The M276 DELA 30 DI BI Turbo V6 Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by xgunr2017
There working on a refund minus the miles used as to the Fl Lemon Law, Takes up to 5 weeks Thats from yesterday? I do have emails from dealer telling me that an AMG Zone Expert examined it and said it was not asssembled correctly that not one of the compression rings were properly installed as well as the "Wrist Pins having too much side to side play due to wrong clips that hold them in. At the shop I picked up one of those pistons and shook it, sounded like a rattle snake, had maybe 1/8 inch play side to side as well as the Wrist pins being blue from heat. He said expert told him it was close to throwing a rod as well. My question is when I paid all that tens of thosands of dollars for that car it should of been right. My driving it and it slowely I guess loosing power till this that maybe my miles use should be reduced or eliminated? Won't lknow till I get the offer in hand. To fight it in court $2500 min. As it stands now doing the math myself according to the FL lemon law milage stuff I loose $9500. Court case can take up to 2 years to be settled. Think I will ever buy a Mercedes again? And seeing two others in that one same dealers shop being looked at for using oil, about 1 quart every 1500 miles, gee by the time your next change comes you paid for half the oil? I think if I do buy another German car I will buy one made in the USA? But lets see what they do for me. But people on this site and everywhere should know there seems to be a problem with this engine. Mercedes as you know just went thru a costly class action on there other V-6 engine with Balance shaft problems? An although stamp AMG on that engine top, these are not AMG made engines, only designed by AMG and assembled right along side the other standard Mercedes engines at thier plants, not the AMG plant where the full fledged AMG's are made. That is what I have been told, gee wish the salesman had told me that, I would of gone with the new BMW X3 M40i, maybe anyway.....I would love the board here to post a seperate forum just on Mercedes Engine failures, might be of help to future customers as to which engines seem to have a design problem or assembly problems? Thanks for everyones concerns. Lets hope no one else has to go through what I am...

Are they supplying you with a loaner while this is being sorted?

Also, it seems like they should offer either full replacement or buyback. I think there would be minimal expense for replacement whereas buyback requires the value deduction for mileage.

On the assembly issue, it's important to note that substantial portions of these engines are assembled by hand. The processes are not entirely automated. There is too much complexity in the assembly process for full automation to be cost effective.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 GLE 43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by xgunr2017
Found this new report, hits me in the gut, he is right......

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/2...glc43/preview/

I’m an owner of the 2018 GLE 43 AMG Coupe. (I know it is not the same car in the article, but similar design concept). I take the delivery last August and has been enjoying it since. I think it is a very beautiful car. After having it for almost a year, I would still turn my head and look at it when I exit the car. We also own a 2015 C300 4Matic, which my wife drives most of times. I think the article is written to be more entertaining than to offer an unbiased review. Just like washed up comedians all of a sudden want to mock Donald Trump to get noticed. I’m a car enthusiast and I browse a lot of car videos and articles, I do find Mercedes is the brand that people like to target. The line between a journalist and entertainer is very blurry now. People criticize Mercedes unfairly is either because they hold higher standards toward Mercedes products or just want to get attention. Either way, my wife and I are very happy with our cars and have become fans of Mercedes. By the way, the author in the article doesn’t mention that equally equipped Macan GTS is more expensive than GLC43 AMG. When optioning up the Macan, if not careful, it can easily cost more than GLE 43 AMG. Trust me, I do my research when I shop for my GLE Coupe.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Other than this one engine self destructing, are there any other known issues with this engine? Any intake carbon buildup issues or any other systemic issue? Thanks
Old 09-01-2018, 03:01 PM

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Other than this one engine self destructing, are there any other known issues with this engine? Any intake carbon buildup issues or any other systemic issue? Thanks
Not that I am aware of. The engine seem to be very overbuilt. Some owners here are making double the factory boost levels without any troubles from the engine.
The following 2 users liked this post by HTXgearhead:
Lazz83 (04-03-2019), superangrypenguin (09-02-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Originally Posted by HTXgearhead

Not that I am aware of. The engine seem to be very overbuilt. Some owners here are making double the factory boost levels without any troubles from the engine.
Given the reduction in sulfur in our gas in North America do you know if these engines enter lean burn stratified injection mode now?
Old 09-02-2018, 01:15 PM

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Given the reduction in sulfur in our gas in North America do you know if these engines enter lean burn stratified injection mode now?
No idea.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,522 Posts
2014 - W212 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
I was browsing again yesterday, to get to know this engine better as my pre-owned E400 uses this 3.0 liter version 245kw/333HP and its been with me
like 7-8 months now and older by 6,000KM so far. Now its is 16,000KM old.

I found the attached PDF from MB forum in UK https://f01.justanswer.com/73bbchevy...19b0_intro.pdf
This is real good info, I also attached as PDF just in case the above link gone bad.
NOTE : See page 12, turbo boost is 0.8BAR ( 11.76psi ) and not 26 psi as what others are saying.

Since I bought my 2014 E400 used and I don't follow Mercedes engine development much, M276 engine model is very confusing for me when one mentioned it merely as M276 , without full engine code number.
I think this 3 liter in 333HP version is the least discussed engine of E class W212 and its tips n trick from other users are almost non existence, unlike the normally aspirated 3.5L M276 which is plenty.

This link has good info on M276 history : https://forums.mbclub.co.uk/threads/...thread.191752/

Another confusion is , there is a M276 , BUT 3.5 liter AND bi-turbo, AND the same 245Kw/333HP.......... AND THE SAME EXACT torque of 480Nm , BUT earlier at 1,200-4,000 RPM, instead of 1,600-4,000 RPM of the 3 liter version https://www.autoevolution.com/news/m...ift-82786.html
https://www.*********.com/content.ph...b-ft-of-torque

As we know , in newer AMG C43, AMG E43 and S450 this V6 3 liter engine get its power boosted up between 362 to 396 HP and 520Nm.

I hope this engine, my 333HP version won't have any major issues, as I would like to keep it till about 2022.

NOW, USER EXPERIENCE :
I like this engine for city driving, it is nice and the low end is good even with what many people called the 7G Plus transmission as "sluggish".
I guess 480 Nm from 1,600 to 4,000 RPM is a good thing and I have no issue with 7G Plus transmission.

I have not pushed this engine real hard yet, but would do it someday, but it will be on fun-drive race circuit and not public road.

The following 2 users liked this post by S-Prihadi:
JettaRed (12-20-2021), MatthewJ (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dang... the PDF wont upload. Let me try again.........
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
m276 dela 30 - complete info.pdf (962.4 KB, 1611 views)
The following users liked this post:
KNBS550 (11-16-2021)
Old 04-03-2019, 01:57 PM

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts
'15 C400 and '15 ML350
Awesome find, thank you for sharing. Would like to know the differences year to year on the M276 DELA30, if any besides ECU changes.
Same question on the transmission between the 2015 and 2016 models. Wonder if the 9speed would direct swap into a C/E400/450?
Old 04-04-2019, 07:33 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
19 C43 Coupe, XC 60
Great find. I have still not been able to find a comprehensive source for the differences between the normal and AMGified M276es. This is a good start.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Matthew/Marcus,

I am curious too on what mods MB did to achieve those extra power where M276 3 liter gets above 333HP.
Personally I won't mod my car engine power, but I really like to know the technical stuff MB does.

Logic is , to get much extra power, one need more fuel , so injector size and turbo maybe bigger and some ECU remap.
If cooling system on 333HP is borderline, MB may up size it for higher horsepower .
I think the best source would be MB tech staff who has got training on both 333HP and higher power version.
If one has access and time to see parts list thru MB WIS/EPC, maybe from there it can be identified what new parts the higher horsepower engine uses.

As to if 7 speed and 9 speed is direct plug and play swap on C/E400/450 it is a high possibility for MB to keep things simple on at least the engine flywheel to gearbox casing mating,
but surely it is not 100% plug n play as we want to imagine, there must be some minor mounting difference somewhere.
Software could be different too to accommodate different engine power and car overall weight and not to forget Mercedes handshake/coding or whatever they call it when one install new major component on the car.

W222 S-class has got 7 speed and 9 speed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merced..._S-Class_(W222)

C200 and C250 2017 model get 9 speed while its older model get 7 speed.
https://www.carlist.my/news/review-2...inement/47438/

So it is do-able for some mod shop with good know how to do a personal swap + mod , but the question is : Is it worth it for a swap cost + its custom headache vs performance gain ?

Old 04-04-2019, 07:58 PM

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts
2015 E400 and 2015 GLK350
My guess on the transmission swap would be like so many other auto manufacturers over my (too) many years of experience -- if the same engine is used in two different years with two different transmissions, the trans will likely bolt right up to the engine. Whether the mounts will fit between the newer transmission and an older car is another question. Maybe. . . maybe not. Also, you would be responsible for all the programming needed to make things communicate. It isn't like the "old days" when we could just swap a Chevy Turbo-Hydromatic into a car that previously had a Powerglide and just bolt in some new, off-the-shelf mounts and be on our way.

In town, given the mounds of torque these engines deliver across that wide power band, you can get most of the same performance just by switching the transmission into Sport mode to stay in the lower gears. Yeah - the 9-speed may be a bit smoother, but truthfully, my 7-speed isn't a bad transmission at all.

As for the durability of the M276 DELA30 twin-turbo V6 engine, I would have no worries. Gonzo (my E400) now has about 31K miles on the clock. He sees redline at least once a day, with more than occasional hard-throttle driving. (Absolutely LOVE that truckload of torque at low speeds.) So far, not a single issue with the engine or transmission. (Shhh. . . don't let Gonzo hear me say that.) This car is loads faster than my old Lexus LS430 V8, and is about the same size, too.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

M276 3 Liter Biturbo engine users, can you help me out please..........

I notice something which does not make sense* on this engine, it is the turbo coolant system which is for reason unknown, shared with the HVAC heater.
I hope I am wrong on this, so please technical wizards on this forum ... help
* I will explain later after photos

The feed ( input ) of the coolant pipe of the turbos, comes from the back of the engine, as shown below.
The return (out) of the turbos coolant pipes are then run to the front of the engine, to meet a Tee connector

The return (out) of the turbos coolant pipes are then run to the front of the engine, to meet a Tee connector

This is where I said : *does not make sense , bear with me for full explanation.
Item 5 is the HVAC electric heater circulation pump
#1 in pink is the return ( out ) of HVAC heater ( heat exchanger ) pipe/hose into a tee which I will show in another photo.
#2 in orange are the two turbos return pipes combined into a Tee as shown on previous photo, and it join the Tee of the #5 electric pump at suction side.
So the emphasize here is, the #5 Electric heater circulation pump, has two sources of hot coolant, one being from the 2 turbos and one from the return of the HVAC heater.
#3 is the return ( out) of the engine radiator, which I don't know why position wise is 90% of the radiator height, instead being on the bottom.... this fat hose final destination
is the engine driven water pump #4. See that this fat hose has a Tee also and the Tee accept the OUTPUT of the electric heater pump.

Continue next post........................

Old 06-19-2019, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just to show clearly that there is a Tee at the suction ( inlet ) hose of the electric heater circulation pump.

================================================== =======
Holy crap... I think this forum is overloaded, I can't upload photos anymore.
I shall add more photos later when bandwith recovers

================================================== =======

The does not make sense part is this :
This M276 engine does not have the special duo valve or heater shut off valve, whatever the name is like W211, for its HVAC heater coolant flow.
I also can not find parts breakdown in EPC/WIS which show some sort of shut of valve at HVAC heater to prevent coolant flow from engine to HAVC heater heat-exchanger to electric heater circulation pump #5.
The engine coolant flow towards the HVAC heater is surely a pressurized flow, provided by the engine driven water pump. It does not make sense if there is no shut of valve at HVAC heater

Let's assume scenario AA, maybe the #5 electric heater pumps is no-flow type when impeller is not spinning, so it is being used as though as a HEATER SHUT OFF VALVE when electric pump is not running.

Now imagine this :
AA1. When the electric heater pump #5 is not running, how could the coolant of the turbos circulate ? As I see it now , it is being blocked by the #5 electric pump.
Assume when turbo gets hot and #5 electric pump starts running........ won't HVAC heater will also get hot 85 celcius coolant flowing and heat up the cabin air ?

I been digging for many hours on this forum and others, M276 3.5 NA liter too does not have heater shut off valve and M276 3 Liter Turbo, none has issue yet for their HVAC heater.
The older M272 3.5 liter heater shut off valve :
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...-200-00-31-MBZ

Maybe my cheapo eBay EPC/WIS disk are bad/corrupted and would not show M276 3 Liter Turbo on an E400 indeed has heater shut off valve

BTW, I tested the HVAC heater this morning for experiment sake and by setting temperature as HIGH, the small #5 electric pump starts and I get hot air.
What I can not test is , to get this small #5 electric pump to run for the sake of cooling the turbo.

Any suggestion guys ?

Thanks
Old 08-27-2019, 11:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 E400 4Matic, 1994 Mercedes Benz E320 Sedan (Sold), 1995 E320 Wagon (Sold)
Hi, I am sure that I cannot fully answer your question but can maybe contribute. One of the docs that a forum member sent me about this motor mentions that the little electric heater will continue to run after the car is shut off to help cool the turbos. I can confirm that that little motor does in fact keep running for a while when I get home. I don't know what to make of the lack of visible shut-off valve in the circuit.
StuttgartHorses (05-30-2022)
Old 12-12-2019, 10:39 AM

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
2004 W240 Maybach 57
Anyone have issues checking engine oil level with the dipstick in these engines? After sitting, but still warm, the dipstick comes out dry. Then re-inserting produces a normal reading.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:41 AM

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts
'15 C400 and '15 ML350
Originally Posted by SilberGrau57
Anyone have issues checking engine oil level with the dipstick in these engines? After sitting, but still warm, the dipstick comes out dry. Then re-inserting produces a normal reading.
That is the correct way to check on MB. remove. wipe. insert. remove and read.
Edit:i see you have several older MB's. so maybe not how it used to be, but that is how it has been for anything 2015+ that ive worked on.
SilberGrau57 (12-13-2019)
Old 01-03-2020, 08:46 AM

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
2004 W240 Maybach 57
This is for my '16 C207 E400 Coupe: Anyone DIY their oil changes? Can you draw the oil out from the top through the dipstick tube? What is the correct oil filter? Thanks in advance...
Old 03-08-2020, 06:35 PM

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500
Has anyone upgraded the chargecooler or heat exchanger for the chargecooler? To keep IATs down on mapped car especially, after repeated runs. Even in a cool climate you can feel the heat coming from the engine bay when you're on it.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:35 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV
Originally Posted by unr1
are they really sequential?
No they are not sequential, it is a typical twin turbo system
Old 01-03-2021, 02:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 C300 4Matic
I keep seeing conflicting information about this version of the M276. Are the internals forged in the C43 engines?
I'm asking because Weistec offers a turbo upgrade that puts the output of the car at 540hp and 570ftlbs of torque, but if the pistons and rods are not forged it'll just snap everything.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:00 PM

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500
Originally Posted by m1l3n
I keep seeing conflicting information about this version of the M276. Are the internals forged in the C43 engines?
I'm asking because Weistec offers a turbo upgrade that puts the output of the car at 540hp and 570ftlbs of torque, but if the pistons and rods are not forged it'll just snap everything.
I found a reliable source that stated the Pistons are forged, but the rods are cast. As a its basically a regular production Mercedes engine, this is not surprising.
However many owners are running over 550 or even near 600 lb ft torque with no issues.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:27 AM

Received 82 Likes on 36 Posts
'17 C43 AMG [Stage 1+]
You can push that kind of power or similar on stock turbos without even completely maxing them out as far as we currently know.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by 5ynatra
You can push that kind of power or similar on stock turbos without even completely maxing them out as far as we currently know.
Stock internals handle 550hp/torque? How many people have reached that mark? From what I was reading EC/JB4 tunes and piggyback only bring the car up to the 450's range.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:26 AM

Received 82 Likes on 36 Posts
'17 C43 AMG [Stage 1+]
Stock internals handle 550hp/torque? How many people have reached that mark? From what I was reading EC/JB4 tunes and piggyback only bring the car up to the 450's range.
I'm about doing that much, been tuned for about 9K miles and I have 48K miles on the dash.

None of the off the shelf tunes actually utilize the actual potential of the stock turbos, but I'm sure the reason for that is just the fact that not many have tried pushing it and so they'll be semi-conservative with the target PSI these tunes hit so they don't end up messing people's motors up. I have the AMR handheld tune with a jb4 on top to add a little bit more boost to the target PSI (and it controls meth for cooling)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: The M276 DELA 30 DI BI Turbo V6 Thread