Sponsored by:

MSD for NY residents

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MSD for NY residents

Hello

Are New York residents able to secure lease deals with MSD (multiple security deposits) with an out of state dealership?

Thank you
Old 04-18-2017, 10:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2017 AMG C43
Originally Posted by Jason Chan
Hello

Are New York residents able to secure lease deals with MSD (multiple security deposits) with an out of state dealership?

Thank you
Not sure I understand the question and what you are trying to accomplish

Also, I shopped for cars at 2 dealerships in 2 states (NY & NJ)

Transferring license plates and sales tax issues are a PITA when you're trying to buy in one state and title/license in another in my experience

If the price is super close, save yourself the headaches and buy/lease/title/register in the state your driver license is issued in IMO
Old 04-18-2017, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by Jimmy C43

Transferring license plates and sales tax issues are a PITA when you're trying to buy in one state and title/license in another in my experience

If the price is super close, save yourself the headaches and buy/lease/title/register in the state your driver license is issued in IMO
I live in NY, bought my car CPO at a MB dealer in CT. Easy as pie... I just showed up, handed them a check, and they sent me on my way with a temp tag and said they'll do all the DMV stuff for me and I'll get my registration and plates in a couple weeks. Couple weeks later it all showed up.

It's a pretty simple process going through dealers, especially in neighboring states. Could just be this dealer also got a lot of NY customers.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy C43

MSD (lowers money factor on leases) is not allowed in NY state so I want to ask if I can go to a NJ/CT dealership for it. I know BMW dealers in NJ allows NY residents to obtain MSD but Infiniti does not. So I was wondering what Mercedes take is on this.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2017 AMG C43
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
I live in NY, bought my car CPO at a MB dealer in CT. Easy as pie... I just showed up, handed them a check, and they sent me on my way with a temp tag and said they'll do all the DMV stuff for me and I'll get my registration and plates in a couple weeks. Couple weeks later it all showed up.

It's a pretty simple process going through dealers, especially in neighboring states. Could just be this dealer also got a lot of NY customers.
My situation was my old vehicle was titled in NY with NY tags (lease turn in, but transferred the tags) if I bought in NJ the salesperson I was talking to seemed "uneasy/unsure" of how the process work

I didn't want to title the vehicle in NJ (although I have a home in both NJ & NY) and my auto insurance company was more interested in where the "garaging" address was versus where the vehicle was titled

Also, I didn't want to change insurance agents (not company, just the agent) because we are personal friends and he has a lot of my other insurance business

The vehicle is "garaged" more in NY than NJ, although I spend time at both of my addresses in any given month

The other issue is the sales tax. NY is 8%, NJ is 7% so depending where the vehicle is (either titled/garaged/insured) it could change the sales tax

For me, it was just easier to buy (lease)/insure/garage/register/title all in NY and just transfer the plates

My new registration came in the mail yesterday, I made my first payment last week and my new insurance card has been issued with the new vehicle listed

My transaction was smooth and I'm happy, although I'm sure you are correct as to the dealerships being able to assist their customers with whatever unique circumstances may apply in their particular case