C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took my c450 to the stealer

Old 07-13-2017, 05:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GLB 2023
Took my c450 to the stealer

because it kept saying check brake pad wear and the brake light kept coming on in the instrument panel. My car on has 23k miles on it and the stealer says its time to change the rear pads. From the picture it doesn't look llike it's close to changing. Are they trying to rip me off?
Attached Thumbnails Took my c450 to the stealer-20170713_082814.jpg  
Old 07-14-2017, 06:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Looks like there's plenty on meat left on those rear pads.

I would have thought the dealership would be saying the front pads would need replacing since the front pads do 70% of the braking.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:07 AM
Former Member

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts
CLS
Try another dealer.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:40 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
well, what do you expect when you go to a stealer
Old 07-14-2017, 01:48 PM

GLB 2023
The thing is if they don't need to be replaced, why does the light keep coming on? They say nothing is wrong with the sensor. Could it be the inner pads that I can't see?
Old 07-14-2017, 01:51 PM

GLB 2023
Originally Posted by MASSC450
Looks like there's plenty on meat left on those rear pads.

I would have thought the dealership would be saying the front pads would need replacing since the front pads do 70% of the braking.

That's what I thought too maybe AWD has something to do with it.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:01 PM

Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts
C450, GLS 63 and a few other things
A couple of things:

I believe the sensors are inboard (and one side only), so you probably need to look at the pad that has the sensor. Someone posted a few months ago they had the sensor light come on at only 7k miles, and it was just that one inboard pad that was low, the others were fine. It should not wear that way, but you wouldn't be the first to experience it.

Also, the brakes are now used by everything (traction control, stability control, lane keeping, 'virtual' limited slip differential, actual braking, etc.) so what pads wear first (front/rear or even side by side) will no longer follow traditional mechanisms and may be different from driver to driver. Plus they may just be biased that way as well. Remember the pads on the back are smaller, so even doing less work, they may be biased to bite more if the chosen front rear sizes didn't result in the desired braking.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'17 C43 Sedan (gone), '08 Evo X MR, '20 C43 Sedan
Each caliper should have two pads. Your picture only shows 1 pad from 1 side, so there's 3 other pads that could be low.

As z28lt1 mentioned, it's possibly only 1 pad and even only 1 pad on 1 side may have the sensor.

Check the 3 other pads and ensure there isn't one dangerously worn. It could indicate the caliper piston is stuck or some other problem.

I've seen on a couple vehicles (one which was a '11 C300) where one pad of the 4 in the rear showed extremely heavy wear, while the others were only fairly worn.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:46 PM

GLB 2023
Originally Posted by z28lt1
A couple of things:

I believe the sensors are inboard (and one side only), so you probably need to look at the pad that has the sensor. Someone posted a few months ago they had the sensor light come on at only 7k miles, and it was just that one inboard pad that was low, the others were fine. It should not wear that way, but you wouldn't be the first to experience it.

Also, the brakes are now used by everything (traction control, stability control, lane keeping, 'virtual' limited slip differential, actual braking, etc.) so what pads wear first (front/rear or even side by side) will no longer follow traditional mechanisms and may be different from driver to driver. Plus they may just be biased that way as well. Remember the pads on the back are smaller, so even doing less work, they may be biased to bite more if the chosen front rear sizes didn't result in the desired braking.
The crazy thing is I did my 20k maintenance last month and my front pads were at 7.5mm and rears were 7.0mm. I was shocked that the brake lights went on already. It seems that they did not measure the rear inner pad. Something seems wrong with just one pad being worn that fast.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'17 C43 Sedan (gone), '08 Evo X MR, '20 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by cleankutazn
The crazy thing is I did my 20k maintenance last month and my front pads were at 7.5mm and rears were 7.0mm. I was shocked that the brake lights went on already. It seems that they did not measure the rear inner pad. Something seems wrong with just one pad being worn that fast.
It's also possible it's a false alarm due to the sensor itself. Those sensors typically work by "faulting", so if the cable was somehow cut (road debris) or shorting somehow, it's possible that's why you're also getting a warning.