Need Pads & Rotors Already?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 10:03 AM

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts
17' C43 Coupe
Need Pads & Rotors Already?

Hey Guys,

Hoping you can help me out here. The past 2 days i notice that at slow speeds my brakes are squeaking. First i thought it would be brake dust clogged up in there since i haven't had a chance to wash the car in 2 weeks. But after hosing the rotors down the squeaking is still there. So, my question to you is do i need to buy front rotors and pads or just the pads? FYI the car has 13,1xx miles on it. First year of ownership. Also there is a lip on the edge of the rotor so i can only assume i will need new rotors. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you all know of any MB discounted websites that would be great. Thanks, Shazar.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 676 Likes on 533 Posts
c
I'm probably one of the more high mileage cars on the site at ~25k, no issues with brakes so far.

Squeaking brakes are not indicative of needing to be replaced. The colder weather this time of year can induce it and I've heard it randomly here and there. Only 3k miles ago you had your first service, did they report on pad depth/wear in that report? Otherwise, dealer should be able to check without diagnostic fee due to your concerns of the noise - just pre-negotiate that before assuming, if you do end up going to the dealer to check.

I've only seen one other guy having issues on the site before 20k miles with brakes. Not sure if you've done a track day, but that would be the only way I could see premature wear like you are, possibly, describing.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:45 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,400 Likes on 2,845 Posts
2012 CLS63
Dang that's not many miles.....I have over 40 on my AMG and the brakes are GOOD.......over 35K on my S and the brakes are fine.......are they defective or do you brake like the devil?
Old 12-14-2017, 10:46 AM

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts
17' C43 Coupe
Honestly, i do not brake that much and i engine brake mostly (M Mode in Sport +) once the car temps are warm. I went to the quarter mile track like 3 times and in that 3 times did approximately 15-20 runs total and that's about it for track usage. I did go to my dealer for the first service and no mention of the brakes. I think i will just take the wheels off myself and see how they look. I am sure the cold weather has something to play with here. I appreciate you two feedback.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by hyperion667
Dang that's not many miles.....I have over 40 on my AMG and the brakes are GOOD.......over 35K on my S and the brakes are fine.......are they defective or do you brake like the devil?
^ Lol. Good to hear someone not having to change em at 10 because that's ridiculous.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 Mercedes C43 AMG
Warning Message

First year of ownership on my 17 c43 aug coupe, and the other day i get a message stating "check brake pad wear" I see the earlier messages and I'm not so concerned about the noise up until I got the message. I would be pretty upset if I had to change out rotors or pads after only 13k miles on the vehicle.
I have never taken the car to the track although I would say I drive fairly spirited but I do not hammer the brakes unless I'm coming down from 100+ but even so I ease onto them.

Any insight on what to do, if I have to change well ill bite the bullet and hope I can find a good site with discounted parts.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:31 PM

Received 176 Likes on 104 Posts
2020 GLC 63
A few drag runs should not effect your brakes. Best way is look at the pad material vs. the backing plate. When doing track days and the pad material is down to 1/2 the thickens of the backing plate, it's time to replace the pads. On the street, you can go a little more, see below...

The one up is on the metal and should've been replaced 2-3k miles ago.
The second one is good for the street, but on the track, it should be replaced soon.
The 3rd is as far as I'd go on the street.
When you look at them, look at both, the inner and outer pad, as they might not be worn-out evenly.
This is just an example, street pads should not be baked like this.

This is what they looked like new

And that was after 8 (30 minutes) sessions of 1 HPDE day with PCA (below). Luckily, I had a 2nd set for the next day.