Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PE exhaust AND Resonator Delete?

Old 02-09-2018, 01:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
PE exhaust AND Resonator Delete?

Hey guys.

I picked up my C43 last month and have been loving it. However, I wish the PE was slightly louder - especially on startups. Has anyone taken off the resonator with the PE? Would I lose any performance in doing so?
Old 02-09-2018, 01:03 PM

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
2009 C230
If you want louder on start-up, just get this. 2 minutes to install and keeps the exhaust valves open 100% of the time
with one of the settings.
http://asr-component.de/home/51-klap...erung-rx1.html
Old 02-09-2018, 02:53 PM

C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by CClement
If you want louder on start-up, just get this. 2 minutes to install and keeps the exhaust valves open 100% of the time
with one of the settings.
http://asr-component.de/home/51-klap...erung-rx1.html
I am looking for it to be louder overall - not just on startup. I got quoted for a resonator delete at something like $80. Super cheap.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Removing the resonator is the cheapest and easiest route for going louder. But it's also the best way to increase drone. And with these transmissions, you'll be hating freeway driving in no time as 75-80mph is right at the drone sweet spot of 2000rpms. Resonators aren't as much mufflers as they are 'drone reducers' so you will get a louder exhaust as you're removing a flow restriction but it's not the best way to go about it as that isn't the resonator's designed purpose.

Best way to go is remove the other restrictions. Mufflers are already valved so it goes without saying, keep those as is. Then the last option is the cats, which will give you a much higher increase in sound than removing the resonator, but it'll also benefit you with performance; much more so if you get the proper stage2 software with it, but still enough to notice if you keep the car stock (which does require o2 sensor modification to trick the stock ECU into thinking the cats are still there - but that's another conversation). Or maybe someone has come out with high flow cats/race cats for our cars now? I haven't been paying attention lately so I'm not sure to be honest.... I'd bet that the noise increase from removing the resonator would be pretty much equal to what you'd get from putting in high flow cats. And not only would you maintain a deeper and more mature tone that way (drone and raspiness go hand-in-hand, so the exhaust will get more raspy without the resonator) but you won't increase drone by much.

TL;DR - Get _______ company's stage 2 software and Weistec downpipes. I know that's much more expensive than "super cheap $80" but when you're driving a $70k car, you don't cheap out on this stuff. Honda guy's cut out resonators....What's next, we gonna start cutting our springs?
The following 2 users liked this post by sean1.8t:
AMG C43 3LV6 (11-08-2018), jake732 (02-13-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 11:51 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
I'd do high Flo cats or catless downpipes, That'll be my next mod on this car. Not only is it worth for the sound upgrade but you do get a few ponies from either of those two and you'll get more once you tune it.
Resonator delete isnt a bad idea either but drone will get old, idk how bad drone is on these cars but i've had resonated/straight piped cars before and im never doing that again.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:16 AM

Received 132 Likes on 112 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Brilliant Blue Metallic
I have the ASR and with the valves open there is MAJOR drone at lower RPMs.

There for I would not recommend cutting out res, I cant imagine how bad that would be on day to day drives.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:11 PM

C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
Removing the resonator is the cheapest and easiest route for going louder. But it's also the best way to increase drone. And with these transmissions, you'll be hating freeway driving in no time as 75-80mph is right at the drone sweet spot of 2000rpms. Resonators aren't as much mufflers as they are 'drone reducers' so you will get a louder exhaust as you're removing a flow restriction but it's not the best way to go about it as that isn't the resonator's designed purpose.

Best way to go is remove the other restrictions. Mufflers are already valved so it goes without saying, keep those as is. Then the last option is the cats, which will give you a much higher increase in sound than removing the resonator, but it'll also benefit you with performance; much more so if you get the proper stage2 software with it, but still enough to notice if you keep the car stock (which does require o2 sensor modification to trick the stock ECU into thinking the cats are still there - but that's another conversation). Or maybe someone has come out with high flow cats/race cats for our cars now? I haven't been paying attention lately so I'm not sure to be honest.... I'd bet that the noise increase from removing the resonator would be pretty much equal to what you'd get from putting in high flow cats. And not only would you maintain a deeper and more mature tone that way (drone and raspiness go hand-in-hand, so the exhaust will get more raspy without the resonator) but you won't increase drone by much.

TL;DR - Get _______ company's stage 2 software and Weistec downpipes. I know that's much more expensive than "super cheap $80" but when you're driving a $70k car, you don't cheap out on this stuff. Honda guy's cut out resonators....What's next, we gonna start cutting our springs?

Thank you so much for the response - I appreciate you taking the time to explain that!
Old 02-14-2018, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
Originally Posted by jake732
Thank you so much for the response - I appreciate you taking the time to explain that!
For sure, man, you're welcome.

I chuckled a bit when I read the guy's post right after mine as he said the same thing but with 1/10th of the words. I wish I could have the ability to answer questions like that but I can't; I can't leave out the details. Luckily I'm a fast typer haha! So thanks for letting me know the details are appreciated
Old 02-14-2018, 09:41 AM

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
2009 C230
Hey guys, with the downpipes, what is the process in terms of the O2 sensors not throwing codes? Sorry, new to exhaust mods.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
Originally Posted by CClement
Hey guys, with the downpipes, what is the process in terms of the O2 sensors not throwing codes? Sorry, new to exhaust mods.
The best way to remove the cats without tripping the CEL is to have the ECU tuned specifically to bypass the o2 sensors. The car won't pass visual inspection (shops vary in how thorough they are in their visual check) for emissions but it will pass the OBD scan, which is the most important part.

The other option is to use what is called a 'defouler' (basically a spacer that moves the rear o2 sensors further away and out of the direct stream of exhaust flow in hopes to stay under the sensors's threshold for throwing codes. All the same as a tune goes in regards to passing emissions, but this isn't as ideal as you aren't taking full advantage of removing the main restriction in the exhaust like you would with aftermarket ECU software that was tuned specifically for no cats.

But I dunno, my knowledge is mostly from ~10 years ago. Maybe todays tech and new sensors are much more capable at adjusting and adapting themselves on the fly with hardware changes like this.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:01 PM

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
2016 c450 / 2016 VW Jetta 1.8t / 2006 Wrangler X
Not to confuse the issue, but I'll give you my take on the AWE Track . It's a true dual, with a center muffler but no resonator. It's loud all the time, it buzzes and drones on the highway, it annoys my neighbors on bark to life and coming home, and my wife says there is something wrong with my brain.
It doesn't bother me at all, and it is every valet's favorite car, but you should k ow that a v6, even a turbo one, needs resonators to sound the best. Its just the motors tone. It doesn't get angry until it's time to grab another gear. On the way up it just sounds kind of hollow.
I'm in my car for coming up on 2 years and getting to that, "shoulda had a v8" mood. I need to make drug dealer money so i can afford an e63 long roof next time .
Old 02-15-2018, 04:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
c63 amg 2010
Hey guys.

I picked up my C43 last month and have been loving it. However, I wish the PE was slightly louder - especially on startups. Has anyone taken off the resonator with the PE? Would I lose any performance in doing so?

I've a c43 with PE, i remove the center resonator, it's just PERFECT. With valve open, it's pretty loud. No drone on highway when the valve is closed.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:17 PM

Received 359 Likes on 231 Posts
You could also see:

and

... though neither really addresses the "what's the drone factor" issue.
The following users liked this post:
AMG C43 3LV6 (11-29-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by user33
You could also see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOm_-hyGgHY
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIC7w18FE8Q

... though neither really addresses the "what's the drone factor" issue.
This guy does not have a PE though, so its not a fair comparison. The cars with PE have an exhaust sound controller which non PE cars doesn't.

Originally Posted by Josephdl
I've a c43 with PE, i remove the center resonator, it's just PERFECT. With valve open, it's pretty loud. No drone on highway when the valve is closed.
Do you have any videos by any chance? Also what were the changes to the sound? It just got louder that's about it? Or the cracks and pops increased as well?
Old 11-08-2018, 12:13 AM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
AMG C43 3LV6
Bump.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:20 AM

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
I am looking for it to be louder overall - not just on startup. I got quoted for a resonator delete at something like $80. Super cheap.
I have the resonator delete with PE. The exhaust volume is about 25% louder than stock. The pops and bangs are a lot louder than stock. Still near silent with the exhaust in quiet mode.

This is a little bit of rasp around 2300 rpm if you are about 50% throttle, but not really a big deal. You can also hear the exhaust valves open and close if you have the rear seats down.

Great mod for $80 though. I would get it again.
AMG C43 3LV6 (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 01:34 AM

AMG C43 3LV6
Originally Posted by HTXgearhead

I have the resonator delete with PE. The exhaust volume is about 25% louder than stock. The pops and bangs are a lot louder than stock. Still near silent with the exhaust in quiet mode.

This is a little bit of rasp around 2300 rpm if you are about 50% throttle, but not really a big deal. You can also hear the exhaust valves open and close if you have the rear seats down.

Do you get drone? A few posters have commented that they get this esp on the highway?
Old 11-08-2018, 10:06 AM

2018 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by AMG C43 3LV6
Do you get drone? A few posters have commented that they get this esp on the highway?
I haven’t noticed any drone. I will record a video on my drive home tonight.

Here is the link to the video, I switch to open exhaust at 35 seconds. It’s still too quiet in the car to really hear anything. I’ve had very loud exhausts on past cars, so I might not be the best one to ask.

Last edited by HTXgearhead; 11-09-2018 at 10:15 AM.
AMG C43 3LV6 (11-08-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 04:38 AM

AMG C43 3LV6

I haven’t noticed any drone. I will record a video on my drive home tonight.

Here is the link to the video, I switch to open exhaust at 35 seconds. It’s still too quiet in the car to really hear anything. I’ve had very loud exhausts on past cars, so I might not be the best one to ask. https://youtu.be/gYNDxCGK5Pg
Love your drive home by the way looks like good roads. Being in Australia its nice to see other C43's all over the world.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:52 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 G63, 2018 GLC43

I also have pe. That remains after resonator delete?
Old 10-01-2020, 05:04 PM

2018 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by Bob Meade
I also have pe. That remains after resonator delete?
Removing the resonator won’t have any effect on the exhaust valves if that’s your question. Two small sections of tubing replace the resonator, really simple install and can be reversed if you don’t like it.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 G63, 2018 GLC43
Removing the resonator won’t have any effect on the exhaust valves if that’s your question. Two small sections of tubing replace the resonator, really simple install and can be reversed if you don’t like it.
Thanks. Yea could not have worded my question any worse but you answered it. I was thinking about the resonator as the back end by the valves. You removed what I have seen called the suitcase I think. I'd like to go full straight pipe but I have heard that the PE will throw car into limp mode if valves are not present. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2023, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 amg
Is there anyone here that is selling the resonator from amg Performance exhaust?