Do I need winter wheels/tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 09:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
Do I need winter wheels/tires?

Hi all!

I recently purchased a C43 4matic Coupe with all-season tires. Debating whether I need to purchase some winter tires/wheels.

I live in Massachusetts where we get plenty of snow and live in a fairly rural section of town. I used to get into all sorts of trouble (stuck on hills, slide into snowbanks) with my RWD Caddy STS and had NO shot of driving in the snow with the all-seasons. I had to use winter tires (and even then I struggled).

Will it be a similar experience with the C43? I see there are some threads on winter tires, but in those cases the poster opted for the summer tires. I'm happy to make the investment if it's worth it.

If I should make the investment, any suggestions on where to buy? I took a look at tiretrack where I typically buy these things, but most of their wheel selections were pretty ugly. Would prefer something mostly black like the current rims I have.

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2017, 09:32 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 CLS550
Originally Posted by leojhartiv
Hi all!

I recently purchased a C43 4matic Coupe with all-season tires. Debating whether I need to purchase some winter tires/wheels.

I live in Massachusetts where we get plenty of snow and live in a fairly rural section of town. I used to get into all sorts of trouble (stuck on hills, slide into snowbanks) with my RWD Caddy STS and had NO shot of driving in the snow with the all-seasons. I had to use winter tires (and even then I struggled).

Will it be a similar experience with the C43? I see there are some threads on winter tires, but in those cases the poster opted for the summer tires. I'm happy to make the investment if it's worth it.

If I should make the investment, any suggestions on where to buy? I took a look at tiretrack where I typically buy these things, but most of their wheel selections were pretty ugly. Would prefer something mostly black like the current rims I have.

Thanks!
Yes, get winter tires. Put up with the ugly wheels for the 2 or 3 months you leave them on. All season tires should be called 3 season tires - they are not meant to replace snow tires.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Porsche 981S Ferrari 328GTS MB AMG C43 Lunar Blue Sedan
We went with the C43 sedan and it came with all season Conti tires, which I'm not terribly impressed with in everyday driving. We also live in New England and we are going to get a set of snow tires and winter wheels, as it will make a big difference in bad weather.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 BMW 435 M-Performance
Winter tires on my FWD perform between than any SUV I ever owned with All Seasons. You will not regret winter tires.

I have a set of 18" aftermarket wheels with Pirelli tires (used less than 3k miles) for sale. they should fit the C43 as well.