Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harsh shift in low gear?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C450 AMG
For the harsh downshift have you tried the shift adaptation reset procedure? If was mentioned above that the dealer tried it but is seems a common issue with a DIY fix.

http://www.mercedesmedic.com/reset-m...-instructions/

The pedal pictures are obviously wrong but the procedure worked on my C450
Old 01-16-2019, 05:05 PM

Received 149 Likes on 93 Posts
GTC, C43 coupe, GLC 300
Originally Posted by hhcheng23
I bought the C43 back in Apr 2017 and experience the rocking back and forth and harsh low gear downshift since day1. I tried to live with it and adjust may way of driving to accommodate the "special character" of my C43. Not until one day, I test-drove a new 2018 C43, I definitely can feel the difference. It was shifting way smoother than mine, so I determine to bring this issue to dealership. Lead technician admitted my car's behavior was not normal, but with multiple attempts in four months they could not fix it. I ended up contacted mbusa and they agreed to buyback and refund what I paid for when I purchase the car.
From what I was told, dealer reset the tranny adaptation, replace valve body, this and that, and even the transmission itself but harsh shift still persist.
Thats really interesting. As Cosworth mentioned, this is unheard of here in Canada and my family has owned many luxury cars (granted Ive never had your issues or tried to get a refund on a 2 year old car). Thanks for the response! Do you (or anyone) know if they've fixed this issue for the 2019 coupe? I couldn't even test drive a 2019 before ordering because they weren't on dealer lots.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by 3.Pointed.Czar
Do you (or anyone) know if they've fixed this issue for the 2019 coupe? I couldn't even test drive a 2019 before ordering because they weren't on dealer lots.
What hhcheng described was an isolated issue specific to his vehicle. What is there to fix for a 2019 model?
Old 02-27-2020, 07:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
c43
I just joined and two months ago got myself a 2018 C43.
The only problem I have is when the car is in Sports+ and D (automatic gear shift) is selected.
When approaching a stop, feet fully off the accelerator and increasing pressure on the brake pedal. Car changes gear automatically and the automatic downshifting from 2 to 1 seems to occurred before car comes to a complete stop (at this point speed is well below 5km/h). Resulting in me hearing this "cluck" and feel a noticeable jolt.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe (2017)
Originally Posted by Cowboy11
I just joined and two months ago got myself a 2018 C43.
The only problem I have is when the car is in Sports+ and D (automatic gear shift) is selected.
When approaching a stop, feet fully off the accelerator and increasing pressure on the brake pedal. Car changes gear automatically and the automatic downshifting from 2 to 1 seems to occurred before car comes to a complete stop (at this point speed is well below 5km/h). Resulting in me hearing this "cluck" and feel a noticeable jolt.
My dad purchased a 2018 GLC43 and he had this very aggressive rocking in first gear that everyone talks about. The dealer performed an engine and transmission software update which has helped reduce the frequency and I do think the transmission is smoother as a result. HOWEVER, I have noticed a significant change in the sound of his performance exhaust. Upon start up and even while driving, it is much quieter and less aggressive than it was before the engine and transmission update. Others have mentioned they have experienced the same. Luckily, my dad doesn't really care so much about the sound... and it's honestly probably better as his car is still loud when he leaves at 5:30am...

I recently bought a 2017 C43 coupe, also with the PE, and it is much louder, but I have not had any software updates done to the engine or transmission. I doubt the previous owner who had it on lease did either as it is still a rather unsmooth ride in my opinion (clunks/drops from 2nd to 1st), but I will not sacrifice the amazing sound for a little roughness. I tried to explain all this to the dealer when I brought my car in, asking them to not do any engine or tranny updates without my permission as I was afraid of losing the aggressive sound, and they thought I was crazy in a nutshell... I had a 2020 (or maybe 21) C300 rental and that thing was buttery smooth, but it was not nearly exciting as my car.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:01 PM

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
C43 2017
I find that the when coming to a stop in sports+....IF I want a higher rpm and a more agressive downshift munipulating the brakes ..( brake later and harder just before the down shift) certainly affects the sound and the severity of the downshift.