Oem A/S tires difference between c300 and c43

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camaro SS
Oem A/S tires difference between c300 and c43

Hi all -

C43 is in with service for a couple of days for a couple of electronic things and various rattles. In the meantime they gave me a C300 sport with the 17" all seasons.

Mainly I was curious to see how much less firm the C300 would be vs the C43 in comfort mode. It seems more compliant but not hugely so, maybe a bit softer but you certainly do still feel bumps and rock around a bit. To be honest I expected more of a difference given the extra inch of tire and the standard syspension (I'm sure this doesn't have airmatic, its pretty bare bones).

More surprising, though, was the difference in in-cabin road noise - the C300 was nearly silent! I couldn't hear the tires at all or cars around me. The tires were so quiet I questioned whether they were runflats. They are, but they are Continental ContiProContact SSR.

Is that tire different from ours- the ProContact GX SSR? Ive been considering switching to a nonrunflat for the ride quality, less noise, and longer life - maintaining winter/snow performance, but if I could get that from a run flat it would be even better. If I didn't have runflats I do have fix a flat and a portable compressor to carry but you'd still be SOL with a sidewall puncture right?

Last edited by anthq; 07-22-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by anthq
Hi all -

C43 is in with service for a couple of days for a couple of electronic things and various rattles. In the meantime they gave me a C300 sport with the 17" all seasons.

Mainly I was curious to see how much less firm the C300 would be vs the C43 in comfort mode. It seems more compliant but not hugely so, maybe a bit softer but you certainly do still feel bumps and rock around a bit. To be honest I expected more of a difference given the extra inch of tire and the standard syspension (I'm sure this doesn't have airmatic, its pretty bare bones).

More surprising, though, was the difference in in-cabin road noise - the C300 was nearly silent! I couldn't hear the tires at all or cars around me. The tires were so quiet I questioned whether they were runflats. They are, but they are Continental ContiProContact SSR.

Is that tire different from ours- the ProContact GX SSR? Ive been considering switching to a nonrunflat for the ride quality, less noise, and longer life - maintaining winter/snow performance, but if I could get that from a run flat it would be even better. If I didn't have runflats I do have fix a flat and a portable compressor to carry but you'd still be SOL with a sidewall puncture right?
Imho higher noise levels in c43 vs less powerfull versions of C class is due to the suspension and how its attached to the cabin. It feels like more firm suspension of C43 transfers more vibrations to the vehicle frame hence it more noisy. It is fine on slick asphalt, but on the roads where rocks are standing out of the surface even just a little bit vehicle has near unbearable vibration, panel rattling and road noise.
For me the problem was solved by switching to michelins PS4 and lowering the pressure by 0.1bar in all tyres relative to recomended (lowering the pressure in stock contisportcontact non runflat helped a bit but not as much as I would like).
And ofcourse aftermarket noise/vibration insulation helps quite alot. Still, even with these measures C200 with s***ty stock non runflat hankooks is a bit less noisy on non ideal road surface.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
17' C43 Sedan
Mind you, I'm coming from a CLS550 which rode amazing so comparison might not be fair.

I bought the car exactly 30 days ago and swapped the RFTs for Michelin PS4S and the difference is noticeable. It's not night and day but it helped some. I do have the optional 19's which probably does not help.

As far as cabin noise it is a tad lower on the C43 than on the CLS. Maybe due to the frameless windows on the CLS. Road noise though is higher on the C43 and that has gone down quiet a bit from the tire swap.