Mercedes AMG C43 or the Audi S4?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Originally Posted by Twowheelsgood
What the Audi lacks is soul, which the C43 has in spades. What's the price differential on that?
I don't claim that one car is better than the other. I have said time and time again that they are essentially identical on paper with a long list of 'PROS' and a short list of 'CONS'. It's up to the driver to pick the car that speaks to him/her whilst driving it. So the price I would put on that is essentially priceless.

If the car you pick doesn't connect to your [carguy] soul, then what's the point?

Might as well pick a $30k cheaper Honda or Nissan. Nice comfy leather seats and powerful enough at the end of the day.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 Audi S4; 2014 Audi Q5 TDI; 2013 BMW S1000RR
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
If the car you pick doesn't connect to your [carguy] soul, then what's the point?

Might as well pick a $30k cheaper Honda or Nissan. Nice comfy leather seats and powerful enough at the end of the day.
Maybe a Golf R and save money? Or a Chevy Volt to make my wife's commute cheaper? Okay, you convinced me. Thanks for the intervention. I'll use the Audi numbers to bargain with MB.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C43
I was biased towards the Audi as I've been driving them for the past 10 years and LOVED them. And I still chose the Benz over the Audi
SAme here. My last build was a Stg3 S3, and trading in my Q5 today on my C43 sedan. Getting heat from my Audi friends, but at the end of the day Audi just can't match the fit and finish of the atmosphere MB provides.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:44 PM

G37 Coupe
I don't claim that one car is better than the other. I have said time and time again that they are essentially identical on paper with a long list of 'PROS' and a short list of 'CONS'. It's up to the driver to pick the car that speaks to him/her whilst driving it. So the price I would put on that is essentially priceless.

+1 to this. If you can't get the C43 you want right now, and the S4 doesn't speak to you, then forget about both. Don't proceed with something that is just "OK" or will "do for now" - I suspect you'll regret it every time you walk out to the car and see it, let alone drive it.

Kick the tires on something completely different - whatever that is for you. There are tons of choices/options out there - if one of them really 'clicks' with you, you'll be a happy driver for years. It's happened more than once for me in the past, when the car I was sure I wanted, just didn't do it for me, and I was surprised to find myself in something unexpected that made me smile every time I saw it and got into it.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLA45
i seem to find old Audizine members everywhere.

The thing before this new B9 model S4 is that they offered a manual.

there is more HP than the old B8. but the B8 and B9 almost look the same.

I had a B7 S4 avant, and a 335 M sport.

i like the C43 - i would drive that - would i buy that...not sure.

OP i would drive them (all), and you can make your mind.

Good luck.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
My last two vehicles were an 11' S4 and a 16' S4.. so naturally was looking at (waiting on) the B9 S4.

Timing was everything though as I had to pull trigger before end of Feb. Really just came down to the C43 and the S4 but not even a single demo landed before then. What sort of turned me off a bit from the S4 was the layout of the interior. Reminded me too much of the current 3 series. I'm sure materials are top notch though. The drive is what matters of course, in the end.

I don't necessarily regret going with the C43. I enjoy the car alot. The PE is intoxicating, fit and finish is nice (albeit squeaky.. something I didn't have in the B8 or B8.5) though the tranny is a little manic and rough compared to the DSG.

Just wish I was able properly compare them both and decide.. especially with the B9 having a ZF this time around. Also want to hear the stock exhaust (pop, crackles and all that jazz)

My SA still wants me to come take a look.. think I'll indulge. To atleast have closure.

To the OP, drive the hell out of both of them... but also do the opposite and see how they are in regular stop and go.

Felt like I left home.. but I compare to leaving to another city for College, lol. (maybe I'll be back, maybe not :P)
Old 05-19-2017, 07:40 AM

2010 Audi S4; 2014 Audi Q5 TDI; 2013 BMW S1000RR
Originally Posted by CoolCanuck
+1 to this. If you can't get the C43 you want right now, and the S4 doesn't speak to you, then forget about both. Don't proceed with something that is just "OK" or will "do for now" - I suspect you'll regret it every time you walk out to the car and see it, let alone drive it.

Kick the tires on something completely different - whatever that is for you. There are tons of choices/options out there - if one of them really 'clicks' with you, you'll be a happy driver for years. It's happened more than once for me in the past, when the car I was sure I wanted, just didn't do it for me, and I was surprised to find myself in something unexpected that made me smile every time I saw it and got into it.
All true but sadly my budget can't cover a Porsche 911 Turbo S (even a well used one) and the Caterham Seven doesn't make a good winter commuter. I might look at an ATS or CTS but the AWD versions seem like they'll mute the qualities of their RWD cousins too much. Definitely need AWD while I'm working. I briefly had a RWD Lexus IS350 that routinely got sideways in my narrow, steep driveway in winter even with dedicated snow tires.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
I wouldn't be able to get past the boring looks of the new S4...it's design is dry as gin.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 666 Likes on 524 Posts
c
a modified S4 looks just as special as a modified c43 IMO.

Stock for stock - I'd have to give it to the c43.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:36 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
C43
Wrong place

Last edited by unobtanium-inc; 08-03-2021 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:28 PM

Received 107 Likes on 91 Posts
2021 M550i
lol post is from 2017
Old 08-16-2021, 04:44 PM

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 C43, 2008 E350
Originally Posted by bikenumber99
Hi everyone,

My 2014 BMW 335i is coming towards the end of its lease and I am looking for a new sports sedan to replace it. Most obvious contenders are the BMW 340i, Mercedes C43 and the Audi S4. Given that the 340i is virtually the same car as what I have now and seeing how the interiors of the other 2 cars are right now way ahead of it, it was immediately dropped. Now, I am confused between the Mercedes AMG C43 and the Audi S4. I test drove both of them this week and liked some things about each of them. Wanted to see if anyone else has or is currently cross shopping the two and what has been their experience.

Things I liked about the C43 are the performance exhaust, the black ash wood and other interior trim materials look classy, vented seats option, the Jekyll and Hyde nature of the car over the different driving modes, and the fact that lease payments are favorable. Things I did not like include the light feeling steering wheel with a lot of free play in the center, the column mounted shifter and the lack of CarPlay option with the Command Module (the smaller 7" screen looks cheap to me).

Things I liked about the Audi S4 are the availability of a limited slip differential, fully digital virtual cockpit, integration of CarPlay with the stock MMI interface, and quality and comfort of the nappa leather S sport seats. Things I did not like include the lack of seat ventilation with the S sport seats, quieter exhaust and that lease deals are exorbitant right now.

I realize that this is an MB forum and people will be biased towards the C43, but I would love to hear if I am overlooking something. Car will primarily be my wife's daily driver and I will take over the wheel on weekend fun drives or long distance travels.

Cheers!
what do you mean by fully digital cockpit? My c43 has full digital cockpit screen.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:04 PM

Received 309 Likes on 235 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by eatmydust
what do you mean by fully digital cockpit? My c43 has full digital cockpit screen.
In 2017 when he posted this, the c43 did not have this option 😉.