Permanently Disable ECO Start/Stop System ~ HATE This Mandatory System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 01:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2017 AMG C43
Permanently Disable ECO Start/Stop System ~ HATE This Mandatory System

Almost a month into my C43 and only one feature I absolutely HATE

The ever so annoying Eco Start / Stop Mode !!

Might have found a solution though from a reputable company

https://www.midcityengineering.com/p...s-benz-eco212/

Need to see if it's available for our vehicle, I'll gladly pay $174 to never have to deal with this button again as long as I'm not voiding the warranty

IF it was only once at start-up, I could deal with it but every time you switch modes (comfort/sport/back to comfort/etc) the damn button reactivates, I end up hitting this friggin button 50 times a day

I also read in another forum that there is a 7.5 amp fuse somewhere in the trunk that if pulled out will disable the ECO Start but I would want to be sure of that as I'm not one to start disconnecting things

The 3rd possible solution I've read about is there is supposedly a second battery in the trunk somewhere that only is used for ECO Start, disconnecting this was also suggested

If anyone has successfully found a way to permanently disable this ECO Start/Stop function, please post what worked for you

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2017, 02:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 AMG C43
That ECO Start option is a real pain in the butt............the Service Foreman for a very large MB dealer here in LA told me flat out it cannot be disabled.
The following users liked this post:
Jimmy C43 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 02:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 C43 Coupe -Selenite Grey w/ PE..... 2014 Black Jaguar F-Type convertible- Sold
Agreed. I HATED this feature on my F-Type and it was the same, 2-3 button-pushing process every time I started the car up. The c43 is basically the same. It's not life and death, I get that, but it's annoying. Furthermore, I like my "Individual" mode setup, but you don't have the option to have it default the PE "on" along with your custom Individual settings. So it's....

1.Start the car
2.Rapidly hit the Dynamic switch "up" 3 times to Individual (2x for S+)
3. Wait for it to deactivate the Ecostart, then turn on the Performance Exhaust.

Now, I can't speak at all regarding options #2 and #3....I'd be skeptically curious as to their validity. I suppose the Eco start could have it's own designated fuse...but I'd be surprised if MB (or any car with Eco function) would make it that simple for customers to disengage the feature....hopefully I'm wrong.

Regarding the MidCity box...I've actually already reached out to them and started some dialogue about their product. Prompt response, see below..

"Installation is very straightforward. It involves one plug and play CAN connection on the passenger side and power / ground. There is also a switch that needs to be mounted. You can take a look at our installation manual here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...Vl6Nm5kc2o0cEE

There are two options for the C class that can be programmed by you.

-eco off on ignition
-individual mode activated on ignition

It sounds kind the second option is what you are looking for. You'll be able to set your individual settings to your preference and every time you start the car, individual mode will be turned on automatically. Please let me know if you have any questions and thank you for reaching out to us."

...I have since sent a follow up regarding slight clarifications on the yellow & white/yellow wires they refer to for C-class cars, as well as EXACTLY what settings can/can't be designated as the new "default" setting with their component installed. His response above somewhat indicates it's either C w/o Eco being on OR Individual setting...meaning Sport and Sport+ aren't options to have as your new default start-up setting. I'll share that clarity when I get it.

I'm 50/50 on this concept, but after having dealt with it for the last several years, I'd willingly spend a little money to find a safe way to deactivate the ECO function, even if it's simply by causing the car to start up in S+....which means we'd get the PE defaulted on AND the S+ perks...all in one.

I just hate now I can audibly notice 3 different exhaust notes as I go thru the motions of 1. turning car on. 2. switch to S+ or Individual, and then for the PE valves to open...makes the exhaust seem gimmicky, no bueno since the exhaust is HANDS DOWN the thing I love most about driving the car. Anyone without the PE or aftermarket exhaust or anyone looking pick up the c43 soon...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE splurge and get the exhaust. I love the car on its various other merits, but GOT DAYUM....the downshifts at lights and people's faces when they put 2 and 2 together that my somewhat unassuming car is making that melodious noise....priceless.
The following users liked this post:
Jimmy C43 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 01:21 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
G63,GT
Originally Posted by rangehound
That ECO Start option is a real pain in the butt............the Service Foreman for a very large MB dealer here in LA told me flat out it cannot be disabled.
I had it disabled in my G63. My friend had it disabled in his CLA45. Both times by Weistec when our cars were in for the tune.... so I don't see why not on the C43. FWIW... Zach from Weistec told me he had disabled as well on their 2016 C300 test vehicle.... so unless it's different on the 43, Weistec will do it for free if you get the tune installed! (Not even sure if they offer a tune for the 43 however) good luck!
Old 04-21-2017, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
When I'm driving with people, I usually drive in the default 'Comfort' mode. Most of the time I'll leave the start/stop on as it's pretty smooth and I hardly notice it's there. When we're talking or the radio is loud, I completely forget about it. Most cars I've experienced with this feature are harsh and jolting; this is the smoothest one I've encountered... But seriously, what's so hard about hitting the button to turn it off?

When I'm by myself, I drive the car in 'S+' 98% of the time so it automatically turns it off for me

Now if MidCity can make it so the car defaults to 'S+', Manual, 'Comfort' suspension setting, & Traction Control disabled, then THAT would be sweet! But I most likely wouldn't spend more than $50 for that. I've got fingers and they aint broken...

Last edited by sean1.8t; 04-21-2017 at 04:22 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by sean1.8t:
Jimmy_c63s (11-11-2019), OC6.3AMG (04-22-2017), unr1 (04-22-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 09:21 AM

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
2020 C43 sedan(hers), 2021 Porsche 992 TurboS(his)
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
When I'm driving with people, I usually drive in the default 'Comfort' mode. Most of the time I'll leave the start/stop on as it's pretty smooth and I hardly notice it's there. When we're talking or the radio is loud, I completely forget about it. Most cars I've experienced with this feature are harsh and jolting; this is the smoothest one I've encountered... But seriously, what's so hard about hitting the button to turn it off?

When I'm by myself, I drive the car in 'S+' 98% of the time so it automatically turns it off for me

Now if MidCity can make it so the car defaults to 'S+', Manual, 'Comfort' suspension setting, & Traction Control disabled, then THAT would be sweet! But I most likely wouldn't spend more than $50 for that. I've got fingers and they aint broken...

+1! Exactly, on all points!