Sponsored by:

DIY -Side Mirror Cover Removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 08:25 AM

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts
2017 AMG c43 coupe
DIY -Side Mirror Cover Removal

I recently purchased some carbon fiber mirrors from RW Carbon (Great product by the way) and was frustrated by conflicting information about how to remove the mirror covers. So I decided to take on the task myself and provide a DIY for other members looking to do this. I would have done a video but it was completed at night.

First the vehicle: 2017 C43 AMG Coupe (I suspect all w205 C Class mirrors are the same).

Misconceptions: The mirror glass itself does NOT need to be removed in order to remove the mirror shell. The door does not need to be removed. No tools are needed.

The removal process:

There are tabs on the bottom of the shell where it meets the black part of the lower mirror arm. There are tabs on the inside part of the shell where it meets the black part of the mirror motor surround (near windshield). There are also tabs at the top although these cannot be pushed on until the bottom is popped out first. To start, apply firm but careful pressure from the outside and bottom part of the mirror near where the light is in the mirror housing. I just used my thumb and fingers to pull the shell off. Eventually you will hear some "pops" and you will see the cover push forward little bit at a time. Slowly work from the bottom up, and slowly from the outside of the mirror cover to the inside of the mirror cover, popping the tabs out. Do not force anything but it does take considerable pressure. Eventually you will end up with just the tabs connected on the inside of the mirror toward the window, and then you must wiggle and pull until those disconnect.

Once disconnected you will notice the driver side mirror cover is larger than passenger. I'm assuming due to auto dimming feature?

Mirror cover reinstall:

This was actually more tricky for me than the removal. You must line up the inside corner first of the mirror (towards window glass), with a sideways turn of the cover. Once that is aligned, you rotate the cover to be lined up on the bottom (Kneel down and make sure tabs on lower part of shell are aligned) and slowly slide the cover forward until all tabs "click." Note: Make sure the wire harness on the turn blinker light in the mirror shell matches the wire harness on the mirror housing or your mirror lights won't turn on.

Pictures below:
Attached Thumbnails DIY -Side Mirror Cover Removal-unnamed-1.jpg   DIY -Side Mirror Cover Removal-unnamed-2.jpg   DIY -Side Mirror Cover Removal-unnamed-3.jpg   DIY -Side Mirror Cover Removal-unnamed-4.jpg   DIY -Side Mirror Cover Removal-unnamed.jpg  

The following 2 users liked this post by W205C43AMGCoupe:
CA400 (05-16-2020), JPS114 (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 10:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 C63s Cab (DW/RP)
Had some joker at the tint shop tell me he had to disassemble the whole housing to wrap it.. I knew he was lying, said Thank you & went on my way.
I removed the kidney grills & side marks on M5 and I think i'll do the same for the carbon fiber mirrors on my 63s cab..
Old 10-17-2019, 09:57 PM

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Thanks for the DIY I'm planning to do this soon.

How has the rw carbon fiber held up since the install, any yellowing from sun exposure?
Old 05-16-2020, 11:21 AM

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts
C400
Exactly what I was looking for thank you!

Alex
Old 05-16-2020, 11:39 AM

Received 312 Likes on 237 Posts
C43
Great write-up.

Originally Posted by BayAreaAMG
How has the rw carbon fiber held up since the install, any yellowing from sun exposure?
Although not directed at me, I can report that all my RWCarbon pieces still look great after being installed for about a year (the CF mirrors included).