. They are small, nimble and fun. They are not a S Class. I do actually prefer ours to the C43. Your mileage may vary.