Sponsored by:

Squealing Brakes Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 05:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C450
Squealing Brakes Advice Needed

My C450 has had squealing brakes ever since it got warm outside. It happens when slowing down at a red light or stop sign.

Last month my dealer replaced all of my brake pads under warranty. The squealing still happened.

Beginning of of last week they replaced all four rotors under warranty. The noise is still there now.

Is there any remedy for this? I feel like the deAler did all of the big things. What should they do next?!
Old 07-31-2017, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
Grease the rotors????
The following users liked this post:
Star4life (09-13-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 10:04 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S
This is a well known and common issue. If you search the forum (and the W205 forum) you'll find numerous threads and posts on the topic. Some people have gone down months-long rabbit holes with their dealers trying to resolve via several different parts replacements/repairs. I think some of those people had some success quieting the brakes and some didn't.

In the end, performance brakes simply squeal more than regular brakes. There is a higher concentration of metal in the pads which tends to create more vibration than lower end semi-metallic brake pads. There are a couple of Ferraris in my condo building and you can hear those coming from several streets away (exhaust obviously, but also brakes) due to slowing down for a few speed bumps and a stop sign. Those things squeal like crazy.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C450
So thus far:

1. Had pads replaced
2. Had rotors replaced
3. They shaved down some of the pads? HUH?!

Now they tell me there is nothing else they can do. They told me its something I just have to live with.

It is kind of embarrassing to sound like a school bus whenever I come to a stop at a red light.

Escalating this with MB Corporate. Something tells me this will be a huge pain.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 206 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
people who have bought this have never had performance brakes. if you have ever been to a track and hear the hawk pads squeel you know what i am talking about. you should have bought a c300 4 matic if you wanted complete luxury. this c450/43 is still luxury daily but with some compromises ie. stiffer suspension, sometimes squeely brakes, firmer shifts, louder exhaust, etc) a lot of the complaints i see about this car are performance related, if you wanted a comfy ride get a c300 on airmatic or even the regular ride. this is more performance oriented car than comfortable but more most like me who was used to a stiff ride, this car does great, especially with different tires.

i took my car to the track, had the brakes somokin, and they seem to be louder than before. but its also getting colder here in Michigan. maybe you all need to lighten up on brake use. escalating to mb is giving them the wrong impression.

We have all wanted bigger brakes on our cars. now they finally start giving them to the other trims than the c63 and now we have people escalating and complaining. please just trade in for a c300 with non sport brakes or swap pads to ceramic and sacrifice stopping power in exchange for noise and lower dust. or get some porterfield r4s pads if you want to really see how hot you can get the rotors.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:50 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Saab 900 SET
Did you properly "bed" the brakes upon delivery of the car? Ten (fast) stops from about 75 to 25 mph with a few minutes of cooling in between will "bed" the pads and allow for some glaze to adhere to the rotor? You do this with all new cars and when installing new pads!
The following users liked this post:
Mustafoinc (10-15-2019)