Questions for Canadians who ordered their cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 08:43 PM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Polar White C43 Sedan
Questions for Canadians who ordered their cars

So,

I got a call from a dealer today and they are saying I can have my specific C43 sedan configuration in an order slot they have for January, with a delivery sometime in March.

I've had the pleasure of purchasing many a new car but never ordering one.

Question for Canadians who have ordered their cars:

1. Are you locked into the deal or can you cancel?
2. Can you refuse delivery when the car comes?
3. What deposit if any did you put down?

The reason I ask is since this opportunity is fairly far out time wise I'd want to make sure if there are any issues with either the order timelines or whatnot that I can go elsewhere and not be locked into this particular deal.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:19 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
A Benz and a BMW
It really depends on the dealer and your relationship with them. My thoughts are...

1) You can indeed cancel your order at any time....you will likely forfeit your deposit though. If you have a good relationship with your dealer, they may let you transfer it to another purchase.
2) You can refuse delivery for whatever reason you want. If the car isn't to spec, you can likely get your deposit back. If your car is to spec, you will likely forfeit your deposit unless you purchase another vehicle from the dealership.
3) I can order a vehicle with a 500 dollar deposit...but I don't know how much of that is due to the fact that I have loyalty with the brand. Some dealerships refuse to take anything less than 1000 dollars for an order.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-13-2016, 09:09 AM

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
2020 C43 sedan(hers), 2021 Porsche 992 TurboS(his)
I just confirmed my very first Mercedes Benz build yesterday on a C43. I'm a new customer to the dealer also.

Wife's Lexus lease expires Feb. 1 so I need a car by then.

I'm being told my build C43 is 75% sure for Feb. 1 and 100% sure for Mar. delivery.

In the event Feb 1 does not pan out, dealer agrees to supply me with a comparable car until my car arrives.

1/ & 2/ I agree with 5ilver's comments above.

3/ They requested a $2,500 deposit to secure my build, but we agreed to settle at $500 without any fuss or muss.

I'm a happy camper!!

Last edited by 1Gunner; 11-13-2016 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Sedan
I was a new customer and Sales Rep asked for $2000 which I did not argue with but I probably could of since the wait for the car was about 2 months. I got about $1,800 rebate and I was the 2nd customer who took an early allocation for Nov but I actually got it mid October. Running gag is that I told the rep you better give me a hat or shirt for that since you gave me nothing for 2K. I got my MB AMG Petronas hat upon delivery!!! Go Lewis go

You can always refuse but ask the dealer in writing what the consequences are otherwise you will most likely lose your deposit.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:23 PM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Polar White C43 Sedan
Thanks for the feedback.

I'll see what they have to say about their process.

My big concern is being tied into a car that may not show up for 4-5 months.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:59 AM

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
I ordered my C63S from Ontario.

Your holding deposit is fully refundable until the car enters production. After that it is non refundable.

You can easily refuse the car when it arrives, but it's probably stated in the bill of sale that your deposit is forfeited in that case. However, I remember that in my contract there was a clause saying that if the car is over 2-3 months late, the deposit is fully refundable no matter what. There was also some interesting clause saying if the car arrives at the dealer but sits on the lot for too long it's also refundable for some reason?

I put down $1000 for my C63S as a holding deposit. Later on, right before the car went into production, they asked for another $2000. I gave them another $1000 instead and they were okay with that.

With that said, I was lucky since my car arrived 1 month earlier than predicted. Ordering a car is highly preferable; you know you got a car that is pristine, instead of one that sat through 24/7 of Canadian winter for 5 months and is being sold as "new".

Last edited by obbob; 11-15-2016 at 04:01 AM.