Sponsored by:

PPF & Ceramic coat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 08:42 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 Audi Q5 3.0T, 2018 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
See, that's the biggest of the benefits. This is especially for brand new cars that are wrapped from the start, but you get to preserve the paint in mint condition, but also you get to preserve the original paint which is a HUGE selling point for the next buyer.

And you just made me think of something. You're last sentence there kind of solves itself. The $5-10k wraps are amazing. Even though they will last forever if maintained properly, doesn't seem that most people keep them on for more than a year or two. So I figure, what are the prices for the cheap ones that only last a year or two? Maybe not an entire car for as low as $600 but I bet there's places out there that are in the $1,000 area. So who cares of it's going to start peeling after a year, it breaks down quicker, or it's not a durable? When it starts to look like **** in a year, then great! New cheap wrap time
I don’t think I can buy into the “original paint” thing. Since we’re not taking about collector cars, I’m inclined to believe people just want paint that looks good. If buying a used car I’ve never thought, “I hope this is original paint”, and I’ve never had anyone ask me if the car I was selling had it’s origonal paint. Basically, the car needs to look the price it’s being sold for. So, if I can repaint a car (or specific parts) for cheaper than a wrap, that’s what I would elect to do.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Originally Posted by Mecca
I don’t think I can buy into the “original paint” thing. Since we’re not taking about collector cars, I’m inclined to believe people just want paint that looks good. If buying a used car I’ve never thought, “I hope this is original paint”, and I’ve never had anyone ask me if the car I was selling had it’s origonal paint. Basically, the car needs to look the price it’s being sold for. So, if I can repaint a car (or specific parts) for cheaper than a wrap, that’s what I would elect to do.
So you wouldn't consider it giving you huge peace of mind to know that the paint is going to last compared to having someone have it repainted just before selling it and not knowing the quality? Not knowing if the clear coat is going to go to **** after a couple years? Maybe it's just me but I would be much more inclined to buy a car with mint condition original paint rather than one with mint condition re-spray.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:17 AM

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
2016 c450 / 2016 VW Jetta 1.8t / 2006 Wrangler X
I have a few detailer friends who do ceramic coatings and they are out of their minds with what they charge. Especially considering how good you can make a car look when you know what you're doing. I understand the product itself is expensive, but you can get your car professionally detailed weekly to maintain the paint for less money.
FWIW, I only hate the idea of wrapping a car to protect the paint. I'm the kind of guy who doesn't use a case on his phone. Google spent a lot of time making it look like this, why would I wrap it in plastic? Will it pick up dings and scratches? YES, THEYRE MINE AND I EARNED THEM. But then again, I lease and the car is only my problem for 36-48 months.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:36 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 C43 Coupe
Obviously If you’re leasing you wouldn’t spend thousands to protect the paint, idk why that’s even mentioned. This is for people like me who bought their cars and want them looking the best, preventing rock chips and with ceramic making washing the car much easier. IMO if I spent $75k on a car what’s another $3k-$4k to make sure my car looks better and easier to maintain. No brainer.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:26 AM

So you wouldn't consider it giving you huge peace of mind to know that the paint is going to last compared to having someone have it repainted just before selling it and not knowing the quality? Not knowing if the clear coat is going to go to **** after a couple years? Maybe it's just me but I would be much more inclined to buy a car with mint condition original paint rather than one with mint condition re-spray.
never once have I worried about a bad paint job. If I show up to a car and the paint looks like crap, I’ll move on. But, if the paint looks good, it probably is. Sure, it could be a problem...but having a wrap doesn’t mean that the car doesn’t have a problem.

Most importantly, I wouldn’t pay a premium because the car has a protective wrap, and I doubt the market would either. Two cars speced the same selling for $46k and $50k respectively. Only diff is the $50k has a protective wrap...I bet that car sits for a lot longer and ultimately drops its price because most wont see the value in the wrap.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLC 300 4matic
The thing is I keep my car as long as it’s still running. I don’t plan on selling it. My dilemma now is since I only spent $300 to do the front part of my hood, & it’s only been a couple of weeks that it’s been on, maybe paint won’t be damaged (I Hope) I’m thinking of taking the clear paint protection off. I don’t like the idea of seeing this line on the front of the hood. Thought of bringing it back to the place that did it and ask him to take it off, but I’m sure he will try to ask me why and convince me to leave it on. I just want to see my hood clear of lines that was not really meant to be there. It’s kind of like seeing someone put a cover on their nice leather seats to keep it clean &/or maybe to keep it pristine looking, but what’s the point if you can’t see it. I guess in this case since it’s clear, you can see it but all I see is this plastic line. Has anyone ever seen someone put plastic cover on their furniture/couch (I’ve only seen this on tv), this is what it makes me feel like what I’m doing to my car.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by cenzo86
FWIW, I only hate the idea of wrapping a car to protect the paint. I'm the kind of guy who doesn't use a case on his phone. Google spent a lot of time making it look like this, why would I wrap it in plastic? Will it pick up dings and scratches? YES, THEYRE MINE AND I EARNED THEM. But then again, I lease and the car is only my problem for 36-48 months.
This!
Old 12-01-2017, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
never once have I worried about a bad paint job. If I show up to a car and the paint looks like crap, I’ll move on. But, if the paint looks good, it probably is. Sure, it could be a problem...but having a wrap doesn’t mean that the car doesn’t have a problem.

Most importantly, I wouldn’t pay a premium because the car has a protective wrap, and I doubt the market would either. Two cars speced the same selling for $46k and $50k respectively. Only diff is the $50k has a protective wrap...I bet that car sits for a lot longer and ultimately drops its price because most wont see the value in the wrap.
LOL, 'white people problem arguments'

Agree to disagree?
Old 12-01-2017, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
This!
Okay, but last thought as I didn't see his comment.

But people don't wrap their car to protect it's paint. They wrap the car to change the color, or majority of the time, to give it a crazy graphic design that would either be almost impossible to replicate with paint, or cost $40k to do so. The protection is just an added benefit.

When you are wanting to protect the paint, as in you did a $15k 'paint to sample' option on your Porsche, you probably don't want to cover that sweet looking paint job up with a wrap. You do a clear PPF.

Either way, when you have a car you care about, or one that would command $20k from a shop to re-spray it, you cover it with something. Almost no $200+k car out there is naked these days like they were 10 years and prior.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:13 AM

Okay, but last thought as I didn't see his comment.

But people don't wrap their car to protect it's paint. They wrap the car to change the color, or majority of the time, to give it a crazy graphic design that would either be almost impossible to replicate with paint, or cost $40k to do so. The protection is just an added benefit.

When you are wanting to protect the paint, as in you did a $15k 'paint to sample' option on your Porsche, you probably don't want to cover that sweet looking paint job up with a wrap. You do a clear PPF.

Either way, when you have a car you care about, or one that would command $20k from a shop to re-spray it, you cover it with something. Almost no $200+k car out there is naked these days like they were 10 years and prior.
clear ppf (ie xpel) is what I mean by wrap for paint protection. I’m okay with a wrap to chance appearance...no issues with that. I just have difficulty seeing the value in paint protection film.

But yea, we can leave it alone as you suggested earlier.
Cheers!!
Old 12-02-2017, 02:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
clear ppf (ie xpel) is what I mean by wrap for paint protection. I’m okay with a wrap to chance appearance...no issues with that. I just have difficulty seeing the value in paint protection film.

But yea, we can leave it alone as you suggested earlier.
Cheers!!
Ahh, okay. That makes a bit more sense then. Ya, the lingo I'm aware of is 'Wrap' is PPF with the aesthetic purpose. For clear protection, it's just referred as 'PPF'.

Ya, it's crazy to PPF you entire $30-100k car. Maybe if you have the mega expensive PTS option on your Carrera, but other than that, just do the front bumper and maybe hood/fenders. I would have done it on this car if I purchased, but not going to spend unnecessary money on a lease when I'm not planning on buying out. But if we're talking about my Lambo or McLaren? Ya.....I'm definitely PPF'ing everything that can possibly be PPF'd.

That's why they can charge those prices you are stunned by. The market supports it. Normal people that care about rock chips will find $1,000 to do a partial front end. But the main customers are bringing in their 6 and 7 figure cars, and they almost always have more than one. So you'd be a pretty big a** hole to complain about $8,000 for a quality job. It's quite a lot of work and skill required to do it right. In fact, these are the instances when you prefer to go with the shop that charges more than the others for applying the same product.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:27 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Porsche 981S Ferrari 328GTS MB AMG C43 Lunar Blue Sedan
Originally Posted by FinallyOwnMerz2K18
The thing is I keep my car as long as it’s still running. I don’t plan on selling it. My dilemma now is since I only spent $300 to do the front part of my hood, & it’s only been a couple of weeks that it’s been on, maybe paint won’t be damaged (I Hope) I’m thinking of taking the clear paint protection off. I don’t like the idea of seeing this line on the front of the hood. Thought of bringing it back to the place that did it and ask him to take it off, but I’m sure he will try to ask me why and convince me to leave it on. I just want to see my hood clear of lines that was not really meant to be there. It’s kind of like seeing someone put a cover on their nice leather seats to keep it clean &/or maybe to keep it pristine looking, but what’s the point if you can’t see it. I guess in this case since it’s clear, you can see it but all I see is this plastic line. Has anyone ever seen someone put plastic cover on their furniture/couch (I’ve only seen this on tv), this is what it makes me feel like what I’m doing to my car.
If you keep your car a long time, a half hood clear bra isn't worth having. Years ago when clear bras were fairly new and you could only buy kits that came half way up the hood and fenders we did it on my wife's C320. It was ok for the first 2 or 3 years but at about 4+ years you notice numerous stones have hit and and chipped the upper surface of the hood. So you have the lower section that is protected and looks fine and the upper section looks like sh*t. I'd either do the entire front end and fenders up to the front door openings, or nothing at all. We order our cars the way we want them and we keep them a long time, so we have do the full front ends, rocker panels and behind the rear wheels of our cars. Depending on the vehicle (the Porsche is smaller so less material), it has cost us $2,500 to $3,200. Its not for everyone, and if we leased cars I wouldn't bother. However, I hate chips and scratches and if I'm going to keep a car 10 years (maybe more), I might as well protect it and enjoy it looking its best. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:39 AM

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
If you are only going to do one option, then do the PPF on the front of your car. PPF is protection against physical damage, which is often the most expensive and difficult to fix.
On the other hand, ceramic coatings protect against chemical damage like bird droppings, as well as enhancing gloss and making cleaning the car alot easier. They offer almost ZERO protection against physical damage.

My C63S only got ceramic coated with Cquartz finest and it has a ton of noticeable stone chips on the front.
My 458 Speciale has a full PPF on the entire car, with GTechniq Crystal Serum ceramic coating on top of that. True, the wrap itself does not add much value. However, it prevents the big reduction to value caused by rock chips scattered throughout your paint. The more expensive the car, the more the buyers will be nitpicky about paint damage, so the more valuable it is to protect it.

Finally, you definitely do NOT want to have to repaint your vehicle if possible. Factory paint jobs will always be superior because they paint the car when it is just the metal chassis, allowing them to bake the paint at extremely high temperatures. They can't do this on an assembled car because the trim pieces, interior, and electronics will just get roasted. This is why aftermarket paint is always alot weaker and softer. This adds further pain when you go to protect it with a PPF, since the eventual removal of the film has a higher chance of stripping some paint with it too!

Last edited by obbob; 12-03-2017 at 02:46 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by munis
In terms of coating, I think the general consensus is cquartz> Opticoat> Ceramic pro. The main differentiating factor is the prep work for any kind of coating. In my observation, go to someone who is an installer for cquartz finest reserve. Car pro really does hold them to really high standards.
Hi there!

I am in the market for a PPF and ceramic coat for my brand new 2019 c43 coupe in selenite grey metallic (Toronto, ON).

Can you point me in the right direction here? Any shops you would recommend? Anything to watch out for? How much I can expect to be quoted?

Thanks a bunch in advance and hope your new year is off to a great start!
Old 01-01-2019, 02:02 PM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
Haha, I was in the same position but the added cost and having any lines or distortion of the oem paint (PPF) has me reconsidering it for almost a year!
Old 01-16-2019, 02:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 Acura MDX
Suntek

I went with Suntek on my new GLC 63. All are good films and my installer uses all of them but says Suntek has less blemishes. I used the number 1 dealer in Baltimore/Wagington for complete coverage and ceramic coating (including the wheels).. Paid less than $5,000 with lifetime warranty. Parabolical Autosports in Columbia, MD. They know there stuff and great to work with.